Suvarnabhumi Airport (also known as Bangkok airport) is new international airport inaugurated in Thailand in 2006. The distance from Suvarnabhumi airport to Bangkok city is about 36 km. It will take about 45 minutes to get from Suvarnabhumi to Bangkok by bus or taxi if traffic is unblocked. In this article we will find out some ways to get from Suvarnabhumi to Bangkok (Suvarnabhumi Airport to Bangkok) — How to get from Bangkok airport to city? and let’s discover the best way to get from Bangkok airport to city.
- How to get around Bangkok by BTS Bangkok, MRT Bangkok & Bangkok Airport Rail Link?
- Guide to LRT Kuala Lumpur — LRT Kuala Lumpur route, timetable & fare
- Tourist SIM card Thailand — How to buy the best Thailand prepaid SIM card for tourist
- Singapore MRT guide — The migration guide to Singapore Mass Rapid Transport: route, fare, station… (latest 2017)
- Top 10 best places to visit in Pattaya
Suvarnabhumi to Bangkok: Types of vehicles and service charges
After going through customs, you have to move from the second floor to the first floor of the airport. The first floor is often used for public transport. In addition, there are also many other types of transport services that you can choose to arrive the center of Bangkok:
• Airport Rail Link (tramcar)
• Transport limousine
• Buses in the airport
• City buses
• Minibuses (public buses)
• Bor Khor Sor Intercity Bus (for destinations outside Bangkok)
• Cars for rent
• Other types of taxis.
From Suvarnabhumi Airport, you can also go to other places by Intercity Buses such as Pattaya, Jomtien, Udonthani, Nongkhai, Chonburi, Chonburi, Trad or Bankla. You can read the article below in order to understand more about this type of transportation.
Express train (Suvarnabhumi Airport Link Bangkok or Airport link express line)
- Operating hours: 24 hours
- Cost (fare): City Line route at a price of 15 baht, Airport Express route at price of 100 baht per trip.
- Travel time: 27 minutes in the normal traffic condition for City Line route and 15 minutes for Airport Express route
Since August 23rd, 2010, Airport Link has put into operation with two routes from Suvarnabhumi Airport to Bangkok and vice versa. You can also transfer from here to BTS Skytrain and MRTA subway.
Route 1: Suvarnabhumi City Line airport
The route stops at seven stations including Lat Krabang – Ban Thap Chang – Hua Mak – Ramkhamhaeng – Makkasan (in City Air area, you can transfer to Metro) – Ratchaprarop – Phaya Thai during a journey
Route 2. Suvarnabhumi Express airport.
This route will take you to Makkasan Station. Then, you can transfer to MRTA underground.
Suvarnabhumi Airport Taxi
- Located at the exit for passengers on the first floor at gate 4 and 7.
- Operating hours: 24 hours.
- Cost (fare): ranging from 350 baht to 400 baht (including surcharge).
- Moving time: 45 minutes in normal traffic condition
From the second floor, you need to take the elevator to the first floor and look for gate 4 to line queue up to wait for taxi. Staffs ask you to write the name of the destination and to provide information about the destination for a chauffeur. Almost tourists choose taxis because of its simplicity and convenience. Especially, with a large group of people, it is possible to save a lot of money.
Tips and advice
- Remember to check the meter when getting in a taxi. If he says that it’s broken, you should get another taxi.
- Make sure you have 100 baht on your side because taxi drivers do not often change money for you.
- Do not think drivers precisely know the way to your hotel, so you should make sure that you always have the address and phone number of the hotel in both English and Thai. The phone numbers are also very important for the driver to help you call the hotel in order to look for the location.
Bangkok Airport limousine
- Location at the airport: Airport Limousine Service Counters on the second floor.
- Operating hours: 24 hours a day.
- Cost (fare): 950 baht.
- Moving time: 45 minutes in normal traffic conditions.
If you want to experience a unique way to move into the city, we advise you to choose an airport limousine. The area for this vehicle is located in the lobby with eight luxury limousines ready to serve you. Although the cost is more expensive, it is suitable for groups of visitors in need of a means of transporting many passengers. It means that you pay 235 baht for per seat in a limousine with 6 seats instead of 1,400 baht for a seat in a bus.
However, the above rates can be changed under means of transport and the distance. For those routes lasting over 40 minutes to Silom center, Rajathewi, Sukhumvit or Phayathai, the cost ranges from 950 baht for an Isuzu MU-7 to 1,200 baht for a Toyota Commuter. Besides, Mercedes or BMW 7 Series is also at price of around 2,200 baht.
- You should try to find other travelers who also need to use taxis to share costs.
Airport Express Bus
- Location at the airport: Airport Express Counter at Terminal 1, Gate 8.
- Operating hours: 05:00 a.m – 24:00 p.m
- Cost (fare): 150 baht.
- Time: 45 minutes in normal traffic conditions.
Apart from good quality, express buses or shuttle buses are usually very cheap. However, you have to walk book taxi to move from the station to hotels. There are four different bus routes departing from the airport. They go through almost famous tourist destinations, shopping centers, and some hotels.
Suvarnabhumi airport to Bangkok bus: Express transport services from Suvarnabhumi Airport to Bangkok:
Route AE 1: the airport – Silom Road. Stop: Petchaburi Soi 30 – Central World Plaza – BTS Rajadamri Station – Lumpini Park Monthien – Tawana Ramada Hotel – Plaza Hotel – Silom Rd. – Lertsin Hospital – Central Silom hotel- Nari – Sofitel hotel- BTS station (Saladaeng).
Route AE 2: Airport – Khawsarn Road. Stop: Petchaburi Soi 30 – Platinum Fashion Mall – Urupong – Larnluang – Rajanadda – Democratic Monument – Ratanakosin Hotel – National Theater – Pra Arthit street – Khawsarn Road.
Route AE 3: Airport – Sukhumvit – Ekkamai. Stop: Sukhumvit Soi 52 – Prakakhaknong K – Market- Ekkamai – Sukhumvit Soi 38 Bus Station – 34, 24, 20, 18, 10 (the Bangkok Bank).
Route AE 4: Airport – Hua Lampong Station. Stop: Victory monument – Soi Rangnam – 99 Hotel – BTS (Phayathai Station) – Farm – BTS (Rajathewee) – Siam Discovery – Maboonkhrong – Chulalongkorn University / Rama 4 Rd. – Mandarin Hotel – Bangkok hotel – Hua Lampong Station.
BMTA Public Bus (city bus)
- Location at the airport: Public Transport Center.
- Operating hours: Depending on the number of buses in operation
- Cost: ranging from 24 to 35 baht.
- Moving time: at least 60 minutes in normal traffic conditions
Although this is the most cost-effective solution, it takes a lot of time to move. Rates for this type of public transportation range from 24 to 35 baht depending on the distance. Each bus stops from six to eight stops, so a total travel time can occupy about 1 hour. However, there are some bus routes do not operate all day.
Bus routes from Suvarnabhumi Airport to Bangkok:
No. 549: Suvarnabhumi Airport – Minburi: (24 hours). Routes and stops: Lardkrabang Police Station – Romklaw Rd. – Kasenbundit crossroads – Sereethai Rd.-Bangkapi.
No. 550: Suvarnabhumi – Happyland (24 hours). Routes and stops: Nutch Rd. – Khet Prawes – Nutch Intersection – Bangapi crossroads – Happyland.
No. 551: Suvarnabhumi Airport – Victory Monument (24 hours). Routes and stops: Expressway – Ksembundit Uni. – Klongton Pol.Station – Department of Traffic Engineering – Department of Urban and Rural Planning – MCOT – Dindaeng – Victory Monument.
No. 552: Suvarnabhumi Airport – Klongtoey (from 5:00 a.m to 23:00 p.m). Routes and stops: Bangna Trad. street -Chularat Hospt. – Ramkamhaeng 2 – Trung Bnagna – Udomsuk – BTS Station (On-nutch) – Ekkamai – Asoke – QSNCC – Lotus – Klongtoey.
No. 552A: Suvarnabhumi Airport – Samuthprakarn: (24 hours). Routes and stops: Bangna Trad. street -Chulat 1 Hospt. – Ramkamhaeng 2 – Bnagna Center – Samrong – Samuthprakarn – Praeksa Garage.
No. 553: Suvarnabhumi Airport – Samuthprakarn: (from 5:00 a.m to 22:45 pm). Routes and stops: Kingkaew Rd. – What Salud (Bangna-Trad) – Ramkhamhaeng 2 – Srinakarin Rd. – Theparak Crossroads – Crocodile Farm – Samutprakarn (Pak Nam).
No. 554: Suvarnabhumi Airport – Rangsit: (24 hours). Routes and stops: Ram Inthra. street – Laksi – Vibhavadee Rangsit Rd. – Donmuang – Rnasit.
No. 555: Suvarnabhumi Airport – Rangsit: (Rama 9 Motorway) (from 06:00 to 02:00). Routes and stops: Dindaeng – Suthisarn – Vibhavadee Rangsit – Kaset Uni – Laksi – Donmuang-Rangsit.
No. 556: Suvarnabhumi Airport – South Train Station (from 6:00 a.m to 21:45 pm). Routes and stops: Yomrat – Democracy Monument – Sanam Luang – Pata Department Store – New South Bus Stop.
No. 558: Suvarnabhumi Airport – Rama 2 Center: (expressway) (from 5:00 to 23:00 p.m). Routes and stops: Bangna Trad. Street – Daokanong – What Son – Suksawas Rd. – 2 Ram. Street – Central Plaza Rama 2 – Samaedam.
No. 559: Suvarnabhumi Airport – Rangsit (expressway) (from 5: 00 p.m -23: 00 p.m). Routes and stops: Sereethai Rd. – Siam Park – Noparat Hospital – Fashion Island – Ring Road expressway – Lamlukka – Dreamworld – Klong 4, 3, 2, 1 – Suchat Market.
Minibuses (public buses)
- Location at the airport: Public Transportation Centre and Arrival & Departure area, at Gate 5.
- Operating hours: to be up to routes.
- Cost (fare): ranging from 25 to 70 Baht depending on distance
- Travel time: from 45 to 60 minutes in normal traffic conditions
Small buses usually stop at fewer stations than public buses, so it can shorten your moving time. As a result, this mode of transport is generally more convenient than public buses and express buses. Especially, there are 9 routes at a reasonable price ranging from 25 to 70 baht. However, it is important to note that there are some routes do not operate 24 hours per day.
Tips and advice
You can take a minibus in the Departure area at gate 5, on the 4th floor in the airport. Then, the minibus will depart for the center of public transport. In cases the bus has enough passengers, the bus driver will move directly to Bangkok instead of the stopover in the lobby on the first floor.
Routes from Suvarnabhumi Airport to Bangkok:
No. 549: Suvarnabhumi Airport – Minburi: (24 hours). Routes and stops: Lardkrabang Pol. Ga – Romklaw Rd. – Kasembundit Uni – Minburi.
No. 550: Suvarnabhumi Airport – Happy Land (from 05:00 a.m to 24:00 p.m). Routes and stops: Nutch street – Khet Prawes – Nutch Interchange – Bangkapi – Happyland
No. 551: Suvarnabhumi Airport – Victory Monument (from 5:00 am to 10:00 pm). Routes and stops: Expressway – Victory Monument
No. 552: Suvarnabhumi Airport – Klongtoey (from 5:00 a.m to 22:00 a.m). Routes and stops: Bangna Trad. street – Chularat Hospt.1 – Ramkhamhaeng 2 – Bangna Center – Udomsuk – BTS Station (On Nutch street)
No. 552A: Suvarnabhumi Airport – Samuthprakarn (from 05:00 a.m to 22:00 p.m). Routes and stops: Bangna Trad. street – Chularat hospt.1 – Ramkhamhaeng 2 – Bangna Centre – Samrong – Samuthprakarn – Praeksa Garage
No. 554 Suvarnabhumi Airport – Rangsit: (4 a.m to 10 p.m). Routes and stops: Ramintra street – Kaksi – Sapanmai – the entrance of Lamlukka – Krungthep Gate (Sapanmai)
No. 555: Suvarnabhumi Airport – Rangsit: (from 3:30 a.m to 22:00 pm). Routes and stops: Rama 9 Motorway – Dindaeng – expressway – Jaelenk New Market – Donmuang – Future Ransit
No. 556: Suvarnabhumi Airport – South Railway Station (06:00 a.m to 21:00 p.m). Routes and stops: Freeways – Freeways – Yomrat Crossroads – Sanamluang Democracy Monument – Khawsarn Rd. – Pata Pinklaw – New South Bus Stop
No. 559: Suvarnabhumi Airport – Rangsit: (6:00 a.m to 22:00 p.m)
BorKhorSor (Bor Khor Sor) intercity buses
- Location at the airport: Public Transport Center
- Operating hours: Depending on the route
- Cost (fare): Depending on the distance
- Moving time: Depending on destination
If you want to get from Suvarnabhumi Airport to the last stop (like Pattaya), the InterCity bus of Bor Khor Sor will be the suitable choice for you. Bus tickets with 12 schedules available are available at the BorKhorSor service counter in the public transportation center.
Tips and advice
- In Thailand, intercity buses usually turn on air conditioners at low temperatures, so it is necessary for you to bring a coat or sweater.
- In many cases, these buses can turn on the TV or music at a rather high volume. As a result, you should bring earplugs in order to have a good sleep during your trip.
Routes of Intercity Buses from Suvarnabhumi Airport:
No. 55: Ekkamai Bus Station – Nutch Road Junction – Suvarnabhumi Airport – Klongsuan – Klong Prawes – Chachoengsao – Amphur Bang Klah.
No. 389: Suvarnabhumi Airport – Leamchabang – Pattaya.
No. 390: Suvarnabhumi Airport – Chachoengsao – the Rongklua Market.
No. 825: Suvarnabhumi Airport – Nakhonratchasima – Khonkhaen – Udonthani – Nongkhai.
No. 9904: Jatujak Bus Stop (Expressway) – Suvarnabhumi Airport – Expressway – Chonburi.
No. 9905: Jatujak Bus Stop (Motorway) – Suvarnabhumi Airport – Pattaya (Jomtien).
1. Jatujak bus stop (Expressway) – Suvarnabhumi Airport _U-Tapau – Banchang – Maptaphut – Rayong.
2. Jatujak bus stop (Expressway) – Suvarnabhumi Airport – Maptaphut – Rayong. 3. Jatujak Bus Stop (Expressway) – Suvarnabhumi Airport – Rayong.
No. 9907: Jatujak Bus Stop (Expressway) – Suvarnabhumi Airport – Amphur Klaeng – Chonburi.
No. 9908: Jatujak Bus Stop (Motorway) – Suvarnabhumi Airport – the Kulpat Travel Center – Amphur Klung – Trad.
No. 9909: Jatujak Bus Stop – Suvarnabhumi Airport – Sriracha – Leamchabang.
No. 9910: Jatujak Bus Stop – Suvarnabhumi Airport – Chachoensau – Banklah.
No. 9916: Ekkamai Bus Stop – Sukhumvit (expressway) – Suvarnabhumi Airport – Sakaew.
There are many offers for using taxi services. However, you should consider the offers because they can be the service not licensed. It is reliable that these services are illegal and more expensive than official taxies. Therefore, you should not hesitate to deny these services in order to avoid troubles in your trip!
Public transport and shuttle buses
Public transportation is located in the airport. This is a station with many different types of vehicles including both trams and buses.
In addition, you can also travel by “express train” which is often considered as the free vehicle in the airport. You can board at the terminal at Gate 5 on the 2nd floor or 4th floor.
Are you finding more top things to do in Bangkok: Tours, activities, attractions and other things? Let’s check it out at here.