Chiang Mai has many wonderful night markets, but the most famous (means the best known but not the best) is the Chiang Mai Night Bazaar. This is a daily night market and any visitor who comes to Chiang Mai must come here at least once. The market is quite bustling, with tons of things to see and buy. The market has 2 main areas, one for shopping and one for dining. In this article I will report as well as share my experience of going to the Chiang Mai Night Bazaar Market for you refer to. So, what’s hot in Chiang Mai Bazaar Night Market? Let’s check out our Chiang Mai Night Bazaar Market blog to explore one of the best night markets in Chiang Mai from how to get there, food you definitely must-try as well as discover many interesting things about this vibrant night market.
- Top Chiang Mai markets — 8 best markets in Chiang Mai & best night markets in Chiang Mai
- What to eat in Chatuchak? — 11+ must eat in Chatuchak & best food in Chatuchak
- Saturday Night Market Chiang Mai review — Experience one of most vibrant & best night markets in Chiang Mai
- Chatuchak market guide — 7 best Chatuchak market tips & useful Chatuchak shopping guide you should know
- Chatuchak food blog — Top 12 best foods at Chatuchak Market you must-try
Where is Chiang Mai Bazaar Night Market? When should I go?
To be clear, there are many night markets in Chiang Mai, and every market has its own interesting features. For example, Saturday Night Market Walking Street on Wualai Street, Sunday Walking Street (only opens on Sundays in Old City area), etc.
Address: Chang Moi Sub-district, Mueang Chiang Mai District, Chiang Mai 50100, Thailand
Chiang Mai Night Bazaar Market is located at the intersection between Khlan Road and Loi Khro Road. Its difference is that it opens daily. The market is located 1 – 1.5 km from the guesthouse I stayed, so it’s only need na little walk to reach. The market opens from 5:30PM to 6PM to midnight. If you want to visit at crowded, bustling, most funniest time, you should go around 8PM is the the best time.
Some experiences to go to Chiang Mai Night Bazaar night market.
This is a huge night market, you can go from the beginning to the end but without being able to see all the stalls. The market has 2 main categories: food and souvenirs.
Food: There are traditional Thai dishes, which are street food, snacks, juice… Some recommended foods are Khao Soi, Son Tam, Tom Yum, Mango sticky rice, cakes… Prices are also soft, from 40 baht, 50 baht, all are available.
A stall selling the legendary Khao Soi. Khao Soi is a signature dish of Chiang Mai that is said to be must-try dish when coming to Chiang Mai. This dish originates from Northern Thailand and is the specialty of this area. Khao Soi is a crispy fried noodle dish with the highlight of curry sauce with coconut milk.
The food court is arranged separately, while the two sides along the road are only stalls of crafts, souvenirs, clothes. Other items include: towels, wooden carved elephants, artworks, wooden items, silver jewelry, earrings, accessories, sunglasses, DVD, shoes, electronics, luggage, furniture, home appliances … In short, you can find everything at the Chiang Mai Night Bazaar market.
It must be said that when coming to any land, if you want to find out what the economy of the people is based on, you must go to the market. This is the marketplace for the harvested / produced products of the local people. Coming to Chiang Mai Bazaar night market, I am overwhelmed with crafts, silver, carved wooden … all kinds of sophisticated things. It is known that Chiang Mai was previously known as the capital of the handicraft sector (silver crafting, making paper umbrellas …).
Tip for shopping: Yes, you definitely have to bargaining. Especially electronics or alibaba pants. We asked a selfie stick when it was originally said to be 750 baht. Drop by another stall the price downs to 500 baht. Finally we bought it for 300 baht. But in my trip Don Sao Island (Laos), it’s only 250 baht.
How to go to Chiang Mai Night Bazaar market?
It’s easy to get to Chiang Mai Bazaar night market, just turn on Google Maps and follow (on foot) or take a Tuk Tuk, Songthaew. Here are some pictures I took after an evening of exploring at Chiang Mai Bazaar night market.
An evening walk around Chiang Mai Bazaar night market.
Some best day tours, trips, activities and transfer services, tickets in and from Chiang Mai you can refer to
- Private Chiang Mai International Airport Transfers (CNX) for Chiang Mai and More
- Private City Transfers for Chiang Mai
- Chiang Mai City & Temples Half Day Tour by Tour East
- Doi Suthep-Chiang Mai City Temple Tour
- Chiang Mai Custom Tour: Chiang Mai Night Safari, Doi Suthep, Elephant Sanctuary, Zipline Adventure, and More
- Private Car Charter Between Chiang Mai and Pai
- Doi Inthanon National Park Day Tour in Chiang Mai
- [SALE] 4G Sim Card (Thailand Pick Up) for Thailand
- 4G SIM Card (BKK Airport Pick Up) for Thailand (Unlimited Data)
- 4G Pocket WiFi (Bangkok and Phuket Airports Pick Up) for Thailand
- 4G Portable WiFi for Thailand from Uroaming (Unlimited Data)
Are you looking for more Chiang Mai travel guide and top things to do in Chiang Mai? Let’s read: Chiang Mai travel blog — The fullest Chiang Mai travel guide for a great trip to the “Rose of the North” of Thailand.