Sapporo, the capital of Hokkaido Prefecture and an ordinance-designated city of Japan, is
the birthplace of Sapporo Beer – one of the oldest and most popular beer brands in the country. And Sapporo Beer Museum is the best place to get the taste of this renowned beer.
- 29+ photos revealed the beauty of Hokkaido
- Hokkaido travel blog autumn — 15 Top things to do & best places to visit in Hokkaido during autumn
- Top ski resorts in Hokkaido — Top 5 places & best ski resorts in Hokkaido
- Top museums in Tokyo — Top 10 best museums in Tokyo you must visit
- Hokkaido travel blog — The fullest guide for a budget trip to Hokkaido, Japan
Sapporo Beer has been brewed in Sapporo since 1877 and is now produced and sold around the world. Its beer is a perfect match with the local cuisine representing Hokkaido and also become one of the iconic things of Hokkaido.
The Sapporo Beer Museum – the one and the only beer museum in Japan – is a museum located in the Sapporo Garden Park in Higashi-ku, Sapporo, Hokkaido, Japan.
The building which now houses Sapporo beer Museum was designed and constructed under the direction of foreign engineers in 1890 as the factory of the Sapporo Sugar Company.
Sapporo Beer Museum is one of the precious cultural legacies of the Meiji Era, together with the old red brick Hokkaido Government Office. Sapporo Beer Museum was registered to receive the official “Hokkaido Heritage” designation in 2004.
Opened in July of 1987, Sapporo Beer Museum has been providing visitors with a varied knowledge of the history of the beer industry in Japan and the process of beer-making and the brewery but has few explanations in English.
The exhibitions welcome visitors with free admission. After the exhibitions, factory-direct beer tastings are available so feel free to sample how it tastes. This will cost you a small fee.
Next to the museum is the Sapporo Beer Garden, which consists of two restaurants: Garden
Grill restaurant and Genghis Khan Hall restaurant.
Visiting this garden, you can enjoy a relaxing meal at the Garden Grill restaurant. While the Genghis Khan Hall is an atmospheric beer hall that offers all you can drink beer and all you can eat mutton BBQ, a popular local dish named after the great Mongolian ruler (Jingisukan in Japanese). For guests with more moderate appetites, items at the Genghis Khan Hall can also be ordered from the menu individually.
The Genghis Khan Hall serve the Genghis Khan made of tender and plain fresh lamb and mutton meat and plenty of vegetables on a special metal skillet.
Sapporo Beer Museum has an interesting focus on the design of Sapporo beer bottles over
the years and of Sapporo beer posters showing some superb graphics from the 1920’s and
1930’s as well as more recent posters.
There is also a collection of historic wooden Sapporo signs from beer halls from all over Japan and an introduction to the development of the Sapporo Black Label logo.
Finally, you can enjoy Sapporo beer and buy Sapporo beer products as souvenir for your
friends and family in the beer hall after completing your tour of the museum.
Further information about Sapporo Beer Museum:
- Add: Kita 7-Jo, Higashi 9-chome, Higashi-ku, Sapporo, Hokkaidō, Japan
- Opening time: 10.30am – 6.30pm (Admission until 6.00pm). Closed Mondays (Tuesday if Monday is a public holiday) & New Year holiday period.
- Entrance fee: No
- Tel: +81 11 748 1876
- Web: https://sapporobeer.com/
- How to get: The Sapporo Beer Museum 15-minuteinute walk from Higashi-kuyakusho-mae Station on the Toho Line of the Sapporo subway two stops east of Sapporo Station. Alternatively take either the Sapporo Walk Chuo Bus #88 from the South Exit of Tokyu Department Store at Sapporo Station or Chuo Bus #188 from the North Exit of Sapporo Station. A number of buses also run to the nearby Ario shopping mall.
Some best day tours, trips, activities and transfer services, tickets in Sapporo you can refer to
- Hokkaido Day Tour from Sapporo: Asahiyama Zoo, Shirogane Blue Pond, and More
- Sapporo Highland Sightseeing Bus Tour with Meals
- Sapporo Private Day Tour with Local Licensed Guide
Are you looking for more Sapporo travel guide and top things to do in Sapporo: Tours, activities, attractions and other things? Read more: Sapporo travel blog — The fullest Sapporo city guide for a great trip on a budget for the first-timers.