The Chiang Mai City, Thailand is not only famous for its tourism sites, these markets are interesting to many visitors. If you have the opportunity to come here, do not forget to explore top 4 special Chiang Mai markets including its night markets below!
- Top Chiang Mai markets — 8 best markets in Chiang Mai & best night markets in Chiang Mai
- Top night market in Bangkok — Top 5 Bangkok best night markets you must-visit
- Chiang Mai blog — The super Chiang Mai travel guide for first-timers
- Saturday Night Market Chiang Mai review — Experience one of most vibrant & best night markets in Chiang Mai
- Best places to eat Chiang Mai blog — Top 5 best restaurants in Chiang Mai and Chiang Mai Old City
If someone asks me what do you like most in Thailand? I will immediately answer that I have the luck to go the markets. Thai people like to go shopping and every tourist arriving here can not miss by that markets. In Thailand’s markets, I especially like to go shopping in Chiang Mai. The Chiang Mai market is very special, it is not only a place to shop, but it is also suitable for joining entertainment activities and for meeting new friends.
A big part of the reason we love shopping in Chiang Mai so much is its range of excellent markets, which are found dotted all over the city. Alongside the same old tourist souvenirs, you’ll find anywhere else in the country, many of Chiang Mai’s markets offer a much more interesting shopping experience, with stalls selling locally made handicrafts, one-off clothing items, and plenty of northern delicacies that are hard to find anywhere else.
1. Sunday Walking Street
This is the largest and most important market in Chiang Mai, it is usually held every Sunday in the center of Chiang Mai’s ancient town. The market often starts at 4 pm, and the stalls will be opened in the middle of the ancient old town center road.
You will easily find all the items you want to find here: Clothes, shoes, handbags, watch, accessories, handicrafts, household appliances … In addition, there are groups of street painters and dogs in a funny face for relaxing. Besides, this market also sells a variety of dishes, typical of Thai cuisine.
Chiang Mai Sunday Night Walking Street
Address: Rachadamnoen Rd, Tambon Si Phum, Amphoe Mueang Chiang Mai, Chang Wat Chiang Mai 50200, Thailand
Opening hours: Sundays 4 pm – 10 pm
2. Wualai – Saturday Night Market Walking Street
This is called a “baby” version of the Sunday market. Everything occurs right on the narrow Wua Lai road, outside the ancient town. This market is quite small, so when visitors visit the market will probably have to hustle a bit. Like other Chiang Mai markets, the Saturday market also sells a lot of impressive items, especially the richness of dry foods and street foods.
Wualai – Chiang Mai Saturday Night Market
Address: Wua Lai Rd, Tambon Hai Ya, Amphoe Mueang Chiang Mai, Chang Wat Chiang Mai 50100, Thailand
Opening hours: Saturdays 6 pm – 10 pm
3. Chiang Mai Night Bazaar
Just listen to the sentence, “Come to Chiang Mai without going to Night Bazaar is not a traveling to Chiang Mai”, it is enough to know how attractive Night Bazaar night market is.
This market mostly sells handicrafts, handmade items from Chiang Mai and Northern Thailand. The goods here are plentiful, cheap price but most important thing is the sellers are very kindful. The market is located along the Chang Klan Road, where having countless food eateries, cafes, bars, and massage shops are available. Especially, if you travel to Chiang Mai on weekdays, and you can not stay to go to the weekend bazaars, Night Bazaar is a better choice.
Chiang Mai Night Bazaar
Address: 41 Amphoe Mueang Chiang Mai, Chang Wat Chiang Mai 50100, Thailand
Opening hours: Daily from 6 pm to 11 pm
4. Sompet Market
When I arrived in Chiang Mai in the first time, I was attracted to this place with crowded backpackers on the Ratvithi Road and Moon Mueang Soi 6 to 9, because there is the cheap hotel often. In this area, the most prominent are Sompet Market. The market intersects with Moon Mueang and Mueang Soi 7, specializing in selling foods, fruits, and dried goods. While living in this area, Sompet Market is always my option for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
This market is also a place where teachers teach Thai cooking classes, they often take their students to visit. You can catch these groups of students every morning when you go to the market; it looks very bustling and interesting. Here, you can also find delicious banana and Thai sausage.
Address: Moon Mueang Soi 6, Chiang Mai, Thailand 50200
Opening hours: Full day
5. Warorot Market
Located at Tha Phae and Chang Moi Road, the market is open from 7 am to 5 pm. This is a market with arches, many specialty shops, suitable for you to buy cotton, spices, tea, or dried fruits. Opposite the roads, there is a place to sell flowers, fruit. In the evening, this is the place to sell the food is very good, attracted a lot of visitors visit.
Address: 90 Wichayanon Rd, Tambon Chang Moi, Amphoe Mueang Chiang Mai, Chang Wat Chiang Mai 50300, Thailand
Opening hours: Full day
Some best day tours, trips, activities and transfer services, tickets in and from Chiang Mai you can refer to
- Private Chiang Mai International Airport Transfers (CNX) for Chiang Mai and More
- Private Chiang Mai International Airport Transfers (CNX) for Chiang Mai by Thai Rhythm
- Private City Transfers between Chiang Rai and Chiang Mai
- Private City Transfers for Chiang Mai
- Private City Transfers between Chiang Mai and Pai by Thai Rhythm
- Private Chiang Mai International Airport Transfers (CNX) for Chiang Rai
- Private City Transfers between Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai
- Chiang Mai City & Temples Half Day Tour by Tour East
- Chiang Rai One Day Tour from Chiang Mai
- Doi Suthep-Chiang Mai City Temple Tour
- Classic Chiang Mai Doi Suthep Half Day Tour
- Chiang Mai Custom Tour: Chiang Mai Night Safari, Doi Suthep, Elephant Sanctuary, Zipline Adventure, and More
- Private Car Charter Between Chiang Mai and Pai
- Doi Inthanon National Park Day Tour in Chiang Mai
- [SALE] 4G Sim Card (Thailand Pick Up) for Thailand
- 4G SIM Card (BKK Airport Pick Up) for Thailand (Unlimited Data)
- 4G Pocket WiFi (Bangkok and Phuket Airports Pick Up) for Thailand
- 4G Portable WiFi for Thailand from Uroaming (Unlimited Data)
Are you looking for more Chiang Mai travel guide and top things to do in Chiang Mai? Let’s read: Chiang Mai travel blog — The fullest Chiang Mai travel guide for a great trip to the “Rose of the North” of Thailand.