Pearl milk tea, fish soup or seafood are the street foods that “knock you down” at first taste when coming to Taiwan. Let’s explore Taiwanese street foods through this Taiwan street food blog with top 10 Taiwan street foods you need to try (Taiwan must eat street food, mus try street food in Taiwan, Taiwan best treet food to eat), top food in Taiwan, best food to eat in Taiwan, famous food in Taiwan, most popular food in Taiwan including best food to try in Taiwan, must eat food in Taiwan (must eat in Taiwan) with Living Nomads below.
- Must eat food in Taipei — Top 23+ best street food in Taipei & best places to eat them
- Best beef noodle in Taipei — 9 best beef noodle restaurants in Taipei you should try
- Taipei night market food — Top 18 best Taipei street food night market you should try
- Best dessert in Taipei — Top 5 sweet cafes & best dessert restaurant in Taipei
- Ximending food blog — What to eat in Ximending, Taipei?
1. Pearl milk tea in Taipei (#best street food in Taiwan)
Coming to Taipei, you cannot ignore the night markets, because night market foods are also a quintessential part of the local cuisine. Walking around the famous night markets such as Si Lam Night Market or Gongguan Night Market, you can find delicious and cheap snacks such as dumplings, tofu, seafood, steamed buns, etc. Especially, you definitely should not overlook pearl milk tea, the delicious drink with chewy bobas. You can buy milk tea at many stores such as Chen San Ding.
2. Damsui District Iron Eggs
Cai Thuy is famous throughout Taiwan for delicious snacks such as fishball soup, crispy fried fish and “iron eggs”. Iron eggs are chicken or pigeons’ eggs stewed in soy sauce and spice for a long time, about a week until they harden and turn black. This dish is very popular, egg white is crunchy and the yolk is super tasty.
3. Seafood in Keelung
Coming to Keelung Night Market, you may want to try some of the best selling rice noodles, and seafood stalls. Here you definitely must not miss the rice noodles cooked with seafood soup in Ding Bian Cuo, one of the oldest stalls in the market.
4. Stuffed meatballs in Hsinchu
In the north of Hsinchu, especially in the Chenghuang night market, there are always plenty of try-worthy things like meatball soup, noodles, and stuffed meatballs. You should visit Oyster Omelet Wang to try out oysters and Ah-Cheng Rice Noodles to eat rice noodles and meatballs.
5. Fish ball soup in Chiufen
Chuifen is a beautiful touristy city located in northeastern Taiwan, about one hour drive from Taipei Capital. Coming here, you have to make sure that you must cover up the “combo” of fish ball soup, taro balls, and scrumptious roasted mushrooms.
6. Fried shrimp in Lugang
Lugang is one of Taiwan’s oldest port towns, specializing in snacks such as oyster omelette or fried shrimp with basil. There are also sweet desserts that are worth a try.
7. Tai Yang Bin / Sun cake in Taichung
To Taichung, you will enjoy a kind of cake with a very interesting name: sun cake. This is a very toothsome snack. The flat cake has a crispy crust and titillating fillers made with honey, mashed taro or candied barley.
8. Danzai Noodle in Tainan
Tainan, the capital of Taiwan, is famous for its Daizai noodles. This is a type of noodles with minced pork and shrimp. Previously, these noodles were sold from street vendors, but now they are available at luxury restaurants. In addition to danzai, there are other palatable dishes such as milkfish, eel noodles, scallop omelette, and prawn rolls.
The is an interesting story behind the name of this delicious noodle. Danzai means wood stick noodle. Do not get it wrong, it is not related to the stiffness and or the hard-to-swallow quality of the noodles a bit. Also known as the “low” or “slack” season noodle, this is a clever solution made by Taiwanese folks in the southern fishing village. These men carried a hard stick across their shoulders with two attached pots and tried to sell the noodle in lieu of fresh seafood. By that clever way, the villagers successfully made it through the hardship. Hence you know why there is only one shrimp on top of the bowl. Today, this eat redeems its position in Taiwan because mega restaurants show the huge interest in adding this dish to enrich their menus.
Meat and seafood are the two staples of this dish like other Taiwanese noodle soups. The broth contains marine flavors from stewed shrimp heads and fish.
9. Bianshi in Hualien
Coming to Hualien, there are two foodstuffs you must try – muaji and bianshi. Muaji cake is made of glutinous rice with sweet filler. Bianshi is a kind of won ton with pork and shrimp-based broth. Both of these eats are delicious and loved by many.
10. Pig blood jelly soup in Taitung
Pig blood jelly soup is a dish of jelly blood cut into small pieces and cooked in broth. This is considered a specialty dish in Taitung. In addition, Taitung is also famous for its delicious custard apple.
Some best day tours, trips, activities and transfer services, tickets in, to and from Taipei you can refer to
- Taoyuan Airport Private Transfers (TPE) for Taipei
- Sedan Taoyuan Airport Transfers (TPE) for Taipei
- [SALE] Taoyuan Airport MRT Ticket & Exclusive Shopping Coupon
- Luxury Taoyuan Airport Transfers (TPE) for Taipei
- Explore Taipei City
- Taipei Free Walking Tour Historic Route
- Taipei Double Decker Bus Tour
- Taipei Popular Sightseeing Private Car Charter : Jiufen, Pingxi, and North Coast (Chinese/English/Korean)
- Northeast Coast Scenic Day Tour
- Jiufen Shuttle Bus from Ximen
- Yehliu, Shifen, and Jiufen Day Tour with Korean and English Speaking Guides
- [10% Off + 1 Extra Free Day] 4G SIM Card (TW Airport Pick Up) for Taiwan from Chunghwa Telecom
- 4G SIM Card (TPE Airport Pick Up) for Taiwan from Far EasTone Telecom
- 4G WiFi (TW Airport Pick Up) for Taiwan
- 4G Portable WiFi for Taiwan from Uroaming (Unlimited Data)
- 4G Portable WiFi for Taiwan from WiFiBB (Unlimited Data)
- 4G LTE WiFi (TW Airport Pick Up) for Japan
- [Sale – Taiwan Food Promo] Taiwan High Speed Rail (THSR) Discounted Ticket from Taipei
- Taiwan High Speed Rail (THSR) Consecutive Unlimited Pass (2 or 3 Days)
- Taiwan High Speed Rail (THSR) Discounted Ticket from Taoyuan
- THSR Exclusive Discount One Way Ticket from Taoyuan (Two Tickets for the Price of One)
Are you finding more top things to do in Taipei: Tours, activities, attractions and other things? Read more: Taipei travel blog — The fullest Taipei city guide for a wonderful trip to Taipei for the first-timers.