Thailand has always been listed as one of the best cities to visit in the world. There are endless things to do and to see in that amazing country. It is appealing to every tourist of all age. If you are an adventure-seeker or a Pinterest addict, Maeklong Railway Market is a new interesting spot for you to explore when coming to Bangkok, Thailand!
- Explore Mega Bangna Bangkok — The second largest store in Southeast Asia
- Chatuchak shopping — Top 5 best shops in Chatuchak market you must visit
- Explore Phuket weekend night market — Enjoy shopping at Phuket’s most famous night market
- Chatuchak market blog — Get lost at Chatuchak weekend market Bangkok, Thailand
- Explore Rod Fai Night Market — One of the most attractive night markets in Bangkok
You may have seen a video on Facebook about a train getting through a local market in Thailand. The Maeklong Market is located on the outskirts of Bangkok – a must-see spot on your trip to Thailand. The train runs across the market several times a day. When everyone hears the traffic signal of the train, they clean the seats and cargo as fast as the wind, and after it passes, less than a minute, you still stand in a busy market.
Maeklong is about 70km southwest of the city of Bangkok. Coming to this market, you almost see the local products such as fish, vegetables and textiles.
It is about eight times a day when the sellers clear all of their goods from the train tracks and drag the kinds of stuff inside to make the way for the train. It’s funny and interesting to see how fast they are in this situation.
The timing of the train passes by occasionally changs a bit and there is a very late train. The most important thing is you still have enough time to explore this exciting market.
Where to see the most of the attractive market?
Before the train crosses, you can hear the whistle from far away, so you still have time to find yourself an ideal place to look. Train station is not a good suggestion, as you will stand with about 50 people with their iPhones or cameras to capture the most vivid photos.
However, it is also very fun to see the scene of how excited people are when getting a very new experience.
A better place to look at the train will be somewhere right in the market. Make sure you stand in front of all the people and if you are brave enough to linger for the train to capture the unique photos.
How to get to Maeklong Railway Market?
From Bangkok, you can visit the market during the day as it is quite close. Or you can go by local means of transport – by train through the market and wait for the next train. If you choose this way, the schedule is as below:
From Bangkok, take the subway to Wong Wian Station. At Wong Wian Station, take the Mahachai train (also known as Samut Sakhon). It takes about 1 hour. After that, take the ferry to Ban Laem. When getting to Ban Laem Station, continue to take the train to Maeklong.
Maeklong Railway Market train schedule
To help you easily visualize, Living Nomads has a schedule below for your references:
- 10.40 am: Start your journey by train from Wongwian Yai to Mahachai
- 11:39 pm: Arrive at Mahachai. Go straight to the pier and take the ferry; then get a ferry ticket to Ban Laem Station (5 baht). Buy direct train ticket to the railway station at Maeklong Market.
- 12.10 pm – The train starts running to Ban Laem Maeklong.
- 13:45 pm – Get to Maeklong. Buy minibus ticket to get back to Bangkok.
- 14.15 pm – Make sure you find a good spot to watch the train running through the market
- 14.30 pm – The train departs
* Note: The departure times may be changed slightly
Maeklong Railway Market Video