Originated from a peddling trolley from 1956, Singapore Chilli Crab became the famous dish of the Nation of Lion Island (Singapore) that many visitors want to enjoy.
- Must eat food in Singapore — Top 14 must try & most Singapore famous food to eat in Singapore
- Cheap places to eat in Singapore — Top 9 best affordable restaurants in Singapore you should not miss
- Best cheap eats Singapore — Top 7 cheap but delicious foods & best places to eat them
- Best buffet in Singapore — 5 best buffet restaurants in Singapore
- Top places to eat in Singapore — 5 must eat restaurants in Singapore
In 1956, Cher Yam Tian and her husband Lim Choo Ngee began selling crab dish which was cooked with tomato sauce, then created the flavor for the dish by adding chili sauce. They sell in a trolley beside the Kallang River. The sale is very good and chili sauce became popular so they could open a Palm Beach restaurant.
The first version of chili crab is fresh crab cooked with tomato sauce, chili sauce and enjoy with French bread. The name is chili sauce, but this dish is not too spicy. CNN listed it as the 35th best food in the world in 2011.
A famous chef who opened the Dragon Phoenix restaurant added a new way to the original chili crab. He uses sambal chili sauce, tomato sauce and eggs instead of chili sauce and bottled tomatoes. This recipe becomes more popular, apply for most chili crab today that you enjoy in Singapore.
Chilli crab in this dish is described as “full of excitement” and “sweet, salty” with the outside of harsh cotton. Mud crab is the most common crab to make this dish, but other types of crabs can be processed in the same way.
The traditional way to enjoy this dish is to use your hands to eat, feel the taste of crab meat with sweet pepper sauce. Guests will feel the charm of the dish in front of their face, when peeled, eat the meat which is mixed in sauce and not resist the sucking of fingers.
Eating with crab sauce is fried or steamed tart which has name mantou, dip with chili sauce, tomatoes and eggs beaten. The restaurant always provides wet paper or a bowl of water and lemon for guests to wash their hands after eating.
Where to eat crab in Singapore?
Chilli sauce has been selected by the Tourism Authority of Singapore as one of the national dishes that tourists can find at any seafood restaurant in the Lion Island. However, the best chili crab destinations you should try are Long Beach Seafood Restaurant, No Sign Boad, Jumbo, Red House, or Mellben.
Some best day tours, trips, activities and transfer services, tickets in Singapore and from Singapore you can refer to
- Singapore Changi Airport (SIN) Private Transfer
- Private City Transfers between Singapore and Johor Bahru
- Shared Changi Airport Transfers (SIN) for Singapore Hotels
- Singapore All Day Pass
- The Singapore Pass
- [Klook Exclusive] 3 Hours Singapore City Tour
- Singapore Cityscapes Tour
- [Klook Exclusive] Sentosa Island Introductory Tour in Singapore
- Singapore Big Bus Hop-On Hop-Off Tour (Open-Top)
- Sentosa FUN Pass
- Singapore City Pass (2/3 Days)
- [Klook Exclusive] Universal Studios Singapore™ 1 Day Ticket
- 4G Prepaid Sim Card (Changi Airport Pick Up) for Singapore
Are you finding more top things to do in Singapore: Tours, activities, attractions and other things? Read more: Singapore travel blog — The fullest Singapore travel guide blog for a budget trip to Singapore for the first-timers.