Taipei is one of the cities that are well-known for its friendly and civilized lifestyle. Travelling in Taipei, you will enjoy eating and shopping in the Ximending night market or the famous Taipei 101 tower. Not only so, but from Taipei, you may also want to explore surrounding areas such as Jiufen, Shifen old towns. These two are among the many interesting locations on Taiwan travellers’ checklist. Now, let us suggest you spending a day discovering Jiufen tea houses, a good idea isn’t it? Slowly sips refreshing teacups while observes Jiufen from above – its scenic nature and the old town – relaxing experiences are waiting for you. So, are you looking for best teahouse in Jiufen to chill and exprience the traditional culture of Taiwan? Let’s check out our suggested 5 best Jiufen tea house below to find out the answer!
- Jiufen day trip from Taipei — How to spend 1 perfect day in Jiufen?
- Taichung best eats — 8 must eat food, best restaurants in Taichung & best places to eat in Taichung
- Taipei recommended restaurants — 7 Cheap Taipei must eat restaurants & must try restaurants in Taipei
- Jiufen Shifen itinerary: Jiufen Shifen day trip — How to visit Jiufen and Shifen in one day from Taipei?
- Best coffee in Taipei — Top 6 best coffee shops in Taipei you definitely must visit
What do you need when travelling to Taiwan?
- 4G SIM CARD and iPASS combo: Travelling means not only you have to move constantly, but also researching new locations, tracking directions and staying in touch. That is why every traveller needs 4G SIM and the iPass.
- Taipei Fun Pass: Beside discovering tea houses in Jiufen, purchasing Taipei Fun Pass to gain free access to famous tourist attractions in Taipei is another great thing to try.
- HSR pass: Fast and affordable way of transport across Taiwan. Find out more about HSR pass right here.
- Rent private cabs from Taoyuan airport: It is quite costly taking a taxi from the airport to hotels, approximately around 1000-1200 TWD. Therefore, renting a car is the most convenient way
How to get to Jiufen? What everyone should know
- Take TRA to Rui Fang station: TRA is the railway commonly taken to Jiufen and Shifen. Easy Card/IPass is the best way to buy train tickets. From Rui Fang station, you can catch 788/825/827/1062 buses to Jiufen.
- Jiufen Shuttle Bus Line: From Ximen station it would take about 460 TWD to get to Jiufen. Buy shuttle bus tickets here.
Side note: It is recommendable to go by train thanks to the speed and the Rui Fang station itself – there are many food vendors for visitors to stop by and grab some food and drinks. Keep this in mind!
Jiufen tea house: Follow Chihiro to discover Jiufen tea houses
The famous animated movie Spirited Away took inspiration from the old town of Jiufen with red lanterns and traditional tea houses, restaurants along the streets. If you have ever imagined yourself wandering around the lively world of Spirited Away, you will have that dream comes true now at Jiufen tea stores, the scene and the vibe are not any less similar.
Along the streets of Jiufen, you may come across souvenir vendors that sell gifts of Spirited Away images. This is the “destinated” town of many Ghibli Studio fans. Moreover, it is hard to take your eyes away from traditional Taiwanese restaurants – which many tourists love to stop by.
Arrive in Jiufen this time, let us introduce you to all the tea flavours at Jiufen’s most famous tea houses.
Best teahouse in Jiufen: Amei Tea House
Slowly enjoy hot teacups in a wide space and a picturesque view of the sea – this is what you can find at Amei Tea House, a distinctive Jiufen tea house. Traditional Amei Tea House is well-known by tourists for great quality and amazing, thorough services. Be ready to taste the delicious Oolong tea, served with different cakes like mochi, red bean cakes, mung bean cakes,…
At Amei Tea House, you will be instructed on how to taste tea like an authentic Taiwanese by the servers. Firstly, tea leaves have to be cleaned by the water they provide. After rinsing, pour hot water in and wait until the leaves dissolve in water. Pour in a small cup to smell the tea, if it has reached the desired smell, you can start drinking from the next cup.
It is best to arrive at Amei Tea House before 3 pm and advisably on weekdays to avoid crowding. Find more details and reserve a table on this link.
Address: 224, Taiwan, New Taipei City, Ruifang District, 市下巷20號
Opening Hours: 08:30–23:00
Phone number: +886 2 2496 0833
Top Jiufen tea house: Jiufen Tea House
Jiufen Tea House is a traditional tea shop located in an old building – probably a hundred years old. Not only being a tea house, but this is also a library of images and crafts. Landscape paintings, window blinds and tea utensils made of copper or wood are displayed here, create a vintage atmosphere that lets customers’ minds relaxed and free flow with the scent of Jiufen tea.
Given a gorgeous location with a beautiful view of the sea and mountain, Jiufen Tea House is famous among tourists. Learning about the traditional art of tea enriches customers’ experience, provides them with a new perspective of Taiwanese tea-drinking culture now and then. After experiencing the art of tea, customers can buy tea as a gift for friends and relatives at home.
Not to miss out on the chance of experiencing Jiufen Tea House, you can reserve a table in advance right on this link. Refreshing cups of tea and their addictive scent will surely ease your muscle after a long day exploring Jiufen.
Address: No. 142, Jishan Street, Ruifang District, New Taipei City, Taiwan 224
Opening Hours: 10:30–21:00
Phone number: +886 2 2496 9056
Best teahouse in Jiufen: Siidcha Tea House
Siidcha Tea House possesses a more modernized style compared to Jiu Fen Tea House, especially the rooftop view of Jiufen old town is considered as the greatest among all tea houses in Jiufen. Here, you will get the chance to drink tea like the Hakka people of Taiwan. Hakka Taiwanese own their style of tea called Lei Cha – tea ground with different types of herbs – the flavour is super fresh and the drink is good for health also.
Drinking tea is not the only activity you will do, as visitors can directly observe the tea being ground, and grabbing a cone of matcha ice cream later is also one of their favourites. Remember to put Siidcha Tea House on your Jiufen ideal tea tour checklist!
Address: No. 166號, Jishan Street, Ruifang District, New Taipei City, Taiwan 224
Opening Hours: 11:00–19:00
Phone number: +886 2 2496 9976
Best teahouse in Jiufen: Skyline Tea House
Watching the sunset next to a luxurious cup of Oolong tea, it sounds like the best combo ever. At Skyline Tea House you will be served the Oolong that is planted right on Taiwanese soil. Served together with tea are light snacks such as charcoal peanuts, dried plum or dried guava. The hot cup soothes the sweet and sour taste of dried plum and guava, blends them together and creates the most delightful, comfortable feeling from the very first sips.
It is advisable to arrive at Skyline Tea House from 4 pm, that is when the sun goes down, Jiufen is covered by vivid colours from mother nature and street lights at night. The picturesque scene is waiting for you to be amazed, with naked eyes. Book voucher to experience tea in Skyline at here.
Address: 224, Taiwan, New Taipei City, Ruifang District
Opening Hours: 9a.m.–9p.m.
Phone number: +886 2 2496 7733
Traditional Taiwanese Tea House
The last on our tea tour in Jiufen list today, Traditional Taiwanese Tea House is a little bit tricky to find because it locates at the end of Jiufen town. You need to seek for the dark, wooden balcony that is prominent on the outside. The tea house is placed on top of a slope so it would require more effort from those who wear high heels, sneakers are definitely more preferable.
Located on a balcony, the view is unquestionably beautiful, as you can watch the entire scene down there, from the mountains to the sea. And I have not mentioned rainy days, how romantic it is seeing hills half-hiding behind the blurry screen, and listening to teardrops from the sky? Do all of those sound appealing enough to compensate for your climbing effort?
Traditional Taiwanese Tea House serves meal courses. Most of them are cooked in Taiwanese style which is oily, if this does not sound like a thing for you, consider eating somewhere else in Jiufen town before arrival.
The discovery of tea houses in Jiufen is similar to hopping on the time machine, it brings up the vintage, nostalgic vibe for anyone seeks for it. If you belong to those kind souls, never stop cherishing the beauty of the past like me, I hope you will make use of this list some day. I wish you an amazing trip to Jiufen, Taiwan!
Some best day tours, trips, activities and transfer services, tickets in, to and from Taipei you can refer to
- [SALE] Taoyuan Airport MRT Ticket & Exclusive Shopping Coupon
- Yehliu, Jiufen, and Shifen Day Tour with Taiwanese Pastry Making.
- Taipei Popular Sightseeing Private Car Charter : Jiufen, Pingxi, and North Coast (Chinese/English/Korean)
- Northeast Coast Scenic Day Tour
- Jiufen Shuttle Bus from Ximen
- Yehliu, Shifen, and Jiufen Day Tour with Korean and English Speaking Guides
- [10% Off + 1 Extra Free Day] 4G SIM Card (TW Airport Pick Up) for Taiwan from Chunghwa Telecom
- 4G SIM Card (TPE Airport Pick Up) for Taiwan from Far EasTone Telecom
- 4G WiFi (TW Airport Pick Up) for Taiwan
- [Sale – Taiwan Food Promo] Taiwan High Speed Rail (THSR) Discounted Ticket from Taipei
- Taiwan High Speed Rail (THSR) Consecutive Unlimited Pass (2 or 3 Days)
- Taiwan High Speed Rail (THSR) Discounted Ticket from Taoyuan
- THSR Exclusive Discount One Way Ticket from Taoyuan (Two Tickets for the Price of One)
Are you looking for more Jiufen travel guide and top things to do in Jiufen: Tours, activities, attractions and other things? Read more: Jiufen day trip from Taipei — How to spend 1 perfect day in Jiufen? and Jiufen Shifen itinerary: Jiufen Shifen day trip — How to visit Jiufen and Shifen in one day from Taipei?