Having many times dreamt of indulging yourself in the enticing islands of Indonesia like Bali but you then have to leave it a wish as Bali is too expensive? Living+Nomads gets to tell you that your wish of an awesome travel will come true in a more affordable way. Three deserted islands of Gili will be an incredibly charming destination that will definitely meet your eyes and expectations! Now, check out my Gili islands blog to Exploring Gili Islands – A deserted-island paradise of Indonesia.
- Gili islands travel blog — The fullest Gili islands guide & what to do in Gili islands
- Top beaches in Phuket — Top 8 best beaches in Phuket you should not miss
- Top 10 most beautiful & best islands in Southeast Asia
- Borneo experiences — Top 7 unforgettable experiences on the tropical island of Borneo
- Koh Samui itinerary — How to spend 2 days in Koh Samui?
Gili Islands, just off the northwest coast of Lombok and around 35km to the west of Bali, are renown for its ultimate remote island experience of heaven that is so rare nowadays in Asia and on the planet. Gili Islands embody everything you need for a getaway vacation: pristine and powdery white sand shorelines, cool clear sparkling turquoise water, unbelievably vibrant coral reefs, abundant sea life, and romantically spectacular sunset.
Gili is an archipelago of three small islands: Gili Trawangan, Gili Meno, and Gili Air. They lie quite close to each other, making Gili a vision of paradise. Each island appeals its own special beauty, though.
Gili Air is the closest one to the mainland. And you’ll be deeply mesmerized by the achingly beautiful scenery of Gili Air. The island has plenty of charming palm trees shading stylish bungalows, making a perfect vista where you can catch the most unforgettably sublime sunset and sunrise.
Gili Nemo lies in the middle of the two others and its beauty is wildly spectacular with the amazingly crystal blue water and the horizon stretching to infinity.
Furthest from the mainland is Gili Trawangan and it is by far the most popular to visitors as its bar and party scene is awesome. Every night is party night in Gili Trawangan so it is a right place for party lovers as this is no wonder.
Gili Islands are a wonderful escape place with crystal clear water, desolate white sand beaches, and a special thing is that you will never hear even a little hustle and bustle of motorized vehicles. As automobiles and motorized traffic are prohibited here by local ordinance, the islands’ life is very tranquil and the air is completely clean and fresh. More fascinatingly, the price here is much more reasonable than Bali.
Gili Islands is popular with scuba diving with almost 20 dive sites where you and explore the sheer diversity of sea life of exquisite colorful coral reefs. Or diving, maybe, is not your favorite but you are still keen on enjoying the infinite beauty of coral and marine life, snorkeling is a great choice worth-experiencing. In addition, a lot of other water sports are available for you to cool up and relax like, for one, surfing in the south of Gili Trawangan. And after playing and exploring too much, you can also take some leisure stroll along the coastlines of the islands soaking yourself in the cool breeze and sunshine.
A deserted paradise! No motorbikes! No cars! Just the sounds of bicycles or horse-drawn carriages! Gili Islands are no doubt a perfect getaway destination. Just head to this little tranquil piece of heaven to chill out!
How to get to Gili Islands?
There are two ways you can choose:
- If you arrive in Jakarta, fly from Jakarta to Gili Islands directly. It’s the quickest way to get there.
- If you arrive in Bali, you can take a fast boat such as Gili Car or Blue water Safari from Padang Bai ti Gili Islands. Or you can also fly from Bali to Gili Islands, which many travelers say it’s sometimes cheaper and more time-saving that the boat.
See more on how to get to Gili Islands here.
Below we recommend more best budget, mid-range and upscale hotels with good ratings and reviews you can refer to.
- PinkCoco Gili Air (Agoda.com or Booking.com)
- Pondok Santi Estate (Agoda.com or Booking.com)
- Desa Dunia Beda Beach Resort (Agoda.com or Booking.com)
- Aston Sunset Beach Resort (Agoda.com or Booking.com)
- Pearl of Trawangan (Agoda.com or Booking.com)
- Gili Eco Villas (Agoda.com or Booking.com)
Check out more top and best hotels in Gili Islands via Agoda.com or Booking.com.
Some best day tours, trips, activities and transfer services, tickets in, from and to Gili Islands you can refer to
- Gili Trawangan, Gili Meno, and Gili Air Private Snorkeling Day Tour from Lombok
- Gili Island Snorkeling Experience by Gili Hai
- Gili Islands Private Tour from Lombok
- Lombok Gili Islands Private Day Tour
- Gili Trawangan Private Day Tour in Lombok
- 3G/4G Prepaid SIM Card (DPS Airport Pick Up) for Bali
- 4G Portable WiFi for Bali
- 4G LTE WiFi (MNL Delivery) for Asia
Are you looking for more Bali travel guide and top things to do in Bali: Tours, activities, attractions and other things? Read more: Bali itinerary 8 days — How to spend 8 days in Bali (8 days 7 nights in Bali) pefectly? And more here.