What is Wulai, where is it? I’ve never heard of it before although I’ve been to Taiwan several times, so I didn’t know where it is. Flipping the map, oh, it is simply a village in New Taipei City (to the south of Taipei), nothing more and nothing less. But… It seems that what is less expected gives us more experience beyond our expectations. Wulai is such a place. So, how to get to Wulai from Taipei and what to do in Wulai (Wulai New Taipei city)? Let’s check out our Wulai travel guide with my field trip on how to spend a day in Wulai (Wulai day trip), best places to visit and top things to do in Wulai to figure out the answer!
- Wulai travel blog — How to explore the peaceful Wulai in 1 day trip (Wulai day trip) of New Taipei
- Volando Urai Hot Spring review — The fullest review hot spring bath at Volando Urai Hot Spring Resort & Spa in Taipei
- When is the best time to visit Taiwan? — The best, worst, cheapest & best season to visit Taiwan
- Cherry blossom in Taiwan 2024 forecast — The best time & 8 best places to see cherry blossoms in Taiwan
- Top bars in Taiwan — 9+ top nightclubs & best bars in Taiwan
From Taipei to Wulai takes almost 1 hour combined between MRT and transit bus, the travel time makes me somewhat tired and not too excited. But when I arrrived, the sun was rising and the mineral stream flowing through Wulai has a beautiful emerald water color, leaning against the mountains and woods behind, creating an overwhelmingly beautiful scene.
Wulai was damaged by a big storm in 2015, so this area still has many constructions in the process of rebuilding, generally when I visited many places have been rebuilt and operating normally. The stream was also beautiful and clean not like the pictures seen a few years ago, so you can rest assured.
Wulai travel guide: What to do in Wulai and things to do in Wulai
When coming here, there are 2 must-do things: Wandering, sightseeing around and hot spring bath experience.
Wandering and sightseeing around
In Wulai, there is the famous red-painted Wulai Suspension Bridge 烏來吊橋 like the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco (of course, smaller). But thanks to its color againts the green background color of the trees and the emerald green of the water below that creates a picturesque beauty.
On one side of the bridge, there is also the Wulai Fude Temple 烏來福德宮 which also adds an ancient look to the space here.
Sightseeing in Wulai you just need to strolling along the main river, crossing the bridges or get into the village center to enjoy the view. Wulai village with its back lying on mountains and facing the water which is very good in Feng shui, creating extremely charming beauty, enough for us to fall in love. But it is best to come in the dry season, because during the rainy season, the spring water will not turn turquoise because it is mixed with the mud.
Hot spring bath experience
There are two type of hot spring baths, one is the public bath in hot spring public areas, and the other is the private bath in the resorts. Because there is no need to stay at the resort overnight, I booked a voucher at Volando Urai Spring Spa & Resort on Klook which is a simple package for you to take a hot spring bath for 1.5 hours with a private room and window overlooking the stream, which is extremely relaxing with jade-colored water right below the resort and the tree-filled mountain next to it creates a perfect space and atmosphere for relaxation. You will then be led upstairs to enjoy a set lunch of five different dishes presented like fine dining.
This package is only about $50 which I find quite cheap for 2 people. But it’s not include the transfer fee to the resort. If you want to try it, you can refer and book here.
Note: The price of this package will increase to $85 in the summer.
Wulai day trip: How to get to Wulai from Taipei?
MRT & Bus
Take the subway to Xindian Station (Xindian Line) is the last stop of the Green Line. Then, take bus 849 at the bus stop in front of the station, right behind the information counter, next to the taxi stand. The bus takes about 40 minutes (longer on weekends) to Wulai, every 15 minutes with a trip and costs NT$15. Wulai is the last stop, so you can enjoy the journey without worrying about getting off.
MRT & Shuttle Bus
Another way is to call directly to Volando Urai Spring Spa & Resort, they have daily direct transfers to the resort, which only takes about 20 minutes. The fee is NT$50/round trip. Phone number: +886-2-2661-6555/+886 2 2577 1589.
Definitely, the easiest and fastest way to get to Wulai is simply to take a taxi from Taipei. It’s only 30 minutes from Xindian MRT station, but not cheap. At Xindian taxi stand, they have a taxi fare sign with a pre-determined fare (depending on the destination). Getting to Wulai from Xindian station will cost you NT$600/one-way. Returning from Wulai by taxi can be negotiated and should be cheaper than NT$600, but also not cheaper than take a bus. Sometimes during very busy times, with crowded tourists waiting for the bus, taxi drivers may show up offering to take four people to Wulai for NT$100 each. This is a good bargain if you want to get to Wulai quickly and comfortably.
Wulai travel guide: When should you go to Wulai?
You can visit Wulai all year round to soak in healthy mineral water. However, you should come on weekdays to avoid the overcrowded number of visitors from Taipei to Wulai on weekends. What I like most about Wulai is the lightness, tranquil, peace and absence of foreign tourists, you just need to avoid come on weekends to avoid a large number of local visitors.
Some best day tours, trips, activities and transfer services, tickets in, to and from Taipei you can refer to
- Taoyuan Airport Private Transfers (TPE) for Taipei
- Sedan Taoyuan Airport Transfers (TPE) for Taipei
- [SALE] Taoyuan Airport MRT Ticket & Exclusive Shopping Coupon
- Luxury Taoyuan Airport Transfers (TPE) for Taipei
- Explore Taipei City
- Taipei Free Walking Tour Historic Route
- Taipei Double Decker Bus Tour
- Taipei Popular Sightseeing Private Car Charter : Jiufen, Pingxi, and North Coast (Chinese/English/Korean)
- Northeast Coast Scenic Day Tour
- Jiufen Shuttle Bus from Ximen
- Yehliu, Shifen, and Jiufen Day Tour with Korean and English Speaking Guides
- Taipei: Yehliu Geopark, Jiufen, Shifen, and Golden Waterfall Day Tour
- EasyCard (TPE Airport Pick Up)
- Klook Pass Taipei (For international travelers)
- Taipei 101 Observatory Ticket
- Maokong Gondola Ticket
- Yeliou, Jinguashih, Juifen and Shihfen Join Day Tour
- Taipei Unlimited Fun Pass
- Taipei: Beitou and Yangmingshan One-Day Tour
- [10% Off + 1 Extra Free Day] 4G SIM Card (TW Airport Pick Up) for Taiwan from Chunghwa Telecom
- 4G SIM Card (TPE Airport Pick Up) for Taiwan from Far EasTone Telecom
- 4G WiFi (TW Airport Pick Up) for Taiwan
- 4G Portable WiFi for Taiwan from Uroaming (Unlimited Data)
- 4G Portable WiFi for Taiwan from WiFiBB (Unlimited Data)
- 4G LTE WiFi (TW Airport Pick Up) for Japan
- [Sale – Taiwan Food Promo] Taiwan High Speed Rail (THSR) Discounted Ticket from Taipei
- Taiwan High Speed Rail (THSR) Consecutive Unlimited Pass (2 or 3 Days)
- Taiwan High Speed Rail (THSR) Discounted Ticket from Taoyuan
- THSR Exclusive Discount One Way Ticket from Taoyuan (Two Tickets for the Price of One)
Are you finding more top things to do in Taipei: Tours, activities, attractions and other things? Read more: Taipei travel blog — The fullest Taipei city guide for a wonderful trip to Taipei for the first-timers.