If you want to watch autumn leaves in Tokyo, I recommend visiting Meiji-jingu Gaien Park in the Aoyama area. Meiji-jingu Gaien is one of the most famous spots to see autumn leaves in Tokyo. There are many ginkgo trees (also known as Ginkgo Avenue Tokyo or Icho Namiki Avenue) in Meiji-jingu Gaien. The ginkgo trees turn yellow in the fall and this scene can not be described in words.
- Tokyo autumn leaves forecast 2022 — 13 best autumn spots in Tokyo & best place to see autumn leaves in Tokyo
- Tokyo airport to Tokyo city — How to get from Narita Airport to Tokyo & from Haneda Airport to Tokyo?
- Tokyo travel blog — The fullest Tokyo city guide for a budget trip for the first time visiting Tokyo, Japan
- Best shopping area in Tokyo — Top 12 most famous & best shopping malls in Tokyo
- Traveling from Tokyo to Kyoto — 4 fastest & cheapest ways on how to get to Kyoto from Tokyo
About Meiji-jingu Gaien
The full name of Gaien is Meiji Jingu Gaien Park. It is a part of the Meiji Jingu Shrine which was erected to commemorate Emperor Meiji. Although the park is not located next to Meiji Jingu Shrine but it is under the management of Meiji Jingu. Meiji-Jingu is the traditional shrine of Japan, but Gaien is more like a western park. If you have time, you should go to both places and experience the difference.
The park has many facilities for sports at Gaien Park such as baseball field, driving area, ice rink. Gaien is also a great place for cycling because the bike path are opened on weekends.
There are two huge ginkgo trees row along a street of Gaien. This street is 300m long and there are 146 ginkgo trees here. These ginkgo trees are trimmed in a unique way and they are just at the right for viewing. The ginkgo trees begin to turn yellow in mid-November. The best time to admire the leaves is from late November to early December. When it began turning yellow, the scene is fantastic! Especially, the beautiful scene with the museum behind these ginkgo trees. Some say the leaves look like gold. Gaien is a good place to take pictures. There are plenty of good places to shoot around the park especially in the fall.
Pay attention, because ginkgo trees leaves naturally fall at the same time. So if you see many leaves on the trees does not mean you can see them the next day. It is also very beautiful when most of the leaves of the ginkgo trees shed on the ground. It was look like a giant amber carpet and the street will become yellow.
The Gaien Ginkgo Festival
In the autumn season, the Ginkgo festival is celebrated in the Gaien Park. It is usually held in the second half of November to early December. The park is open from 10am to 6pm daily. Usually it opens 30 minutes earlier than the weekend and holidays. There will be many food stalls at the festival and you can eat fresh foods and vegetables from all over Japan. The festival is usually held annually. So if you have the chance to see the autumn leaves at Gaien, remember to experience a Ginkgo festival.
The Gingko Avenue in Meiji Jingu Gaien Park
Address: 1-1 Kasumigaokamachi, Shinjuku, Tokyo 160-0013, Japan
Opening times: 6AM–11PM
Phone: +81 3-3401-0312
Autums date: from late November to early December
By train: 5 minutes walk from Gaienmae station and Aoyamaitchome station (Tokyo Metro Gizan line) / or 8 minutes walk from Shinanomachi station (JR Sobu line)
By car: The “Gaien exit” on Metropolitan Expressway Route No.4 is the most convenient approach by expressway. The facilities are approx. 15 minutes from the nearest stations.
Are you looking for more best spots to viewing autumn leaves in Tokyo Read more: Where to see autumn leaves in Tokyo? — 13 best autumn spots in Tokyo & best place to see autumn leaves in Tokyo.
Some best day tours, trips, activities and transfer services, tickets in, to and from Tokyo you can refer to
- Private Narita International Airport Transfers (NRT) for Tokyo 23 Wards, Hakone, or Karuizawa
- Private Haneda International Airport Transfers (HND) for Tokyo 23 Wards, Hakone, or Karuizawa
- Airport Limousine Bus Transfers from/to Narita and Haneda International Airport (Free Wifi Onboard)
- Tokyo Amazing Sightseeing Bus Day Tour
- Tokyo Highlights Private Day Tour
- Nikko Day Tour from Tokyo
- Mt Fuji & Hakone Day Tour: Lake Ashi & Ropeway Day Trip from Tokyo
- Nikko Cultural Day Tour from Tokyo
- Tokyo Subway Ticket (24, 48, or 72 Hours)
- Tokyo Skyliner and Tokyo Subway Ticket
- Shuttle Bus Transfers (One Way/Round Trip) from Shinjuku/Ikebukuro to Tokyo Disneyland or Tokyo DisneySea
- Sky Hop-on and Hop-off Bus Pass
- 4G Prepaid Sim Card (JP Airports Pick Up) for Japan
- 4G WiFi (Japan Pick Up) for Japan
- JR Pass for Whole Japan (7, 14, or 21 Days)
Are you finding more top things to do in Tokyo: Tours, activities, attractions and other things? Read more: Tokyo travel blog — The fullest Tokyo city guide for a budget trip for the first time visiting Tokyo, Japan.