Chiang Mai is a mountainous city in the north of Thailand, it has been a must-visit city when coming to Thailand thanks to its special history and culture. Where are the best areas to stay in Chiang Mai? Let’s discover the three areas stayed most by tourists around the world when traveling to Chiang Mai. Whether you come to Chiang Mai on your world tour, go with your family or just make it part of your holiday in Thailand, choose the right hotel can make your trip great or destroy it. Living Nomads has specially compiled a list of these popular areas, recording the advantages and disadvantages of each of the following specific places for you. If you are wondering where to stay in Chiang Mai, then here are your answer. Let’s review where to stay in Chiang Mai? — Top 3 best places to stay in Chiang Mai for first timers below.
- Chiang Mai itinerary 5 days — The suggested Chiang Mai 5 days 4 nights itinerary & How to spend 5 days in Chiang Mai
- Best homestay in Bangkok — Top 6 cool, cheap homestay in Bangkok & best hostels in Bangkok for solo travellers
- Chiang Mai travel blog — The fullest Chiang Mai travel guide for a great trip to the “Rose of the North” of Thailand
- Top places to visit in Chiang Mai — Top 19 most famous, beautiful, must go & best places to visit in Chiang Mai
- Top hostels in Chiang Mai — 9 best hostels in Chiang Mai & cheap homestay in Chiang Mai
1. Where to stay in Chiang Mai? Should you book a hotel near Chiang Mai Old City?
Chiang Mai Old City is full of ancient temples, citadel and famous places of interest.
Just looking at the map and you will see the Old City of Chiang Mai. There is a 700-year-old bastion wall and a beautiful trench that forms a perfect square in the heart of the city. So should you stay in Chiang Mai Old City?
This historical center contains many things that most people come here to look for: the ancient temples, busy markets, cheap guest houses, nice boutiques and never-ending “supplies” of Thai spa and massage shops. The most famous place is near ThaePae Gate in the western part of the city. You can also reach the highway easily from here.
Who is this place for?
- Tourists who on a small budget and backpackers
- Those who want to be in the heart of Chiang Mai and close to many places of interests.
- A wide range of cheap guest houses, hotels, restaurants, bars, markets, spas. You can easily to get anywhere.
- Easy access to most of other areas of the city
- Many temples, museums, and galleries
- The roads around the moat are often jammed at rush hour
- The most commercialized area in the city
- There are almost no big resort
Address: 172/1 rachamanka Rd, Old City, Chiang Mai, Thailand, 50200
The Arak Bed Bar and Hostel
Address: 21/1 Singharat Road Soi 3, T.Sri Phoom, A.Muang, Old City, Chiang Mai, Thailand, 50200
2. Where best areas to stay in Chiang Mai? How about booking a hotel in Riverside area?
Quiet and gentle, Riverside is a paradise for those who want a true relaxation in northern Thailand.
If you like to have a nice view and a quiet hotel, Riverside is definitely the place for you. Located slightly out of the city center (about 10 minutes drive), the Ping River proudly offers you a quiet and tranquil atmosphere compared to the Old City and Night Bazaar.
Although Riverside area is nice and quiet, you can still have fun with the waterfront restaurants, bars, and cafes. Although there are a few cheap places around the area, most Riverside hotels tend to be luxurious. But do not forget luxury is not always synonymous with exorbitant price in the paradise of Thailand.
Who is this place for?
- Families looking for spacious and comfortable resorts
- Older travelers with the higher demand and can afford to pay for a superior room
- Anyone who finds a relaxing and picturesque holiday
- There are a selection of resorts and luxury hotels at affordable prices
- Nice view of Ping River
- Easy to travel, can go to the highway leading to the airport, the bus station and the train as well
- Many of the riverside restaurants offer picturesque view
- Feel like you are missing the bustling atmosphere as well as the main activities in the city
- Shopping and nightlife are limited
- Few budget options
Zensala Riverpark Resort
Address: 168 Patan Road, Chiang Mai 50300, Thailand
Address: 75 Chiang Mai – Lamphun Road, Wat Ket, Muang, Wat Ket, 50000 Chiang Mai, Thailand
3. What is special about staying in the Night Bazaar area?
Located just outside of Old City, the Night Bazaar is a place for those who love shopping.
This place is home to Chiang Mai’s largest night market which is open every day. The nightlife scene in this area, although not as much as it is in Niman, still attracts a steady stream of visitors.
There are many bars for foreigners, as well as some “disruptive” late-night shows and go-go around LoiKhroh. In terms of accommodation, you have many options as well as souvenirs are sold in this area. There are many places to stay, from affordable guesthouses to luxurious resorts such as towers rising in the sky of this northern city.
Busy and full of shopping activities – the Night Bazaar is truly a paradise for shoppers
Who is this place for?
- Those like shopping
- Those who want to stay in the middle of Riverside and Old City
- Families or groups of friends
- The night market is something that can not be missed in Chiang Mai
- Easy access to Riverside and Old City
- Many bars are full of fun
- Some disco and club nights for “night owls”
- There are not many cultural attractions
- Quite crowded
Le Meridien Chiang Mai
Address: 108 Chang Klan Road, Tambol Chang Klan, Amphur Muang, Chang Khlan, 50100 Chiang Mai, Thailand
Shangri-La Hotel, Chiang Mai
Address: 89/8 Chang Klan Road, Muang, Chang Khlan, 50100 Chiang Mai, Thailand
Each area has its own unique atmosphere, although there are dozens of great places to stay outside the city, in the countryside. But with the above destinations, we have chosen the best area to stay in Chiang Mai when getting to Thailand the first time. I hope that these areas help you to find an answer for where to stay in Chiang Mai. Choose your favorite area and let us know your opinion in the comment. Wish you have a nice trip to Chiang Mai!
Chiang Mai accommodation
Are you looking for more Chiang Mai travel guide and top things to do in Chiang Mai? Let’s read: Chiang Mai travel blog — The fullest Chiang Mai travel guide for a great trip to the “Rose of the North” of Thailand.