Ximending Night Market is a pedestrian shopping area during the day and night. This is a place where many things are trendy, exciting and very strange. Without a doubt, this is the coolest neighborhood and frequented by young people living in Taipei. The following article will introduce you to the top 10 interesting and unique experiences you can do when visiting Ximending night market.
So, is Ximending night market, how to visit Ximending night market, what to do in Ximending night market? Let’s check out our what to do in Ximending night market travel blog with the fullest Itsukushima travel guide from how to get to Ximending, what to eat as well as best things to do in Ximending to help you maximize your trip as follows!
You can also find at Ximending night market some of the best street food in Taiwan, as well as many great (and some weird) restaurants there. Details about what to eat at Ximending night market are also in this article.
Where is Ximending Night Market?
Ximending shopping district has existed since the Japanese era in Taiwan. It was built as an entertainment area just outside the West Gate, in the Wanhua district of Old Taipei City. The best way to get to Ximending Night Market is to take the subway to exit 1 or 6 of Ximending subway station.
There are many good hotels in Ximending. Deciding where to stay in Ximending is not easy. You can search for a list of hostels or hotels on Agoda or Booking.
If you are wondering what to do in Ximending night market, here are 10 fun ideas for you!
Ximending night market closing time varies; most stores close around 9pm or 10pm, some stay open until midnight.
Experience an Ancient Knife Massage and Read the I Ching
This is not a quirky new trend, but a holistic and spiritual healing method that has been around since ancient times in Chinese history.
If knife massage doesn’t sound intimidating to you, head to Light Project Ximending, where you can participate in this ancient form of healing.
See the street art on display at Graffiti Lane
Also known as American Street (美國 街), Lane 96 Kunming Street and Wuchang Street are outdoor art galleries of legit street art.
Strolling these streets, you can come across the works of famous Taiwanese graffiti artists such as Mr. Ogay and internationally renowned artists such as Alex Face.
Relive history at Ximen Red House
Built in 1908, Ximen Red House, with its red brick exterior, played an important role in becoming an entertainment center and market for commoners at the time.
Today, it is one of the important tourist attractions, where visitors can peruse old photographs from the founding days of Ximending district and attend weekend art markets.
Explore the neon-lit streets of Ximending Pedestrian Zone
Take your time to wander through Taipei’s bustling commercial and entertainment district. Pass through the dragon-accented archway to discover a variety of shops, theaters, and restaurants. Stop at a pho restaurant to try savory beef noodle soup or a steaming hot pot. End the evening by browsing the shops in Ximending market to buy unique souvenirs.
Enjoy Taiwanese Street Food
Taiwanese street food is rich and novel. There are a few dishes you can try:
- Beef ball (best food here)
- Sesame oil chicken
- Tomato candy
- Fried Chicken: Hot-Star Large Fried Chicken – Address: No.12-2 Underground Street, Zhanqian, Wanhua
- Tofu: Origin Tofu Pudding – Address: No. 265, Xining S. Rd., Wanhua Dist., Taipei;
- Korean food: Wuchang street
Get a tattoo at Ximending Tattoo Street
Saving the moment of coming to Ximending with a tattoo is a very suitable idea for young people.
Or you can simply visit to see how tattoo artists create their work.
Spend a movie night in Ximending Cinema Street
Spend an evening exploring one of the four famous cinemas that line Ximending Cinema Street. Since 1950, Ximending night market has been famous as a cinema center. The larger Ximen area is said to have around 20 theaters.
Don’t forget the Snow King!
Snow King has a huge inventory of interesting ice cream flavors that are worth a try such as:
- Taiwanese beer
Located one block east of the Ximending pedestrian area and across from Zhongshan Hall, the family-run Snow King has been serving up delicious and unusual ice cream since 1947.
You’ve played doll pick-up before, you have to try it when you go to Taiwan, right?
This is one of the most popular things to do around Ximending night market, so you won’t have to look far to find it. This neighborhood is home to the highest concentration of gaming consoles in Taiwan.
Taste Taipei’s Best Craft Beer at Driftwood Ximending
Driftwood Ximending is the official brewery of Taihu Brewery, one of Taiwan’s finest craft breweries. Their pints are quite pricey, but worth it if you’re a craft beer lover.
And of course “Shopping”
Ximending night market is also a shopping paradise with all kinds of items. Here you can shop for souvenirs, Taiwanese specialties… to bring back.
Ximending Night Market is not like every other night market in Taiwan. This is a great nightlife destination for tourists as well as locals. Whether you are in Taipei for business or pleasure, take some time to visit and experience these 10 things to do at Ximending night market for more great memories.
Some best day tours, trips, activities and transfer services, tickets in, to and from Taipei you can refer to
- Taoyuan Airport Private Transfers (TPE) for Taipei
- Sedan Taoyuan Airport Transfers (TPE) for Taipei
- [SALE] Taoyuan Airport MRT Ticket & Exclusive Shopping Coupon
- Luxury Taoyuan Airport Transfers (TPE) for Taipei
- Explore Taipei City
- Taipei Free Walking Tour Historic Route
- Taipei Double Decker Bus Tour
- Taipei Popular Sightseeing Private Car Charter : Jiufen, Pingxi, and North Coast (Chinese/English/Korean)
- Northeast Coast Scenic Day Tour
- Jiufen Shuttle Bus from Ximen
- Yehliu, Shifen, and Jiufen Day Tour with Korean and English Speaking Guides
- [10% Off + 1 Extra Free Day] 4G SIM Card (TW Airport Pick Up) for Taiwan from Chunghwa Telecom
- 4G SIM Card (TPE Airport Pick Up) for Taiwan from Far EasTone Telecom
- 4G WiFi (TW Airport Pick Up) for Taiwan
- 4G Portable WiFi for Taiwan from Uroaming (Unlimited Data)
- 4G Portable WiFi for Taiwan from WiFiBB (Unlimited Data)
- 4G LTE WiFi (TW Airport Pick Up) for Japan
- [Sale – Taiwan Food Promo] Taiwan High Speed Rail (THSR) Discounted Ticket from Taipei
- Taiwan High Speed Rail (THSR) Consecutive Unlimited Pass (2 or 3 Days)
- Taiwan High Speed Rail (THSR) Discounted Ticket from Taoyuan
- THSR Exclusive Discount One Way Ticket from Taoyuan (Two Tickets for the Price of One)
Are you finding more top things to do in Taipei: Tours, activities, attractions and other things? Read more: Taipei travel blog — The fullest Taipei city guide for a wonderful trip to Taipei for the first-timers.