Penang is one of the most popular tourist destinations in the world. Located on the Straits of Malacca, Penang is the only island city of Malaysia. Penang not only has stunning scenery, attractive tourist attractions, undeniably good food,… but Penang also attracted tourists by rich culture, unique traditional customs. You needn’t to spend too much money for a trip to Penang Island, the island has beautiful scenery, and brings in the special features of traditional local culture. Let’s discover some best tips (Penang travel tips) for traveling and dining in Penang Island, Malaysia below.
- Exploring Penang – Things to do & what to see in The Pearl of the Orient of Malaysia
- Penang Malaysia things to do — 9 awesome things to do in Penang from cooking curries to zip-lining
- Penang food blog — 10 best street food in Penang & best places to find them
- Penang itinerary — How to spend 3 days in Penang?
- Best areas to stay in Penang — Top 5 best places to stay in Penang for the first-timers
How to getting around Penang?
From Hanoi, travelers must transit in Kuala Lumpur before arriving at Penang Airport. From Saigon, there is a direct flight to Penang, the round-trip fare is about 66 dollars. From the airport, there are many ways to travel to the city, the most saving tip is still the bus with the highest price RM 2.7 (equivalent to 1 dollar): 401, 401E and AT car straight to George town, the last station is bus station which closes to the Jettie beach. The car 101 runs through Batu Ferringhi beach. The car 204 takes you to Penang hill. The car 203 will get to the temple Kek Lok Si.
You should rent a bike (around RM10 / day equivalent to 2 dollars/day) to travel around George Town. If you go further, use the taxi, bus or Grab, Uber is also convenient. Also, with a Vietnamese motorbike license, you can rent a motorbike here for RM25 / day (about 5.5 dollars/ day). However, you must deposit a minimum of 100 RM (approximately 22 dollars).
Especially, George Town has a C.A.T. bus – Central Area Transit (transit service in the city center), stops most of George Town’s famous tourist attractions, free of charge for travelers. The car is air-conditioned, cool, clean and comfortable. The front of the car and behind it is electronic panels which are easy to distinguish.
Where to stay in Penang?
Hotels in Penang are quite cheap. Only about 15 dollars/ night, you will be able to rent a neat and clean room in the center of George Town. You should choose a convenient location like Lebuh Chulia Street, many eateries and coffee shops are close to the attractions. Most hotels offer car rentals and some daily tours if having require.
Where to visit in Penang?
The capital of Penang – George Town
The capital of Penang – George Town, it was recognized by UNESCO as a World Heritage Site, is an ideal place to visit you can’t miss. The clean Ancient Town with many lovely souvenirs or old style cafes keeps the visitor’s foot.
Peranakan the Green Mansion
Coming to visit Peranakan The Green Mansion (29, Church street) is a TripAdvisor page that evaluates the standing of 1/134 things to do when traveling to Penang.The ticket price RM20 / person (about 5 dollars/person) with English, Chinese guides. Free for children under 6 years old.
Cheong Fatt Tze the blue mansion
Admission fee of Cheong Fatt Tze the blue mansion (14 Leith street) are cheaper, 17 RM/person (about 4 dollars/person), but the sightseeing area is limited to avoid disturbing overnight guests. In addition, if visitors want to experience the lunch, dinner in Peranakan style, you can refer to prices on the main page of the blue mansion. These two architectures show the culture of the Peranakan people in Malaysia most clearly. For those who love culture, history, this is a pretty interesting destination.
The art of street painting is a feature of George Town. These cute and lively painting walls make visitors find to this place.
What things to eat?
It is famous for its diverse street food in small markets. At night, just walk around a few streets, visitors easily catch the food stores are good and cheap, affordable with pack backing tourists.
Malaysian drive on the left side, so you should remember this in mind when renting a car; There are few taxis here, you have to ask the price before entering the car; It should be prepared sunscreen because Penang weather is very hot at noon. However, clean air, many trees should not make you uncomfortable.
Some best day tours, trips, activities and transfer services, tickets in and from Penang you can refer to
- Private Penang Airport Transfers (PEN) for Penang
- Private City Transfers for Penang and Surrounding Cities
- Shared Penang International Airport (PEN) Transfers for Georgetown or Batu Ferringhi
- Explore Georgetown
- The Habitat Penang Hill Ticket
- Klook Pass Penang
- The TOP Penang Ticket
- ESCAPE Penang Ticket
- Explore Georgetown Half Day City Tour
- Entopia by Penang Butterfly Farm Ticket
- Dark Mansion Museum Ticket
- Penang Hill and Temple Sightseeing
- Cheong Fatt Tze Mansion Tour in Penang
- Georgetown Penang Private Car Charter
- Boutique Aquarium Ticket at The TOP Penang
- Heritage Tour and Trishaw Ride in Penang
- Penang Hill and Temple Sightseeing
- Penang Heritage & Street Food Tour
- Georgetown Scenic Night Tour
- KL TravelPass (Metro Card) in Kuala Lumpur
- [SALE] 4G Prepaid SIM Card (MY Airports Pick Up) for Malaysia
- 4G WiFi (MY Airport Pick Up) for Malaysia
Are you looking for more top things to do in Penang: Tours, activities, attractions and other things? Read more: Penang travel blog — The fullest guide for a budget trip to Penang of Malaysia. And Penang in 1 day: Let’s check it out here.