As one of the rare street food stalls that receive the prestigious Michelin star, Raan Jay Fai (Jay Fai Bangkok, Raan Jay Fai Bangkok, Jay Fai Bangkok Michelin) has dozens of interesting stories about food, price, and the people. Now, let’s discover Raan Jay Fai Bangkok — The level of Thai street food wins Michelin star in Bangkok (Jay Fai Bangkok Michelin), only serve up to 50 guests every day with Living Nomads below.
- Kid Mai Death Cafe — Experience the feeling of death at this Bangkok coffee shop
- Top 10 places to eat in Bangkok — 10 best dining experiences in Bangkok
- How to get around Bangkok? — 5 best way to get around Bangkok & cheapest way to get around Bangkok
- Thailand itinerary 5 days — How to spend 5 days in Thailand & what to do in aiwan for 5 days perfectly?
- What to do in Siam Bangkok? — Top 4 things to do in Siam you should try
There are many food paradises in the world, but for street food, there are rare countries can win Thailand. In fact, with a series of famous street food such as Pad Thai, Tom Yum, mango Steamed sticky rice … many processors, or famous food-bloggers to celebrate the world also give many praises when talking about the cuisine of the temples country.
The story of the popular food stall like the restaurant and the Michelin star in Thailand.
Street food in Thailand is reasonably priced, with an amount of 50 to 100 baht (about 2 – 4 dollars) in your wallet to earn a good some foods to enjoy. Of course, there are exceptions, if the street food stall which you go to is exactly the restaurant has just received the Michelin star such as Raan Jay Fai.
In addition, if you don’t know, at the end of 2017, Bangkok’s street food stall with kinds of seafood, Raan Jay Fai, has won dozens of stalls and restaurants to host the “Oscars” for itself. And above all, this victory has been favored by many Thai food lovers.
The normal food stall with the luxury price
If there is a definition of a Thai street food stall, you just look at Raan Jay Fai, a cooking area outside the door, inside the house are some sets of old tables and chairs. In the stall, there are some bulbs, some fans to help the guests more comfortable, looking carefully many wall tiles have stained.
But if you don’t look at the space to guess how the price, when opening the menu (Raan Jay Fai menu) of the stall, you also will be startled. Most of the dishes are over 500 baht (16 dollars), usually 800 to 1000 baht (about 25 to 32 dollars for a plate of food.) And the price is not all that much to spend on dishes. When eating here, you should have quite enough patience to wait for a minimum of 2 hours (usually will be 3, 4 hours or even more than 5 hours) to come and enjoy the food.
Waiting is never fun, especially waiting for a long time. But what is the cause, the main reason for this wait is the food here is delicious and there is only one processor. That’s Ms. Junsuta, 73 years old. You do not hear the wrong thing, and more especially, she is also the owner.
Some of the main dishes here are Tom Yum soup with prices ranging from 19 to 32 dollars, golden curries from 26 to 32 dollars and of course crab eggs – All of the guests want to try.
Start with legendary crab – egg dishes. To make this dish, Junsuta would mix the crabs with eggs and fry them in a deep, oiled pan. In the process of frying, she just looks at the fire, just “shaping”, just adding eggs to the layer of eggs around the crabs, and form a beautiful egg roll. This egg when finished will be decorated with … coriander and a small chili sauce.
When eating, you just cut the egg into small pieces and then enjoy the hot pieces of eggs with the sweet taste of crab, it is very tight. Especially the amount of crab meat in the extremely generous egg, a blogger said that the amount of crab in the diet as much as the meat was removed from several crabs.
The quality of other dishes is not bad, shrimps are close to 3 fingers of an adult when eating, you can feel the clearness, sweetness, clearly. If you have enough patience, you will certainly not be disappointed here.
Hope to return the Michelin star because of the trouble
There are so many guests, but here is one truth that many people feel surprised, Juniata who wants to send back the famous Michelin star. The reason is that since the day of receiving the Michelin star and the world news media was reported loudly, the number of customers as well as the media, food bloggers to her restaurant to enjoy and report more and more.
This number of people queue in the neighboring house, causing the neighbors complain her. In addition, she also has to work harder. Currently, at the age 73, she has to stand the kitchen from 2 pm to about 1 am to serve guests. Even one of her daughters has stopped to assist her in preparing and serving guests.
Currently, although the stall opens from 3 pm officially, visitors have come to wait from about 1 pm. When arriving, guests will be put on the waiting list and there are tables and chairs waiting outside. However, because of limited capacity, the restaurant now receives only 50 visitors every day. And the desire of the current shop is just how to be able to serve the guests well.
This stall is expensive, time-consuming and so special, so if you have the opportunity to come to Bangkok, do you want to come and experience here?
Raan Jay Fai
Jay Fai Bangkok address: 327 Mahachai Road, Samranras Subdistrict, Phra Nakon District., Bangkok, Thailand 10200 (Google Map)
Phone: +66 2 223 9384
Raan Jay Fai reservation: Via phone +66 92 724 9633 or email [email protected]
Opening hours: 3:00pm – 2:00am (Mon – Sat), Closed Sun
Raan Jay Fai price: $$ – $$$. Most of the dishes are over 500 baht (16 dollars), usually 800 to 1000 baht (about 25 to 32 dollars for a plate of food.)
Some best day tours, trips, activities and transfer services, tickets in, to and from Bangkok you can refer to
- Bangkok City & Temples Tour by Tour East
- Classic Bangkok Tour: Floating Market, Elephant Village, Asiatique, & More by AK Travel
- Bangkok Old City Half Day Tour
- Bangkok Landmarks Day Tour: Grand Palace, Wat Pho, Chao Phraya River & More
- Bangkok Sky Train (BTS) One Day Pass
- Bangkok Suvarnabhumi Airport Rail Link (ARL) Ticket
- [Sale] Private Suvarnabhumi Airport Transfers (BKK) for Bangkok, Pattaya & More by Oriental Holiday
- Shared City Transfers between Bangkok and Pattaya by Oriental Holiday
- Private City Transfers between Bangkok and Pattaya, Ayutthaya, Hua Hin & More
- Shared City Transfers between Bangkok and Pattaya by Oriental Holiday
- Private City Transfers from Pattaya to Bangkok, Hua Hin, Koh Samet & Koh Chang
- [SALE] BTS Skytrain Rabbit Card
- Chao Phraya Tourist Boat Bangkok Hop-On-Hop-Off Sightseeing Boat
- [SALE] Chao Phraya Princess Cruise
- [SALE] 4G Sim Card (Thailand Pick Up) for Thailand
- 4G SIM Card (BKK Airport Pick Up) for Thailand (Unlimited Data)
- 4G Pocket WiFi (Bangkok and Phuket Airports Pick Up) for Thailand
- 4G Portable WiFi for Thailand from Uroaming (Unlimited Data)
Are you looking for more Bangkok travel guide and top things to do in Bangkok: Tours, activities, attractions and other things? Read more: Bangkok travel blog — The fullest Bangkok travel guide blog for a budget trip to Bangkok (BKK).