Today, Living Nomads will lead you to a charming country, mixed with nature, animals near Taipei (Taipei), but will not be the Jiufen or Shifen, Yang Ming Shan, National Palace Museum or Tamsui, which is Thousand Island Lake — Shiding Thousand Island Lake Taiwan, is only a few hours drive from central Taipei. Now, let’s discover the beautiful scenery of Shiding Thousand Island Lake in Taipei in one day itinerary with Living Nomads below.
- Jiufen travel blog — Jiufen day trip from Taipei: How to spend 1 perfect day in Jiufen?
- Taipei itinerary 3 days — What to do in Taipei for 3 days?
- Must eat food in Taipei — Top 23+ best street food in Taipei & best places to eat them
- Taipei night market food — Top 18 best Taipei street food night market you should try
- What to do in Taipei at night? — Top 8 best things to do in Taipei at night you definitely to try
Thousand Island Lake (石碇 千島湖), the name is very strange? What a large island there are thousands of islands. In fact, this is a lake for the whole of Taipei surrounded by tea farms. Thousand Island Lake hidden on a mountain, in the middle of the lake is the island of green trees, located in the middle of the water that makes sense like there are thousands of islands.
What are things to see in the Shiding Thousand Island Lake Taiwan?
Thousand Island Lake
As introduced from the beginning, this beautiful lake is the main reason for you to come here. A lake is hidden on the mountain that not many tourists or even Taiwanese know. A day to breathe fresh air in this place will not have a bald smell, no smell of trash, not crowded makes you feel more comfortable, spoiled green air. The best time to visit here is from February to June, fresh weather, no rain and many patches of fog, you can spoil the whole scene without being blindfolded. July is hot as fire, not up here, remember to bring umbrellas, sunscreen types to avoid hot weather.
Ba Gua Tea Garden
Because the rainfall in the Thousand Island Lake is enough as well as the water drainage is very good, so this lake is surrounded by tea hills. The hills here are arranged in a straight staircase, bluish eye. One of the best tea hills is Ba Gua tea hill because there is a small observatory, nice location for the panoramic view. Lake Island as well as tea hills. Here you can also enjoy delicious delicacy tea as well as learn about how to make tea. Particularly, many people also praise the noodle soup with tea flower oil and traditional noodle (traditional noodle pancake). You should try to eat when coming here.
See fish and ferns along the Jungualiao River Trail – Jingualiao Fish & Fern
Jungualiao River also known as the Yellow River because when the sun falls down, the sun spread across the river to feel like the river is covered with gold, very beautiful. Along the Jungualiao River, there is a memorial trail along the river, many undulating rocks will make you feel this is a stream rather than a river. This is a pristine forest, a nature reserve is very interesting when walking along the trail, you will see the flocks of fish swimming, various ferns, wild birds in the sun, just look like stepping into a painting. Although trekking through this area, but no heavy breath, sweat because surrounded by trees, at the foot of the cool super cool water, plus the wind blowing sure is more wonderful when you sit under the air conditioner.
Shiding Ancient Town (Shiding Old Street)
Shiding is a small peaceful town located in the Thousand Island Lake area. Far from the Qing Dynasty, thanks to its ideal geographic location, it has become an ideal place for everyone to relax, in addition, a town is also a trading place, and transporting tea is bustling. Today, this ancient town becomes a great place to visit or relax in the weekend of the Taiwanese people. The interesting thing about Shiding is that the houses are very “beautiful”. The tall, thin, well-built buildings are supported by the below pillars like a floating cliff next to the river. Shiding is not as crowded as in the Jiufen, people here are extremely pleasant and hospitable. Come here, you remember to try two dishes of the Shiding is the dumplings and tofu which thanks to the clear water and “delicious” has created a unique tofu.
Besides, you can visit the house which makes the drugs for over 100 years, visit local food outlets, and especially in the central part of Shiding, there is a small, clear and cold stream for visitors to rest, chatting and foot bathing is also great relaxation.
How to get to Thousand Island Lake from Taipei?
Address: No.16, Shizaitoukeng Ln., Sec. 6, Beiyi Rd., Shiding Dist., New Taipei City
By Car: The ideal way that you have a car and get there by yourself with the address above, about 60 minutes to arrive.
By Bus + MRT: How to get to Pinglin from Taipei? Take MRT to Xindian Station and take Green 12 bus to Pinglin Town. From Pinglin take the bus to Shisangu. Then, you can use the car and walk about 2.6 kilometers and you can easy to find this ideal place.
Refer to Taipei Tea Culture Day Tour: Explore the Bagua Tea Plantation at the stunning Thousand Island Lake in Shinding.
Some best day tours, trips, activities and transfer services, tickets in, to and from Taipei you can refer to
- Taoyuan Airport Private Transfers (TPE) for Taipei
- Sedan Taoyuan Airport Transfers (TPE) for Taipei
- [SALE] Taoyuan Airport MRT Ticket & Exclusive Shopping Coupon
- Luxury Taoyuan Airport Transfers (TPE) for Taipei
- Explore Taipei City
- Taipei Free Walking Tour Historic Route
- Taipei Double Decker Bus Tour
- Taipei Popular Sightseeing Private Car Charter : Jiufen, Pingxi, and North Coast (Chinese/English/Korean)
- Northeast Coast Scenic Day Tour
- Jiufen Shuttle Bus from Ximen
- Yehliu, Shifen, and Jiufen Day Tour with Korean and English Speaking Guides
- Taipei: Yehliu Geopark, Jiufen, Shifen, and Golden Waterfall Day Tour
- EasyCard (TPE Airport Pick Up)
- Klook Pass Taipei (For international travelers)
- Taipei 101 Observatory Ticket
- Maokong Gondola Ticket
- Yeliou, Jinguashih, Juifen and Shihfen Join Day Tour
- Taipei Unlimited Fun Pass
- Taipei: Beitou and Yangmingshan One-Day Tour
- [10% Off + 1 Extra Free Day] 4G SIM Card (TW Airport Pick Up) for Taiwan from Chunghwa Telecom
- 4G SIM Card (TPE Airport Pick Up) for Taiwan from Far EasTone Telecom
- 4G WiFi (TW Airport Pick Up) for Taiwan
- 4G Portable WiFi for Taiwan from Uroaming (Unlimited Data)
- 4G Portable WiFi for Taiwan from WiFiBB (Unlimited Data)
- 4G LTE WiFi (TW Airport Pick Up) for Japan
- [Sale – Taiwan Food Promo] Taiwan High Speed Rail (THSR) Discounted Ticket from Taipei
- Taiwan High Speed Rail (THSR) Consecutive Unlimited Pass (2 or 3 Days)
- Taiwan High Speed Rail (THSR) Discounted Ticket from Taoyuan
- THSR Exclusive Discount One Way Ticket from Taoyuan (Two Tickets for the Price of One)
Are you finding more top things to do in Taipei: Tours, activities, attractions and other things? Read more: Taipei travel blog — The fullest Taipei city guide for a wonderful trip to Taipei for the first-timers.