The first thing to keep in your mind: Traveling to Taipei definitely have to try Dimsum at Din Tai Fung. Are you looking for Original Din Tai Fung (Din Tai Fung Taipei Original, Original Din Tai Fung Taipei, Original Din Tai Fung in Taipei)? Let’s come Taipei to explore the original dim sum of Din Tai Fung to taste the best dim sum in the world. Now, let’s check it out our review below.
- Best dessert in Taipei — Top 5 sweet cafes & best dessert restaurant in Taipei
- Must eat food in Taipei — Top 24 best street food in Taipei & best places to eat them
- Taiwan food blog: Taiwan must eat — Top 9 best foods you have to try in Taiwan
- Taipei cafe — 5 most famous & best cafes in Taipei you must visit
- Best cafe in Taipei — 7 most beautiful themed cafes in Taipei you must-visit
The second thing, actually when traveling to Hong Kong, Singapore, Australia, America or Malaysia, Philippines … you can also try Din Tai Fung because this is the restaurant chain, but its father is located in Taipei, Taiwan. So eating in Taipei is still cooler. In addition, in each country will be added a few dishes are localized to the people’s taste, so you try at any place where will also have their own fun.
The history of Din Tai Fung Taipei Original
The history of this restaurant is quite lengthy. There are so many articles written that Din Tai Fung is the Dimsum Art Top, one of the top 10 restaurants in the world voted by New York Magazine … but few people know the origin of this famous restaurant is a cooking oil store. The owner of this cooking oil store, Yang Bingyi, a worker at Heng Tai Fung oil refinery in Taiwan, after 10 years the oil company went bankrupt. In 1958, Yang and his wife opened their own cooking oil store Din Tai Fung (less related). By 1980, it was almost closed this separate oil store because of the declining business status. In order to survive, his wife decided to make a “Xiao Long Bao” dish for sale. As expected, this Xiao Long Bao was so attractive, so that one day he and his wife decided to close the cooking oil store to focus on selling Xiao Long Bao and opened the first restaurant Din Tai Fung in the street Xinyi. Also, it is the Dongmen MRT area right now.
Almost 40 years later, Din Tai Fung became Taiwan’s most successful Dimsum restaurant chain with hundreds of branches around the world, but the most famous is Ms. Yang’s “Xiao Long Bao”.
These theories are enough to come here. If you come to Taipei, there are many branches to choose, but the easiest thing to do is Din Tai Fung at the Taipei 101 building. You can also go to the first restaurant in Dongmen MRT, Exit 5, or you can go to Din Tai Fung branch of Shinkong Mitsukoshi building right at MRT Zhongshan.
The general feature of Din Tai Fung’s restaurants is always busy and expensive: nice staffs and always enthusiastic, besides you will always have to get a number and queue so if you see this scene do not panic Go ahead and get around a bit, not too long, because they work very professionally and do a good job. In the meantime, they will also give you a menu to choose from. Note that the dim sum at Din Tai Fung is Taiwanese, which is different from the dimsum people who usually eat Chinese in Big Market, Hong Kong- Guǎngdōng style, so there will be no such things as chicken legs or fried crispy tofu.
Once entering inside, the first impression will be a bit too noisy for too many people, but the tables are prepared in advance, courtesy and always served hot tea, sweet flavor. At the edge of the table, you will have a basket of silk to carry your bag or coat so that it does not taint the food, something like this.
Finally, you can begin to order.
Xiaolongbao (Xiao Long Bao)
It must be called Xiaolongbao. When talking about Xiaolongbao, there are quite a lot of options to choose from such as pork, minced vegetables, crab, shrimp … but most pork meat. A difference of Xiaolongbao in Din Tai Fung that many other stores cannot clone – the shell is super thin, just finished so fresh, gravy in the bold cake, you cannot stop biting. Prices are around 3 dollars/ 5pcs – 6.5/10pcs (the most expensive is 14 dollars / 10pcs, according to inside ingredients)
Shao Mai (Siu Mai)
Secondly, it is quite delicious that is Shao Mai. This dish at home, everyone may have eaten many but you still should try when traveling to Taipei. The Shao mai’s shell is slightly thicker than yesterday, and the shrimp and shrimp inside ingredient are mixed is very good, looking cute because the white shrimp body is pink. The price of shaomai is also equivalent Xiaolongbao, about 4 dollars / 5pcs – 8 dollars/10pcs.
House Special Spicy shrimp and pork Wonton
The third dish worth a try is House Special Spicy shrimp and pork Wonton, this dish is strange, compared to the Vietnamese are slightly taste, so when eating may have to add more soy sauce , and not really as hot as the name, which is slight oil so it will be easy. Price is soft, about 5.5 dollars /8 pcs.
In addition, beef noodles here are also quite delicious. Noodles are very fresh, soft but not tasteless so some people will feel a bit bland. But, the beef is very soft, the juice is very sweet, the sweet from the bone.
Steamed chicken soup
Another dish that is also good in Din Tai Fung is steamed chicken soup. This dish when served with a little disappointed because the look is normal, but when eating this food is so good because each soup is a whole steamed chicken leg, continue to stew in water according to some mysterious formula that when eating, you can feel the sweet taste, warm stomach.
In addition, there are many other dishes in the menu such as appetizers vermicelli (this dish is delicious), fried rice, fried or boiled vegetables, sweet cakes, dumplings (dumpling is normal, there is nothing special and often sweet as beans, taro ..), sweet soup… If you can, the whole family can also enjoy. If you eat with 3 people, to eat full, each doctor about 400NT is ok, eat as much as possible.
In general, honestly, Din Tai Fung is cool but not too divine as too many people praise whether the two branches in Hong Kong have been the two stars Michellin. So delicious, but very special and very professional, very clean and very interesting because all restaurants have a glass room to be able to observe the processing of the chef. It is still a must try the place, must check in Taipei. Although a little expensive, eat once said it does not cost anything.
Address of the three stores mentioned above:
1. B1 floor of 101 building.
2. MRT Dongmen Exit 5
3. Floor B2 Shinkong Mitsukoshi opposite Zhongshan MRT Exit 1
And there are many other shops like City Hall, MRT Banqiao station, …
Some best day tours, trips, activities and transfer services, tickets in, to and from Taipei you can refer to
- Taoyuan Airport Private Transfers (TPE) for Taipei
- Sedan Taoyuan Airport Transfers (TPE) for Taipei
- [SALE] Taoyuan Airport MRT Ticket & Exclusive Shopping Coupon
- Luxury Taoyuan Airport Transfers (TPE) for Taipei
- Explore Taipei City
- Taipei Free Walking Tour Historic Route
- Taipei Double Decker Bus Tour
- Taipei Popular Sightseeing Private Car Charter : Jiufen, Pingxi, and North Coast (Chinese/English/Korean)
- Northeast Coast Scenic Day Tour
- Jiufen Shuttle Bus from Ximen
- Yehliu, Shifen, and Jiufen Day Tour with Korean and English Speaking Guides
- [10% Off + 1 Extra Free Day] 4G SIM Card (TW Airport Pick Up) for Taiwan from Chunghwa Telecom
- 4G SIM Card (TPE Airport Pick Up) for Taiwan from Far EasTone Telecom
- 4G WiFi (TW Airport Pick Up) for Taiwan
- 4G Portable WiFi for Taiwan from Uroaming (Unlimited Data)
- 4G Portable WiFi for Taiwan from WiFiBB (Unlimited Data)
- 4G LTE WiFi (TW Airport Pick Up) for Japan
- [Sale – Taiwan Food Promo] Taiwan High Speed Rail (THSR) Discounted Ticket from Taipei
- Taiwan High Speed Rail (THSR) Consecutive Unlimited Pass (2 or 3 Days)
- Taiwan High Speed Rail (THSR) Discounted Ticket from Taoyuan
- THSR Exclusive Discount One Way Ticket from Taoyuan (Two Tickets for the Price of One)
Are you finding more top things to do in Taipei: Tours, activities, attractions and other things? Read more: Taipei travel blog — The fullest Taipei city guide for a wonderful trip to Taipei for the first-timers.