There is a market held from dawn until noon in Yonghe. If this market also offers groceries and other fruits or vegetables like many other local markets, it will certainly not appear in our travel blog. So, what’s hot in Fuhe Bridge Flea Market (Fuhe Flea Market Taipei, Fuhe Secondhand Market)? Let us introduce to you the coolest market in Yonghe to discover one of the most famous flea markets in Taiwan to find out the answer!
- Top night markets in Taiwan — Top 11 best night markets in Taiwan
- Bitoujiao Taiwan travel blog — Explore Bitoujiao – Jiufen – Shifen in 1 day
- How to get around Taipei? — 3 best way to get around Taipei & how to go around Taipei?
- What to do in Taipei 101? — The fullest Taipei 101 guide, a place that captivates Taipei visitors
- How to go to Jiufen from Taipei? — 3 best ways on how to get to Jiufen and Shifen from Taipei
Fuhe Bridge Flea Market: Taiwan backpacker’s travel experience: Shopping for secondhand goods at Fuhe Flea Market Taipei
The market is located at the foot of Fuhe Bridge, if you want to explore around the area, you should take the following bus route 672, 254, 74, 311 and 208. When getting off at the stop at Fuhe Bridge Station, you can cross the road, walk backwards along the foot of Fuhe Bridge that the bus has just passed by for about 7 minutes to arrive at the market.
Or you can take the MRT to Gongguan Station, get off at Exit 1 then take a taxi ride to the address provided at the end of this post (the cost is about 80 TWD).
When looking down from above, the market stands out from other places due to the colorful stalls: There are several hundred stalls compactly packed in the area, which gives antiquated vibes because all the items being sold here are used. Some may have been used since last year, some are even from twenty or thirty years ago. It could be anything you need (or don’t need): old pots and pans, kerosene lamps, lighters, a pair of cool 2010 Dr Martens shoes with a slightly worn sole, an authentic fashionable jacket from Ralph Lauren fall-winter collections in the 1990s, a outdated copper pot, an old phonograph which must have been a huge asset of someone, a piece of antique furniture such as wooden cabinets, telephones, pictures or old vinyl records which are available in great quantities at this market. Better yet, there is a seller who sells thousands of scissors of all sizes and colors that we keep wondering where he collected them and for how long?
Unlike the Sham Shui Po flea market in Hongkong, the market in Yonghe is a bit quieter and more orderly although the sellers and buyers are still busy trading goods. The sellers often just smile, answer your questions if you ask them something, not often peddling because of the broad categories of goods they are selling. There are so many small things in the same stall, you will need to take a look at them by yourself.
It is a cool morning with light breezes and there are silver clouds above in the sunny sky. Taipei is no longer humid as yesterday. It is worth mentioning that today is the Qingming Festival so the market is even more crowded and bustling. I must say once again that the shop owners of these stalls are elders so each market meeting is probably a festive day. On one side, two owners sell footwear while having some beer. A little bit further on the market corner, there is a karaoke setup with a screen and amplifiers, along are a couple of speakers that play very good music. An owner of a plant stall has taken over the microphone to sing and dance on the background laughter of his old friends. He seems very happy today.
We are still looking around excitedly. The most exciting part is the bargain vintage shirt that we have bought for about $3. Hanging around a little longer, we have got a luxurious pair of green shoes for around $4 from an owner who must have been in the army. He has a stall selling shirts and around 7 pairs of shoes. Usually he would lie in a comfortable camping chair though the customers leisurely look around his stall, but if anyone asks him something, he would immediately turn up, enthusiastically giving advice. The brief transaction between the owner and our team. He smiles and gives an officer salute when saying goodbye. We have already walked away, but our hearts keep being fluttered.
Around 11 a.m., I have thought that I had a wonderful day already, but just a few minutes later, I break into a smile upon meeting an owner selling genuine Allen Edmonds shoes that cost only a quarter of the original price. The soles of the shoes are only slightly scratched, and we are still able to see the price tag, smooth platforms and dedicated design like those of a middle-class British lady.
Additionally, I must say that it depends on your luck whether you can get something good when going to Fuhe Bridge Market. Since the goods are secondhanded, it is not always possible to find great bargains. Here you can bargain and the sellers hardly speak any English. A small note for you that you should go at around 10 a.m. when the sellers are about to collect the goods to go home, you may be able to buy some unexpectedly cheap items. And also remember to bring an umbrella though because the sun will make you feel burning hot especially when it’s crowded.
Fuhe Bridge Flea Market
Address: New Taipei City, Yonghe District, Huanhe Donglu Section 3 (新北市永和區環河東路3)段
Opening hours: 4:30 A.M. – 12:30 P.M.
Some best day tours, trips, activities and transfer services, tickets in, to and from Taipei you can refer to
- Taoyuan Airport Private Transfers (TPE) for Taipei
- Sedan Taoyuan Airport Transfers (TPE) for Taipei
- [SALE] Taoyuan Airport MRT Ticket & Exclusive Shopping Coupon
- Luxury Taoyuan Airport Transfers (TPE) for Taipei
- Explore Taipei City
- Taipei Free Walking Tour Historic Route
- Taipei Double Decker Bus Tour
- Taipei Popular Sightseeing Private Car Charter : Jiufen, Pingxi, and North Coast (Chinese/English/Korean)
- Northeast Coast Scenic Day Tour
- Jiufen Shuttle Bus from Ximen
- Yehliu, Shifen, and Jiufen Day Tour with Korean and English Speaking Guides
- [10% Off + 1 Extra Free Day] 4G SIM Card (TW Airport Pick Up) for Taiwan from Chunghwa Telecom
- 4G SIM Card (TPE Airport Pick Up) for Taiwan from Far EasTone Telecom
- 4G WiFi (TW Airport Pick Up) for Taiwan
- 4G Portable WiFi for Taiwan from Uroaming (Unlimited Data)
- 4G Portable WiFi for Taiwan from WiFiBB (Unlimited Data)
- 4G LTE WiFi (TW Airport Pick Up) for Japan
- [Sale – Taiwan Food Promo] Taiwan High Speed Rail (THSR) Discounted Ticket from Taipei
- Taiwan High Speed Rail (THSR) Consecutive Unlimited Pass (2 or 3 Days)
- Taiwan High Speed Rail (THSR) Discounted Ticket from Taoyuan
- THSR Exclusive Discount One Way Ticket from Taoyuan (Two Tickets for the Price of One)
Are you finding more top things to do in Taipei: Tours, activities, attractions and other things? Read more: Taipei travel blog — The fullest Taipei city guide for a wonderful trip to Taipei for the first-timers.