Summer has come, I packed up again and hit the road, this time to the land where the sun rises the earliest in the world — Japan, dubbed the land of the rising sun, the land of cherry blossoms and one of the world’s most beautiful autumn places as well. I didn’t have too much time for this trip because I planned for some long upcoming trips, so I chose to go to Japan for a short time, enough to embrace the rainfall in Tokyo, strolling around Shinjuku, visit Naritasan Shinshoji Temple and fruit picking in Yamanashi. So, what to do and how to spend 4 days in Japan? Let’s check out our suggested Japan itinerary 4 days 3 nights on my field trip in summer to visit Narita, Tokyo and Mount Fuji with a very detailed plan from how to get to Japan, where to go, what to do as well as the trip cost.
- What to do in Japan? — 100 things to do in Japan & best, must things to do in Japan
- Japan itinerary 9 days — How to spend 9 days in Japan to visit: Osaka – Kobe – Kyoto – Nara?
- 8 recommended onsen (hot springs) you should visit when traveling in Beppu, Japan
- Explore Golden Gai Tokyo — The unique nightlife in Shinjuku, Tokyo
- India itinerary 10 days — How to spend 10 days in India perfectly?
Japan itinerary 4 days: Fly to Japan
I chose to flying with Vietnam Airlines because I want to fly directly and Vietnam Airlines allows up to 40kg of free checked baggage, which is convenient because every trip to Japan I often bring back a bunch of beautiful things, delicious food and buy all kinds of miscellaneous things, usually at least 30kg will be needed to store. There is a small note, you should bring one normal suitcase and another empty suitcase to be able to shop comfortably.
The airfare from Saigon, Vietnam to Tokyo ranges: USD 439 – USD 657/round-trip. You should book one month in advance to get low fare.
How to spend 4 days in Japan?
Here are my detailed suggested Japan itinerary 4 days 3 nights.
Day 1: Saigon – Narita, visit Shinshoji temple in Narita, try Shabu Shabu hot pot and stay overnight at Toyoko Inn.
Day 2: Tokyo – Odaiba, visit Asakusa Shrine in Tokyo, take photos with Tokyo Skytree, visit Akihabara electronics district, go to Teamlab Planets – an impressive digital museum, go to Odaiba to see the Statue of Liberty and overnight at Grand Hotel Kanachu in Kanagawa near mount Fuji to visit it on the next day.
Day 3: Tokyo – Kawaguchiko – Fuji: Visit Yamanashi Fuehukigawa Fruit Park to pick seasonal fruits, experience an earthquake at Earthquake Simulation Center, visit Oishi Park flower garden, visit Oshino Hakkai ancient village. Overnight at Route Inn and bath onsen.
Day 4: Fuji – Narita, shopping at Aeon Mall and fly back to Vietnam.
Japan itinerary 4 days: The most impressive places and best things to do of the trip on 4 days in Japan journey.
Naritasan Shinshoji Temple, Narita
Shinshoji Temple left an impression on me because of the peace and grandeur of its architecture, coming here you will feel as to live in a completely different space. This place is not crowded but the area is extremely huge, to walk and explore entire the temple area you will need a whole day.
Address: 1 Narita, Chiba 286-0023, Japan
Founder: Kanchō Daisōjō
Opened: 940 AD
teamLab Planets TOKYO
In Tokyo, there is not only one teamLab museum but also 2, one is teamlab Planets in Toyosu and another is teamlab Borderless in Odaiba. You can go to 1 of 2 because each place has extremely impressive digital galleries. I chose teamlab Planets because that day Borderless closed for maintenance. But really overwhelmed with the exhibitions that hit all the senses, here you will be able to step into the star-lit room, go into the luminescent lake, and watch the night sky full of glowing flowers.
Address: 6 Chome-1-16 Toyosu, Koto City, Tokyo 135-0061, Japan
Entrance fee: 3,200 JPY
Peach picking in Yamanashi
During this trip to Japan, I had the opportunity to visit Yamanashi Prefecture to visit fruit farms, Yamanashi Prefecture is considered the fruit garden of the whole of Japan with a variety of fruits grown all year round.
June is the peach harvest season. Delicious, succulent and ripe. When I arrived, I saw many green grape vines, ready for August to be harvested. Coming to Yamanashi, except for winter, you can participate in fruit picking activities at the garden in the rest of the seasons: Cherry (April-May), peaches or apples (July 6), grapes (November 8).
Lavender Garden – Oishi Park in Kawaguchiko
Coming here, you will not only see lavender flowers but also many other flowers. Don’t forget to try the lavender ice cream here for only 350-400 yen.
Address: ２５２５番地の１１先 Oishi, Fujikawaguchiko, Minamitsuru District, Yamanashi 401-0305, Japan
Getting there: The way to go to Oishi Park is relatively simple, from Tokyo you can depart from Shinjuku and Shinagawa stations, there are trains to Kawaguchiko Station. From Kawaguchio Station, take another bus trip following the instructions of this link to get there. https://goo.gl/maps/NUetGQwETH4ZhrWSA
Oshino Hakkai Ancient Village
Oshino Hakkai is the perfect choice for my summer trip. Located in the area of the five lakes around Mount Fuji, this ancient village has eight clear spring water ponds which completely formed by melting ice from Mount Fuji for over the past 80 years . That’s why the water is crystal clear.
Address: Shibokusa, Oshino, Minamitsuru District, Yamanashi 401-0511, Japan
Getting there: The way to get to Oshino Hakkai is very simple. From Tokyo, take the train from Shinjuku to Kawaguchiko Station, then there will be a bus that runs every an hour from Kawaguchiko Station to the old village.
Japan itinerary 4 days 3 nights: Trip cost for 4 days in Japan
Airfare: USD 615 because I bought it 2 weeks in advance
- Transportation: $8.77 (by public transport)
- Shabu-shabu hot pot: $13.16
- Stay: Toyoko Inn: $140.22/night/double room for 2 people
- Traveling from Narita to Tokyo: $21.94/person
- Getting around Tokyo: $26.32
- Tickets to teamlab Planets: $28.48/ticket
- Lunch buffet at Carne Station Ginza: $10.97/person
- Dinner: $13.16
- Grand Hotel Kanachu: $140.40/night/double room for 2 people
- Tickets to the peach garden: $13.16
- Gettingn from Kanagawa to Misaka noen: $39.49
- Lunch at Houraiya: $10.97
- Earthquake Museum: $20.18
- Traveling all day: $70.11 because sometimes I had to take a taxi
- Dinner at Route Inn: $13.16
- Stay: Route Inn Hotel: $140.40/night/double room for 2 people (Agoda.com or Booking.com)
- Getting from Fuji to Narita: $61.43 by bus and train
- Lunch: $10.97
- Transfer from Aeon to the airport: $7.02
A TOTAL OF $1,405.08 for this self-sufficient trip.
Some best day tours, trips, activities and transfer services, tickets in, to and from Tokyo you can refer to
- Private Narita International Airport Transfers (NRT) for Tokyo 23 Wards, Hakone, or Karuizawa
- Airport Limousine Bus Transfers from/to Narita and Haneda International Airport (Free Wifi Onboard)
- Nikko Cultural Day Tour from Tokyo
- Tokyo Subway Ticket (24, 48, or 72 Hours)
- Tokyo Skyliner and Tokyo Subway Ticket
- 4G Prepaid Sim Card (JP Airports Pick Up) for Japan
- 4G WiFi (Japan Pick Up) for Japan
- JR Pass for Whole Japan (7, 14, or 21 Days)
Are you finding more top things to do in Japan: Tours, activities, attractions and other things? Let’s check it out here.