One of Bangkok’s most amazing things is walking around the city, it is also an interesting experience. These bus routes have cost less 10baht, and even a half-hour on the taxi is only about 200baht, so the costs incurred very low but you still enjoy the beautiful scenery and fascinating sound, hilarious of Bangkok. However, there are more wonderful if your destination is free? Along Living Nomads to explore top Top 9 wonderful & best places to visit in Bangkok for free below.
- Best things to do in Bangkok at night — 4 best fun & top things to do in Bangkok at night
- Bangkok street food blog — Top 10 best place to eat street food in Bangkok you must visit
- Bangkok travel blog — The fullest Bangkok travel guide blog for first-timers
- Kid Mai Death Cafe — Experience the feeling of death at this Bangkok coffee shop
- Best Thai massage in Bangkok — Where to go for massage in Bangkok, Thailand?
1. Traditional Thai Puppet Show in the Artist’s house
Traditional Thai Puppet is gradually fading, and only a few places in Bangkok so you can enjoy the professional puppetry. However, every day (except Wednesday), you can go to the artist’s home in the west of the river at 14:00 and enjoy the performance of some artists who worked for Jean Louis Theater.
The Artist House is an interesting place to explore, with a more than 600-year-old security tower behind the garden and the incredible statues which have similar size with people lying on the porch of the house and overlooking the river. The buildings have been renovated beauty and also has a small cafe there.
- Opening hours: Monday and Tuesday from 10 are to 6 pm. Wednesday to Friday from 9 am to 6 pm. Saturday and Sunday from 9 am to 7 pm
- Location: Wat Soi Thong Sala Ngarm, Phasi Charoen
- Prices: Free
- How to get there: The best way is to use the motorcycle, but you can go by BTS Wongwain Yai station, then catch a taxi to the address above. Make sure to tell the driver about “Baam Silapan” or the name of the nearby temple is “Wat Kuhasawan”
2. Lumpini Park
Lumpini Park is a place seems a bit strange to visit in your itinerary to Bangkok. However, sometimes, this destinations like are also full of surprises things. Must mention 2.5km running track, basketball hoop, and the outdoor gym equipment. You can even participate in the aerobic groups in the evening, or dance with the trendy bands (you can tip for guides). In cool weather season, from November to March, there are jazz and classical music concerts on Sunday are performed by the Bangkok Symphony Orchestra.
- Opening Hours: From 4:30 am to 9 pm
- Location: Rama IV Road, Pathumwan
- Telephone: (+66) 90 248 9874
- Prices: Free
- MRT: Silom, Lumphini
- BTS: Saladaeng
- How to get there: The Silom or Lumpini Park subway stations will drop you in the opposite location of the park
3. Free Meditation Classes in Wat Maha That
Of course, you can visit Wat Mahathat freely, but the most amazing thing is that you can be meditating. Every day, the monks will teach introductory classes for guests both 2 types is meditation and walking meditation
This is an activity that brings peace and reduces stress in your life. Especially, the sessions which only last a few hours certainly will not affect too much to your journey.
The introductory classes take place 3 times a day from 7 am to 10 am, from 1 pm to 4 pm and the last class in the evening from 6 pm to 8 pm.
- Opening hours: From 7 am to 8 pm
- Location: Phra That Road (near Sanam Luang Park, between the Grand Palace and National Museum), Old Town (Rattanakosin)
- Prices: Free
- Telephone: (+66) 2 222 601
- How to get there: The easiest way to get there is by Chao Phraya river express boat. Two piers are at walking distance from the temple, namely Tha Chang pier, and Tha Prachan Nuea pier.
4. Terminal 21 Shopping Mall (Asiatique và Mansion 7)
Shopping is never free, right? But Bangkok is famous for many commercial centers and new centers often try with many ideas and new things to entice visitors. The greatest center to visit is sure to be Terminal 21. Each floor is decorated in the style of big cities such as Tokyo, San Francisco, Paris, and London, this is a place where you will have the opportunity to take back thousands nice photos.
You can take photos before waving big cat, next to the British royal police or the shore of a fountain in Italy. Or even the toilet is also decorated very “playful”, so you remember to check out.
- Opening hours: from 10 am to 10 pm
- Location: Sukhumvit Road (between Soi 19 and 21)
- MRT: Sukhumvit
- BTS: Asok (go directly via the Skywalk)
5. Rod Fai Night Market
The market for this open space located in the eastern suburban of Bangkok and a treasure with vintage items as well as second-hand goods. Even if you have not shopped needs, it is still so great to spend one perfect evening for sightseeing. Some stores are decorated with the antique impressions, like Superman statue and classic Batman, a dentist chair or even a car with the shape of elephant and rotation in the old fairs. In addition, it is also interesting places for you to enjoy sipping a few beers and enjoy foods at bargain prices.
- Opening hours: From 5 pm to midnight, from Friday to Sunday
- Location: Srinakarin Road (behind the Seacon Square Shopping Center)
- How to get there: The best way to get there is via taxi – all drivers should know Seacon Square. However, traffic can be bad on Friday and Saturday nights so you could consider taking the BTS Skytrain to On Nut Station first, then catching a taxi from there.
Located in the Old Town, it opens 24-hour, there are many types of flowers which give you the feeling you’ve stepped outside the busy streets of Bangkok. The best time to visit and experience the flower market is at 4 am. When the trucks, trolleys to delivery flower from many other lands in Thailand, brings thousands of beautiful flowers with great flavor and beautiful color. If you want to walk here without feeling too cluttered, you should go during the day when the sales are selling and displaying flowers.
- Opening hours: 24 hours, but more popular during nighttime
- Telephone: (+66) 87 109 8873
- Location: Chak Phet Road, Memorial Bridge pier Saphan Phut or Chao Phraya
- How to get there: By Tuk Tuk or Taxi
7. See Thai Dancers at Erawan Shrine
In the middle of Siam shopping district of Bangkok, you will find the Erawan Shrine. Nestled in the corner of the Erawan Shopping Centre, Temple is a very famous place in town for people to express their respect and pray. A small golden statue is surrounded by more than thousands of bright yellow flowers and smoke joss stick; you will feel immediately the close and privacy space, mingled with the crowd. The most prominent feature is certainly the performances. Several times a day, a group of traditional Thai dancers will come to perform lithe gestures, express devotion to the gods. If you’re lucky, you can be watched the lion dance.
- Opening hours: From 6 am to 12 pm
- Telephone: (+66) 2 252 8750
- Location: 494 Phloenchit Road, Lumphini, Pathumwan, Bangkok.
- BTS: Chidlom
- How to get there: Alight at Chit Lom BTS Station (refer to BTS guide), Tuk-Tuk or Taxi.
8. Visit The old Thon Buri Railway Station
Located not far behind Siriraj Hospital and the East of new Thonburi Station, this old station has modest size but it is a large warehouse behind, containing 4 or 5 great steam locomotives. Some locomotives even own manufactured for use in a number of special events and make sure you will not see them if you do not come here.
- Location: Khwaeng Siriraj, Khet Bangkok Noi, Krung Thep Maha Nakhon 10700, Thái Lan
- How to get there: Taxis can be got easily outside the pier exit, (as they are dropping people off all the time), if walking is not your choice, or you have luggage.
9. Free Muay Thai Fights at MBK
Thailand is a country which is very proud of Muay Thai martial heritage and not surprised when the crowd of people gathers around the television or radio to listen to news on the latest games. A ticket to watch Muay Thai at Lumpini Stadium is about 1000 baht but if you want to enjoy the free actions, you can reach MBK Shopping Center.
It seems quite strange when going to the commercial center for watching the boxing competition, but every Wednesday from 6 pm MBK Fight Night takes place outside the center, and you can watch freely. There are gladiators from all over the world to play in MBK Fight Night and the atmosphere is very lively. The games here also attract a lot of young gladiators, who is sure to offer you a game full of “blood and fire”.
- Opening hours: From 6 pm to 9 pm
- Location: Pathumwan Intersection, diagonally opposite Siam Discovery Center
- BTS: National Stadium
When making a list of free things to do when traveling Bangkok, livingnomads.com want to choose the special and strange sights, avoiding temples and shopping malls too much. Because, through this list, we hope that you can have exciting experiences which tourists hardly had at the popular destinations in the city.
Some best day tours, trips, activities and transfer services, tickets in, to and from Bangkok you can refer to
- Bangkok City & Temples Tour by Tour East
- Classic Bangkok Tour: Floating Market, Elephant Village, Asiatique, & More by AK Travel
- Bangkok Old City Half Day Tour
- Bangkok Landmarks Day Tour: Grand Palace, Wat Pho, Chao Phraya River & More
- Bangkok Sky Train (BTS) One Day Pass
- Bangkok Suvarnabhumi Airport Rail Link (ARL) Ticket
- [Sale] Private Suvarnabhumi Airport Transfers (BKK) for Bangkok, Pattaya & More by Oriental Holiday
- Shared City Transfers between Bangkok and Pattaya by Oriental Holiday
- Private City Transfers between Bangkok and Pattaya, Ayutthaya, Hua Hin & More
- Shared City Transfers between Bangkok and Pattaya by Oriental Holiday
- Private City Transfers from Pattaya to Bangkok, Hua Hin, Koh Samet & Koh Chang
- [SALE] BTS Skytrain Rabbit Card
- Chao Phraya Tourist Boat Bangkok Hop-On-Hop-Off Sightseeing Boat
- [SALE] Chao Phraya Princess Cruise
- [SALE] 4G Sim Card (Thailand Pick Up) for Thailand
- 4G SIM Card (BKK Airport Pick Up) for Thailand (Unlimited Data)
- 4G Pocket WiFi (Bangkok and Phuket Airports Pick Up) for Thailand
- 4G Portable WiFi for Thailand from Uroaming (Unlimited Data)
Are you looking for more Bangkok travel guide and top things to do in Bangkok: Tours, activities, attractions and other things? Read more: Bangkok travel blog — The fullest Bangkok travel guide blog for a budget trip to Bangkok (BKK).