If you are Korean drama followers or interested in Korea’s culture, you’ll be no stranger to the word “Hanbok”. Hanbok (in South Korea), known as Choseon-ot (in North Korea), is the traditional clothing of both North & South Korea. Renting this clothing and taking photos in Seoul in particular or Korea in general, are exciting experiences you never forget in this land of Kimchi. Wearing a beautiful Hanbok, you’ll easily become a cute Korean boy or girl. And here is some basic information about how to rent a Hanbok in Seoul. So, how much to rent hanbok in Seoul and where to rent hanbok in Seoul? Let’s check out our Hanbok rental Seoul review on how to rent hanbok in Seoul and best places to rent hanbok in Seoul to find out the answer!
- When is the best time to visit Seoul? — The best, worst, cheapest & best season to visit Seoul
- Seoul cherry blossom 2024 forecast — 9 best places to see cherry blossoms in Seoul
- What to do in Seoul in winter? — 9+ best things to do in Seoul in winter & in Korea in winter
- Seoul autumn foliage 2023 forecast — The time & 13+ best places to see autumn leaves in Seoul
- Korea fall foliage forecast 2023 — The time & 16+ best place to see autumn leaves in Korea
Hanbok is divided into 2 types: for men and for women which is more complicated with some accessories. Woman’s Hanbok will have two main parts: A jacket (called Jeogori) and a long skirt (called Chima). In addition, Hanbok of the aristocracy will add a silk bag on the left-side of the skirt with a few accessories.
Hanbok Rental Seoul Review: Why I should rent Hanbok in Seoul?
Firstly, Hanbok had been Korean’s daily outfit for 2000 years. It has a lot of different types representing different statuses in Korea. Nowadays, this clothing is only worn on special occasions or anniversaries. Many tourists traveling to Seoul rent Hanbok because of curiosity and wanting to know clearly about it.
Secondly, when visiting palaces in Seoul, you will be amazed as getting lost in the Joseon Dynasty over 200 years ago. Here, many people wearing Hanbok go for a walk naturally, just like the normal lives. And one special thing is tourists will get free entrance to palaces, temples, … in Seoul.
Thirdly, you will have opportunity to explore The Hanbok Tower Museum, join in Hanbok exhibitions or even saving a lot of wonderful moments with this traditional clothing.
Where to rent hanbok in Seoul, places to rent hanbok in Seoul and how much to rent hanbok in Seoul?
Renting Hanbok in Seoul, offered by many shops in the center of the city, nowadays are becoming a popular service. Visitors can easily choose from available variety of Hanbok styles and sizes.
Depending on each shop and the demand of tourists, Hanbok Rental Services are brought in. Tourists can rent a Hanbok for 90 minutes, 4 hours or even all day, it’s up to them. Usually, visitors use the ninety-minute or four-hour service to experience all palaces, temples… in Seoul.
There are two places for you to rent a Hanbok: The Bukchon Hanok Village and Gyeongbokgung Palace. However, the cost in these two places are also different. In Gyeongbokgung Palace, you can rent a Hanbok with the price from $13 to $31. And in the Bukchon Hanok Village, the price is about $16 to $25 with a bonus of free hair make-up.
- Link to rent hanbok at Bukchon Hanok Village: Bukchon Oneday Hanbok Rental Experience (4/24 Hrs).
- Link to rent hanbok at Gyeongbokgung Palace: [Sale] Hanbok Experience (Hanboknam Gyeongbokgung Store) with Korean Hairstyling.
Also in Seoul, you can rent Hanbok in Oneday Hanbok Rental near Anguk Station, Exit where you’ll have a large choice of Hanboks with a good helpful staff. About time, if you rent for 4 hours, the price will be $13 or if you want to rent all day, it’ll cost $24. Those all are not include the expense cost which usually at $3.9.
Furthermore, at Namsan Tower – a symbol of Korea TV, you’ll able to rent a Hanbok and check-in at reproduction-room.
Link to rent hanbok at Namsan Tower (N-Seoul Tower): [Buy 1 Get 1] N Seoul Tower Cultural Hanbok Experience.
By contrast, there are a few free renting destinations such as M Plaza in Myeongdong (Address: 27 Myeongdong 8-gil, Myeongdong 2(i)-ga, Jung-gu, Seoul, South Korea), you only need to register and wait for your turn to be in your beautiful Hanbok. To get here, you must go to Myeongdong Station, Exit 4 then go straight about 150 meters and M Plaza is on your right. Or sticker shop in Insadong Ssamziegil, if you buy some of their stickers about 5.000 won, you are free to try on Hanbok here.
Hanbok rental Seoul review: Some tips you should know before renting hanbok
The renting time is normally starting at 11 a.m until 8 p.m everyday. Generally, you should rent in the morning to get a lovely Hanbok as well as to take a lot of beautiful pictures. Beside, their shop are always adding a bonus of service including hats, broochies, shoes,….
Diverse designs of Hanbok represent for each different status, so don’t worry about asking the staff to help you find out what accessories would match with your Hanbok.
Depending on the distance between the store and the tourist destination as well as the quality that the rental prices are also different.
When renting Hanbok, you are offered to leave not only identity card or passport if you are foreigner but also some money as a deposit. And the time of renting begin when you are out of the shop. So whatever you do, remember to turn back the Hanbok on time or else you’ll lose money or the cost even higher if this clothing has something wrong.
Travelling to each country, every tourist always wants to discover and experience the culture as well as the tradition of that country. Renting Hanbok in Seoul is a lovely service helping tourist have unforgetable experiences when visiting Korea. Wearing Hanbok then taking photos in town, palaces, temples, … is clever promote tourism activity and tourist attraction to this land of Kimchi.
Some best day tours, trips, activities and transfer services, tickets in and from Seoul you can refer to
- Private Incheon International Airport Transfers (ICN) for Seoul
- Discover Seoul Pass (BTS Edition Available)
- [SALE] Instant Ticket! Korea Rail Pass (KR PASS) 2/3/4/5 Days to travel around the cities in Korea
- Private Incheon Airport (ICN) and Gimpo Airport (GMP) Transfers for Seoul by S.A Tour
- KAL Limousine Bus Ticket for Seoul
- [Limited Offer] AREX Incheon Airport Express Train One Way Ticket in Seoul
- Bukchon Oneday Hanbok Rental Experience (4/24 Hrs)
- Nami Island, Petite France, Garden of Morning Calm, and Gangchon Rail Bike Day Tour from Seoul
- Seoul City Sightseeing Bus (Downtown Palace Namsan Course/Seoul Panorama Course)
- [Limited Offer] Incheon International Airport (ICN) Luggage Services (Between Airport and Hotel) by Safex
- 4G Prepaid SIM Card (SK Airports Pick Up) for South Korea
- [Sale] Hanbok Experience (Hanboknam Gyeongbokgung Store) with Korean Hairstyling
- [SALE] South Korea 4G Pocket WiFi (KR Airports Pick Up) from KT Olleh
- 4G WiFi (MY Airport Pick Up) for South Korea (Unlimited Data)
- 4G Portable WiFi for South Korea from Uroaming (Unlimited Data)
Are you looking for more Seoul travel guide and top things to do in Seoul: Tours, activities, attractions and other things? Read more: Seoul travel blog — The fullest Seoul travel guide blog for a wonderful budget trip to Seoul for the first time.