Regarding Asia’s top travel destinations, Taiwan is always one of the most mentioned countries. If you have decided to go to Taiwan, Taichung is a city you should visit. With the recent prosperity of Taichung, it is only natural that the City offers a haven for snacks and shopping. So, where to shop in Taichung, where to go shopping in Taichung? Let’s check out our Taichung shopping guide with the suggested of 4 best night markets in Taichung, best shopping malls in Taichung, best shopping places in Taichung (best places to shop in Taichung) where you can find a wide range of items, products, souvenirs to bring back as follows!
- Top night markets in Taiwan — 11 most famous, must-go & best night markets in Taiwan
- Taichung one day itinerary — How to spend 1 day in Taichung from Taipei?
- What to buy in Taiwan? — 15+ best gifts, must buy souvenirs & best things to buy in Taiwan
- Where to shop in Taipei blog — 5 Cheap places to shop in Taipei & best shopping area in Taipei
- Must buy souvenir in Taiwan — Top 17+ most famous, cheap & best things to buy in Taiwan
If you want to find a place to experience the ever-changing Taichung, you do not need to look further. In Taichung, there are many diverse night markets for your exploration.
Overview of Taichung City
Taichung City is a landmark in west-central Taiwan. The name Taichung means the center of Taiwan. It has a humid subtropical climate, with an average temperature of 23 degrees centigrade and an average annual rainfall of over 1,700 mm, Taichung has been selected as “the most livable city”. The average humidity in this city is 80%. Taichung has a mild climate compared to other major cities in Taiwan. Taichung welcomes visitors with a pleasant climate throughout the year. The rivers in and around Taichung make it more beautiful and moderate its climate.
It also has a highly developed industrial and commercial base, a thriving cultural scene, friendly people, and beautiful scenery, all of which contribute to its status as an international-class city.
With such advantages above, Taichung city tourism becomes a must-experience when coming to Taiwan, especially the number of department stores and distinctive shopping areas and boutiques, which you should check out!
Where to shop in Taichung?
Fengjia Night Market (also called Feng Chia Night Market)
Address: Wenhua Road, Xitun District, Taichung City, Taiwan 407
Phone: +886 4 2451 5940
Hours: 4:00 pm to 2:00 am
Fengjia Night Market, by far the most famous of the many night markets in Taichung, Taiwan, was officially established in 1963. Initially, this was just a small local market, but with the modern transport network, Fengjia Night Market has developed and is now increasingly crowded. It is the epitome of the Taiwanese night market. In particular, sightseeing in Taichung attracts many tourists to explore. So far, Fengjia night market attracts over one hundred million visitors per year and generates billions of Yuan in revenue.
The Fengjia night market has various items such as clothes, trinkets, bags, shoes, hats, and fashion accessories, which are unique and affordable.
In addition, by night, Fengjia is one of the most famous sights in Taichung, with a variety of local delicacies on offer. Some dishes can be mentioned such as pancakes, fried oysters with eggs, spicy duck heads, sausage rolls, and more.
Taroko Mall (#where to shop in taichung)
Address: No. 186, Section 4, Fuxing Road, East District, Taichung City, Taiwan 401
Phone: +886 4 3611 8888
Hours: 11:00 am to 10:00 pm
Taroko Mall is one of the largest shopping malls in Taichung. It was originally run by De An Company as De An Mall. Renamed MODE Mall in March 2010, Mode Mall later was acquired by Taroko Development and renamed Taroko Mall at that time.
This commercial building encompasses six floors underground and eleven floors above ground. B1 and B2 levels accommodate a hypermarket and a food court. B3 to B6 levels are for parking. Each floor has a different theme and focuses on many large and small businesses. Apart from shopping and eating up, visitors can participate in many fun and attractive game shows.
Taroko Mall emphasizes recreational sports, family leisure, lifestyle proposals, delicacies, and shopping by introducing unique themes and innovative projects from overseas in this world-class shopping center.
Yizhong Street Night Market (#best places to shop in taichung)
Address: Yizhong Street, North District, Taichung City, Taiwan 404
Phone: +886 4 2223 7266
Hours: 11:00 am to 10:00 pm
Yizhong Street is a shopping street focused on low-priced trendy in the daytime, and for its many cram schools. This night market is very close to the National Taiwan University of Science and Technology, therefore passengers can travel here by bus. Yizhong Jie Street Night Market is home to many fashion items.
This bustling market also has many stalls selling delicious Taiwanese dishes such as chicken fillets, grilled meat skewers, grilled quail eggs, bubble milk tea, Fengren ice, stinky tofu, etc. With delicious food and affordable fashion that suits the younger generation, Yizhong Street Business District is a night market that is always crowded during the day as well.
Tunghai Villa Night Market
Address: No. 9, Xinxing Road, Longjing District, Taichung City, Taiwan 434
Hours: Open 24 hours
It will take about 20 minutes to drive from Taichung city center to Tunghai Night Market. This shopping district in Taichung originally consisted of only a few stores, but has since grown into an entire district with many stores starting Tunghai University, Tunghai Night Market caters to residents and students alike. It’s a popular student hangout and can be a relaxing place to while away an evening if you’re living nearby. The streets start to get busy in the afternoon as a variety of street food vendors and themed restaurants open for business.
In addition to fulfilling your appetites, you can also enjoy shopping in the Tunghai Night Market where you can find trendy clothes, Korean-style outfits, and many renowned brands.
Tips to shop in Taichung (#where to go shopping in taichung)
To be able to get good, high-quality items at super bargain prices, do not ignore the following tips when shopping in Taichung:
- Prices often vary between stores. Therefore, you can compare the values of your favorite products at affordable prices. Taichung is home to many famous night markets with a wide variety of products. Hence, it is not necessary to go to commercial centers or hypermarkets, instead, you can shop at flea markets and night markets with low prices.
- You should learn some common communication sentences. To avoid complicated shopping, keep a few essential phrases in mind when shopping to facilitate negotiations with the sellers. At flea markets or night markets in Taichung, you should check carefully for damaged or non-returnable items after purchasing.
- You should bring cash for convenient payment at flea markets and night markets. There are many shops, which do not trade in US dollars, therefore visitors should note that enough exchange of foreign currency is done to be able to shop in Taichung comfortably.
You should try many attractive experiences in Taichung. In particular, the best shopping places, which you must visit. The above shopping markets shall reflect a part of the Taichung night market culture. In addition, there are excellent scenic views and unique cuisines that provide diverse selections. All of them bring your trip perfectly and comfortably.
Some best day tours, trips, activities and transfer services, tickets in, to and from Taichung you can refer to
- Taoyuan Airport Private Transfers (TPE) for Taichung
- Private One Way Transfers Between Taichung and Sun Moon Lake
- Private City Transfers Between Sun Moon Lake and Taipei/Taichung
- Shared Transfers between Taichung and Cingjing
- Central Taiwan Private Sightseeing Car Charter
- Gaomei Wetland & Rainbow Military Community
- Taichung Ruins Night Walking Tour
- THSR One Way Ticket to or from Taichung
- Taiwan 4G travel sim with unlimited capacity
- Bus tickets from Taichung to Cingjing and vice versa
- Day tour to Alishan from Taichung
- Day tour to visit Cingjing Farm from Taichung
- [10% Off + 1 Extra Free Day] 4G SIM Card (TW Airport Pick Up) for Taiwan from Chunghwa Telecom
- 4G SIM Card (TPE Airport Pick Up) for Taiwan from Far EasTone Telecom
- 4G WiFi (TW Airport Pick Up) for Taiwan
- [Sale – Taiwan Food Promo] Taiwan High Speed Rail (THSR) Discounted Ticket from Taipei
- Taiwan High Speed Rail (THSR) Consecutive Unlimited Pass (2 or 3 Days)
- Taiwan High Speed Rail (THSR) Discounted Ticket from Taoyuan
- THSR Exclusive Discount One Way Ticket from Taoyuan (Two Tickets for the Price of One)
Are you looking for more top things to do in Taichung: Tours, activities, attractions and other things? Read more: Taichung blog — The fullest Taichung travel guide for a wonderful budget trip to Taichung. And Let’s check it out here.