Affordable dorms are ideal options for those who travel on a budget. Dorms refer to shared rooms with individual beds and private lockers for guests. In this post, we will give you some suggestions on the accommodations that have received positive reviews from travelers. Our criteria for choosing them are hospitable staff, hygienic facility, and reasonable rates. So, where to stay in Taipei on a budget? Let’s check out our suggested 5 best cheap hostels in Taipei which including best hostels in Taipei for solo travellers, cheap places to stay in Taipei, best hostels in Taipei, cheap accommodation in Taipei as follows!
- Backpackers hostel Taipei — Top 5 affordable dorm hostels Taipei that own convenient locations
- Where to shop in Taipei blog — 5 Cheap places to shop in Taipei & best shopping area in Taipei
- Taipei travel blog — The fullest Taipei city guide for first-timers
- Jiufen travel blog — Jiufen day trip from Taipei: How to spend 1 perfect day in Jiufen?
- Taipei itinerary 3 days — What to do in Taipei for 3 days?
The advantage of staying in a dorm is not only its inexpensive cost, but it also allows you to make friends more easily on your trip, especially when you travel alone. The downside is that there is no private space except for your bed. They don’t provide you with personal sanitary kits, so you have to prepare these things yourself.
All dorms offer free Wi-fi connection, tea and coffee, maps, and tourist information. To use the washer or dryer, you must bring your own coins. The staff is young, friendly, and able to speak English.
What do you need to travel to Taiwan?
- 4G Sim and iPass Card Combo: You are not only moving a lot during your trip but also have to navigate and communicate with others. 4G Sim and iPass Card will become handy for you to do these things.
- Taipei Fun Pass: Besides exploring teahouses in Jiufen, using the Taipei Fun Pass for free entrance to famous attractions in Taipei is also a good idea.
- HSR Train Ticket: Travel quickly and cost-effectively across Taiwan. Learn about HSR tickets here.
- Taiwan tourist visa: With just one click, you will receive support from the Klook team to get a tourist visa to Taiwan in no time.
- Shuttle at Taoyuan Airport: The cost of traveling by taxi to the hotel is quite expensive, ranging from TWD 1000-1200. Reserving a shuttle here is the most convenient.
Space Inn Hengyang Branch – affordable dorm (#best cheap hostels in taipei)
Space Inn lands in the first place on our list because of its unique design. As the name suggests, Space Inn looks a lot like a spaceship with a modern interior. Space Inn employees are also dressed in astronaut uniforms.
The rooms are divided into men’s and women’s areas. Each room has about 5-6 bunk beds. Each bed is 2.2 meters wide, so sleeping here is quite comfortable. A guest is provided with a night light and a locker with a magnetic lock. Also, when entering and exiting the room, you have to use a magnetic card to unlock the door, so it is generally safe.
In addition to a separate bed, all other amenities are shared with other guests. They include a bathroom (with shower gel and a large mirror to check your appearance), a reading room (with TV, DVD, and magazines), a kitchen (with coffee maker, oven, hot water, tea, and coffee), and a laundry room (if you want to wash your clothes, put some coins in the laundry).
The impression of Space Inn is clean and modern. Even though it is a dormitory room, you still feel totally comfortable. Space Inn is located super close to Ximending Night Market, opposite the famous Ten Ren tea house, and not far from Taipei Main Station.
Address: B1F., No. 51, Hengyang Road, Zhongzheng District, Taipei City, Taiwan 100
January rate: USD 25-50 (depending on room type)
Angels Hostel Taipei (#best hostels in taipei for solo travellers)
Sharing the same building as Space Inn but on the 2nd floor, Angels Hostel is equally comfortable and hospitable. Angels Hostel has a simple but futuristic design, which looks a bit like a cinema to me.
The room is also divided into men’s and women’s areas, and each room has 12 beds (six bunk beds). Angels Hostel’s beds are a little smaller than Space Inn, but still very good. In addition to shared amenities such as a bathroom, dining room, laundry room, and entertainment room, Angels Hostel also has a Play Station. For those who travel alone and stay up late due to jet lag, you can make new friends here to chat and play games together.
Address: 2F.-2, No. 51, Hengyang Road, Zhongzheng District, Taipei City, Taiwan 100
January rate: from USD 20 per night (depending on room type)
Bouti City Capsule Inn – affordable dorm (#best hostels in taipei)
This place is extremely close to Taipei Main Station. Like the two places above, Bouti City Capsule Inn is also very tidy and cozy. The common amenities are openly accessible, so young travelers have more opportunities to make friends and share their stories.
There are types of rooms here: four-bed, six-bed, and twelve-bed shared rooms. In terms of amenities, this place offers free breakfast as well as unlimited coffee and tea in addition to the basic services. You can borrow an iron to press your clothes, so anyone who goes on a business trip may wake up in the morning and get ready for the day with ease.
Address: No. 7, Sec. 1 Chongqing S. Road, Zhongzheng District, Taipei City, Taiwan 100
January rate: from USD 20 per night (depending on room type)
Hey Bear Capsule Hotel (#cheap places to stay in taipei)
Hey Bear Capsule Hostel is truly a capsule hostel, so it will be a super interesting experience to stay here. The downside of Hey Bear Capsule Hotel is its unfavorable location, unlike the other hotels. However, the MRT Taipei Bridge Station is only 100 meters away from here, so traveling is not that difficult.
When staying here, you will have a separate capsule room as if you are living in a spaceship. There is a locker area for your big backpacks. You can choose between a mixed room (both men and women) or a women-only room. The mixed room rate is a bit cheaper. In the common area, there are some arcade machines where you can use coins to play fun games.
Address: 8F, No. 1, Sec. 2, Chongxin Road, Sanchong District, New Taipei City, Taiwan 241
January rate: From USD 25 per night (depending on room type)
Cavemen Hostel Taipei Station Youth Branch – affordable dorm (#best cheap hostels in taipei)
This hostel is ranked first in terms of location. It is only 400 meters from Taipei Main Station. The accommodation is also very close to Ximending Night Market, Red House (a cute sightseeing location), and Taipei City Mall. This area has many great tea houses and coffee shops, just take a walk around and you can easily see one.
You can choose a single bed or double bed in the shared room. There are also two types of rooms: mixed (male-female dormitory) or female-only rooms. Other amenities are similar to the above hostels. In the hostel, there are also a few vending machines for refreshments and snacks. You won’t need to worry about getting something to eat at night when suddenly craving snacks.
Address: 7F, No. 34, Guanqian Road, Zhongzheng District, Taipei City, Taiwan 100
January rate: About USD 40 per night, a little higher than average because of its convenient location to the downtown
Some best day tours, trips, activities and transfer services, tickets in, to and from Taipei you can refer to
- Taoyuan Airport Private Transfers (TPE) for Taipei
- Sedan Taoyuan Airport Transfers (TPE) for Taipei
- [SALE] Taoyuan Airport MRT Ticket & Exclusive Shopping Coupon
- Luxury Taoyuan Airport Transfers (TPE) for Taipei
- Explore Taipei City
- Taipei Free Walking Tour Historic Route
- Taipei Double Decker Bus Tour
- Taipei Popular Sightseeing Private Car Charter : Jiufen, Pingxi, and North Coast (Chinese/English/Korean)
- Northeast Coast Scenic Day Tour
- Jiufen Shuttle Bus from Ximen
- Yehliu, Shifen, and Jiufen Day Tour with Korean and English Speaking Guides
- Taipei: Yehliu Geopark, Jiufen, Shifen, and Golden Waterfall Day Tour
- EasyCard (TPE Airport Pick Up)
- Klook Pass Taipei (For international travelers)
- Taipei 101 Observatory Ticket
- Maokong Gondola Ticket
- Yeliou, Jinguashih, Juifen and Shihfen Join Day Tour
- Taipei Unlimited Fun Pass
- Taipei: Beitou and Yangmingshan One-Day Tour
- [10% Off + 1 Extra Free Day] 4G SIM Card (TW Airport Pick Up) for Taiwan from Chunghwa Telecom
- 4G SIM Card (TPE Airport Pick Up) for Taiwan from Far EasTone Telecom
- 4G WiFi (TW Airport Pick Up) for Taiwan
- 4G Portable WiFi for Taiwan from Uroaming (Unlimited Data)
- 4G Portable WiFi for Taiwan from WiFiBB (Unlimited Data)
- 4G LTE WiFi (TW Airport Pick Up) for Japan
- [Sale – Taiwan Food Promo] Taiwan High Speed Rail (THSR) Discounted Ticket from Taipei
- Taiwan High Speed Rail (THSR) Consecutive Unlimited Pass (2 or 3 Days)
- Taiwan High Speed Rail (THSR) Discounted Ticket from Taoyuan
- THSR Exclusive Discount One Way Ticket from Taoyuan (Two Tickets for the Price of One)
Are you finding more top things to do in Taipei: Tours, activities, attractions and other things? Read more: Taipei travel blog — The fullest Taipei city guide for a wonderful trip to Taipei for the first-timers.