Budapest — the capital of Hungary is now more than 1,000 years old. The city mirrored by the Danube is one of the most scenic cities in the world. It is no coincidence that people call Budapest as the “Paris of the East”, or the “Heart of Europe”. Because if you come to Budapest once, you will see the harmonious beauty between modernity blending with tradition. Especially, when the night falls, Budapest becomes the splendid city of light. The lively festivals and romantic dinners on the Danube will make you unforgettable. There are also the thermal baths which are also the pride of the locals. So, where to go in Budapest, where to see in Budapest and where to visit in Budapest? Let’s check out our suggested top 9 places to visit in Budapest including must go places in Budapest, must see places in Budapest, must visit places in Budapest as well as best places to go in Budapest and best places to visit in Budapest to find out the answer!
- Budapest tips — +17 Budapest things to know & top tips for Budapest
- What to do in Budapest — 7 fun, must & best things to do in Budapest
- Budapest travel blog — The fullest Budapest travel guide for a great trip to Budapest for the first-timers
- What to buy in Hungary? — 15+ best gifts from Hungary & souvenirs from Hungary
- Tasting Hungarian Goulash soup — The delicious traditional soup of Hungary
The blue Danube river flows through the city center of Budapest and divides the city into two parts: Buda and Pest. Buda on the left bank is built on a hill with many beautiful castles. On the right bank is the city of Pest built on a plain with medieval buildings. Buda and Pest are connected by 9 bridges across the Danube, each of which has its own beauty and serves as the lifeline between these two parts of the city.
Budapest is considered one of the most beautiful capitals in the world with quaint, splendid and magnificent architecture of impressive castles, fortresses, historic bridges spanning the Danube. Budapest is also a city that owns many UNESCO World Heritage Sites: The view of the Danube River, Andrássy Avenue — the place often chosen by Hollywood filmmakers to film the first scenes of Europe…
Best places to visit in Budapest: Visit the ancient Vajdahunyad Castle (Remember to visit its museum)
Address: Budapest, Vajdahunyad stny., 1146 Hungary
This ancient castle and its surrounding areas can be considered a small park: Including gardens, structures, lakes and museum. I am in love with this large and extremely interesting castle along with its museum of history, which holds a lot of historical artifacts from the past.
After satisfied of visiting the museum, when you go out, you can climb up the tower to look down at the gothic church and monastery right next to it. From up there you can see the castle’s medieval entrance! Then take advantage of a small picnic next to the lake. It’s so comfortable! In the summer, you can also rent a pedal boat on the lake around the castle.
Best places to go in Budapest: Visit the splendid Hungarian Parliament Building
Address: Budapest, Kossuth Lajos tér 1-3, 1055 Hungary
Height: 96 m
This can be considered as one of the Europe’s most beautiful parliament buildings. For me, it is also one of the most impressive architectural buildings I have ever had the opportunity to visit. The building is designed in the neo-Gothic style, but the central dome of the building is designed in the Neo-Renaissance style. Just visit the large and monumental square outside, I was also so excited and satisfied!
I strongly recommend you to visit inside. The architecture and interior of the splendid, majestic, magnificent parliament building is not inferior to any famous castle in Europe. Until this day, a part of the parliament building is still the official workplace of Hungarian politicians. Only one part is open to visitors and a museum. If you buy a ticket, you can be arranged a tour. Tours are available in many languages, very convenient, cheap, and very educational. Parliament House is open all week, winter from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Summer from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Only take photos of the main hall, not the hall with the Hungarian royal crown. So, when you come in, just take a look carefully.
- Because of have to follow the tour, each tour has a limited number of visitors, you should go early. Most of the people who go to the place to buy tickets will be arranged a tour later. But in the summer when it is crowded, you maybe have to wait after several tours.
- You can book tours in advance on this page. This site includes events, concerts, and more in Budapest.
- For more information about the parliament building, visit this page.
Top 10 places to see in Budapest: Visit the majestic Buda Castle complex
Address: Budapest, Szent György tér 2, 1014 Hungary
Built: 14th–20th century
Designated as world heritage site: 1987 (11th session)
It can be said that Budapest is a city of giant architectural works. Not only the majestic parliament building, but also the Buda castle is equally majestic. This castle complex, just visiting the outside is already take half a day! Standing proudly on Buda Hill, this castle also houses an art museum. And Hungarian art is beyond discussion! Must enter immediately to admire.
(However, if you are not a person who is particularly interested in “hunting” museums, you do not need to go inside the castle to see. Because Budapest also has a national museum which is much more attractive).
At the castle grounds, you can look down on the romantic Danube river and the epic parliament building!
Best places to visit in Budapest: Catch the sunset over the Danube when visiting Fisherman’s Bastion complex and Matthias Church
Address: Budapest, Szentháromság tér, 1014 Hungary
Although bearing Gothic Revival, Romanesque Revival, Neoclassical architectural styles, the Fisherman’s Bastion was actually built between 1895 and 1902, to celebrate the 1000th anniversary of the Hungarian state. Fisherman’s Bastion has the best view of the Danube and the parliament building. Watching the sunset here is really nothing more wonderful.
Inside the Fisherman’s Bastion complex, there is a bronze statue of King Stephen – the first Hungarian King. Also on the same grounds is the towering Matthias church in neo-Gothic style. To read more about the history of Fisherman’s Bastion, visit this page.
Notes: Basically, most Fisherman’s Bastion is free to enter. Just walk in from the Matthias church grounds. Especially from October to March is completely free. Only during the tourist season, some places collect admission tickets, few donations mainly for maintenance only. If have, It’s also very cheap admission, just two or three euros.
Where to go in Budapest and must visit places in Budapest: Visiting St. Stephen’s Basilica, which is not inferior to the Vatican
Address: Budapest, Szent István tér 1, 1051 Hungary
Architectural style: Neoclassical architecture
Height: 96 m
This church is one of the most splendid churches in Europe. And I, even when I have had the opportunity to visit many churches, I was still overwhelmed when I came here. The exterior is overwhelmingly large, the interior is really as grand, magnificent, majestic as the Vatican’s St. Peter’s Basilica.
After visiting the church, don’t forget to climb the tower to have a panoramic view of the city!
Best places to visit in Budapest: Hungarian National Museum
Address: Budapest, Múzeum krt. 14-16, 1088 Hungary
Hours: 10AM–6PM/Monday: Closed
This museum is so magnificent and classy. Although honestly, most of fine arts museums in Europe, such as the Austrian National Museum, the Bordeaux fine arts museum, the Louvre, etc. are somewhat too perfect, Academic style. But visiting them, you see how luxurious European culture used to be. If you have time, you should also give it a try.
Top 10 places to see in Budapest: Go up the hill of Gellert to visit Citadella for a top-notch city view
The Citadella was a military stronghold of Budapest that was ordered by an Austrian general to be built after the Hungarian Revolution in 1956. Citadella is located on Gellert Hill.
Because Citadella is located on a very high hill, the climb is must. There are not many public transport to bring guests up to the place. So, you have a few options:
- Hop-on, Hop-off bus: I don’t recommend this. Because Hop-on-Hop-off tickets are usually quite expensive, can only be bought for a few days, only run for a fixed time frame (ie around 5am, 6pm is a break) while the route is usually found quite similar to public buses. However, there are two advantages (insignificant): First, they will take you to Citadella; Second, if you choose the right brand to buy, you can get a big discount when booking a dinner cruise (dinner on a boat on the Danube). To know more about the cruise lines and Hop-on Hop-off connected with them, visit the following article.
- The second option is to take bus #27 to Búsulo Juhász restaurant. From this restaurant, walk up about half a kilometer to the first observation balcony of Citadella. This is the cheapest way.
- Finally, take a taxi. There is a taxify app (similar Uber). Or call City taxi or Fo taxi to avoid being “overcharge”.
Where to go in Budapest? Must go places in Budapest: Dohány Synagogue
Address: Budapest, Dohány u. 2, 1074 Hungary
Hours: 10AM–4PM/Saturday: Closed
Architectural style: Moorish Revival architecture
This church is not necessarily a must visit if you are not a very religious person. The interior is also beautiful. But the entrance fee is quite expensive compared to the general cost of sightseeing in Budapest. If you are really curious, you can visit. Otherwise, I advise you should also not visit.
In short, these are the main attractions as well as best places to go in Budapest, best places to visit in Budapest, top 10 places to see in Budapest that I think you should take a look at. For the rest, stay tuned for the next post to check out the other fun activities in Budapest!
Some best day tours, trips, activities and transfer services, tickets in, from and to Budapest you can refer to
- Budapest Day Tour from Vienna
- Private Budapest Liszt Ferenc International Airport (BUD) Transfers for Budapest
- Budapest City Card
- Budapest Hop-On Hop-Off City Sightseeing Bus Tour
- Széchenyi Spa Fast Track Ticket
- Dinner and Cruise with Live Music on Danube River in Budapest
- Budapest Walking Tour and Danube River Night Cruise
- Lunch and Cruise on Danube River in Budapest
- Danube River Cruise with Drinks in Budapest
- Morning or Afternoon Sightseeing Cruise on Danube River in Budapest
- Budapest Day Tour from Vienna
Are you looking for more top things to do in Budapest: Tours, activities, attractions and other things? Let’s check it out here. And Hungary guide here.