What do you think about a snack meal with traditional Japanese tea and sweets in an ancient wooden house in legend with a garden in Tokyo. With only just 5 minutes walk from Jiyugaoka Station, you will reach the Kosoan tea house — The traditional tea room of Tokyo.
- Visiting Owl Shrine Café, Tokyo — Healing the soul by cuteness
- Otaru sushi — Top 4 best sushi restaurants in Otaru, Japan
- Top ramen in Tokyo — Top 6 best ramen restaurants in Tokyo
- Must eat food in Taipei — Top 23+ best street food in Taipei & best places to eat them
- Best dessert in Taipei — Top 5 sweet cafes & best dessert restaurant in Taipei
Kosoan is a traditional Japanese old house made of wood, with a beautiful garden.
You will be sitting on a tatami mat in a large room, decorated with a lot of of Japanese items such as bowls, mugs, cups, toys, swords and paintings.
Kosoan offers you a wide variety of traditional Japanese beverages and sweets. You will be served mainly green tea, milk green tea, banana or strawberry, fresh fruits or coffee if any.
About sweets and groceries there are many traditional Japanese sweets such as sweet red bean soup with rice cakes, “anmitsu” — a bowl of red bean paste, fresh fruits and warabi mochi (jelly vegetable for Muslims).
The special thing of Kosoan is “matcha zenzai”, a hot matcha bowl with cakes and red bean paste at the bottom. The contrast between the bitter taste of green tea and the sweetness of red bean paste creating up a great taste and delicious flavor.
The menu has pictures and is translated into English, so it is easy for people who do not know Japanese to order. It is pleasant to have a snack meal while enjoying views of the tranquil and peaceful garden through the window.
The store here sells some cute souvenirs and handmade Japanese dolls.
If you want to experience Japan’s unforgettable moments in Tokyo, do not miss the Kosoan in Jiyugaoka.
Address: 1-24-23 Jiyugaoka, Meguro-ku, Tokyo, Japan
Hours: daily 11:30 a.m. – 6:30 p.m.. Closed on Wednesdays.
Phone: +81 3-3718-4203
Access: Kosoan is within a 7-minute walk from Jiyugaoka station (Tokyu Toyoko Line or Tokyu Oimachi Line).
Some best day tours, trips, activities and transfer services, tickets in, to and from Tokyo you can refer to
- Private Narita International Airport Transfers (NRT) for Tokyo 23 Wards, Hakone, or Karuizawa
- Private Haneda International Airport Transfers (HND) for Tokyo 23 Wards, Hakone, or Karuizawa
- Airport Limousine Bus Transfers from/to Narita and Haneda International Airport (Free Wifi Onboard)
- Tokyo Amazing Sightseeing Bus Day Tour
- Tokyo Highlights Private Day Tour
- Nikko Day Tour from Tokyo
- Mt Fuji & Hakone Day Tour: Lake Ashi & Ropeway Day Trip from Tokyo
- Nikko Cultural Day Tour from Tokyo
- Tokyo Subway Ticket (24, 48, or 72 Hours)
- Tokyo Skyliner and Tokyo Subway Ticket
- Shuttle Bus Transfers (One Way/Round Trip) from Shinjuku/Ikebukuro to Tokyo Disneyland or Tokyo DisneySea
- Sky Hop-on and Hop-off Bus Pass
- 4G Prepaid Sim Card (JP Airports Pick Up) for Japan
- 4G WiFi (Japan Pick Up) for Japan
- JR Pass for Whole Japan (7, 14, or 21 Days)
Are you finding more top things to do in Tokyo: Tours, activities, attractions and other things? Read more: Tokyo travel blog — The fullest Tokyo city guide for a budget trip for the first time visiting Tokyo, Japan.