What to eat and what to buy in Qishan Old Street?
1001 dishes throughout Taiwan probably gather here. From traditional food, salty food, sweet food, desserts, snacks … all are available. Only afraid that you will be engrossed in eating but forgetting the way to go home, Qishan Kaohsiung does not lack the delicious food.
- Kaohsiung itinerary — Suggested Kaohsiung itinerary 3 days & how to spend 3 days in Kaohsiung?
- Taiwan itinerary 10 days — What to do & How to spend 10 days in Taiwan perfectly?
- What to do in Kaohsiung at night? — Best Kaohsiung nightlife & Top 6 things to do in Kaohsiung at night
- Best shopping in Kaohsiung — Top 12 Kaohsiung cheap shopping place & biggest shopping mall in Kaohsiung
- What to eat in Kaohsiung & where to eat in Kaohsiung? — Top 15 Kaohsiung must eat food & best places to try them
Specialties in Qishan Old Street is BANANA! In addition to home grown bananas brought to the public for sale, dishes related to bananas such as banana pancakes roll with eggs, sweet cakes made from bananas, banana smoothies … are also foods you MUST TRY! There’s even banana beer, it’s very strange!
Although this is a place visited by many tourists, the price of things is not too expensive. In addition to eating and drinking, you can buy souvenirs to give to your family and friends, bearing characteristics of Kaohsiung. A lot of small, pretty, lovely things to buy. Just eating, shopping, walking, taking photos also took a few hours not less.
The next destination will be Meinong Folk Village, only about 5km from Qishan Old Street. Most of the population here is Hakka people, so this place is rich in the cultural colors of the Hakka people. The most unique cultural feature is the umbrellas made of colorful oil paper. The umbrellas with many different sizes, diverse colors, patterns are decorated and sold everywhere. Very beautiful!
A small tip for you, there is also a guide to making umbrellas here. You will be able to make your own personal oil paper umbrella to bring back as a souvenir gift. Remember, try it, don’t miss it!
Speaking of specialties in Hakka cuisine culture, it is impossible not to mention Hakka Tea Rice (Lei Cha). It is made by grinding peanuts, sesame seeds, brown rice and other ingredients, then adding tea powder and finally hot water. One more thing you should not miss when coming to Meinong Folk Village.
If Qishan Kaohsiung is famous for its sugarcane and bananas, Meinong is the area where many tobacco plants are grown. You should visit Tobacco Towers, an unique architecture in the Meinong area. Also, if you want to learn more about the life and culture of the Hakka people, don’t miss the Meinong Hakka Cultural Museum (Address: No. 49-3號, Minzu Road, Meinong District, Kaohsiung City, Taiwan 843 / Opened: April 28, 2001/Hours: 9AM–5PM; Monday: Closed / Phone: +886 7 681 8338) in your journey. At the end of the day, stop at Yellow Butterfly Valley, a small valley with a beautiful stream, cool trees and so many butterflies.
If you do not want to self-sufficient traveling, you should book tour with travel agencies like KKDay or Klook, they will take you to more than 10 attractions. All are packed up in one-day itinerary but visiting many places like that is nothing more wonderful.
Some best day tours, trips, activities and transfer services, tickets in, to and from Kaohsiung you can refer to
- Kaohsiung Classic Attractions Day Tour
- Kaohsiung Unlimited MRT Pass
- Kaohsiung i-Ride Experience Center
- Mini Suzuka Circuit Kart Racing Ticket in Kaohsiung
- Kaohsiung Sea and Mountain Tour
- Kaohsiung Night Tour
- Suzuka Circuit Park Ticket in Kaohsiung
- [10% Off + 1 Extra Free Day] 4G SIM Card (TW Airport Pick Up) for Taiwan from Chunghwa Telecom
- 4G SIM Card (TPE Airport Pick Up) for Taiwan from Far EasTone Telecom
- 4G WiFi (TW Airport Pick Up) for Taiwan
- 4G Portable WiFi for Taiwan from Uroaming (Unlimited Data)
- 4G Portable WiFi for Taiwan from WiFiBB (Unlimited Data)
- 4G LTE WiFi (TW Airport Pick Up) for Japan
- [Sale – Taiwan Food Promo] Taiwan High Speed Rail (THSR) Discounted Ticket from Taipei
- Taiwan High Speed Rail (THSR) Consecutive Unlimited Pass (2 or 3 Days)
- Taiwan High Speed Rail (THSR) Discounted Ticket from Taoyuan
- THSR Exclusive Discount One Way Ticket from Taoyuan (Two Tickets for the Price of One)
Are you finding more top things to do in Kaohsiung: Tours, activities, attractions and other things? Read more: Kaohsiung blog — The fullest Kaohsiung travel guide blog for a budget trip to Kaohsiung, Taiwan.