Most of the tourists come to visit Vang Vieng in Laos have the same reason: Tubing. A few years ago, a lot of young tourists came to this fascinating place to drop themselves in a tube (tire) and drift along the Nam Song River. Now, let’s come and experience Tubing game in Vang Vieng with our guide Vang Vieng river tubing (Vang Vieng Tubing) — The fullest guide for tubing on Nam Song river in Vang Vieng, Laos below.
- Vang Vieng travel blog — Care-free like Tarzan in Vang Vieng, Laos
- Top restaurants in Luang Prabang — Top 5 most famous & best restaurants in Luang Prabang, Laos
- Best Zipline Chiang Mai — Swinging and exploring the tree tops in Chiang Mai
- Extreme activities Singapore — Top 10 best out door adventure activities in Singapore
- Top ski resorts in Hokkaido — Top 5 places & best ski resorts in Hokkaido
Vang Vieng river tubing is fun, you can play this game with friends, just drink beer and enjoy the beautiful scenery around there. However, partying all night on the river is no longer allowed since 2012.
A brief history of Vang Vieng river tubing
In addition to literal meaning, Tubing is also used to refer to the backpacking tourism of the Nam Song River, which has been filled with illegal bars selling illegal drugs and alcohol.
In the heyday, each day Nam Song contains more than 400 guests who drop themselves on the river with a tube, swing on swings, play a slide or try out the strong feeling with a zip line.
But stimulants are always hidden in the accident, and it happens very often, year after year, in 2011 there were 27 deaths. By 2012, the accident of a young tourist when playing Tubing attracted media attention, prompting the Lao government to intercede and compel to close all the illegal shops along the river.
After that, Vang Vieng has transformed itself into a beautiful town, where you can enjoy many activities such as mountain climbing, kayaking on the river, exploring caves and blue water lakes.
At the same time, the bars on the shore of the river have been re-activated, and Tubing also began to come back. However, only two bars are open daily. Tubing in Vang Vieng is something you can not think that it has appeared in a small and quiet country like Laos.
Vang Vieng river tubing tips: Some things to know when playing Tubing
Most of the people start playing Tubing at 1 pm. Before renting a tube at an office in the town, the first thing you need to do is sign a commitment to risk, and the rental company will not be responsible for any relation. In addition, they will mark your hands with a number by a pen, if something bad happens, at least people know who you are.
You pay 55,000 KIP (about 6.5 dollars) for the rental of the tube and 60,000 KIP (about 7 dollars) for deposit. You should not carry too many things. A little money, a camera against water, alertness, and a cheerful status. The rest of the trip either you are just wet or will be lost.
From the town, you will be taken upstream four kilometers by tuk-tuk car. Then from the starting point, you drift gently in your tube to the number 1 bar. When you hear the loud music and you realize the distance is not far away, only take a few minutes to arrive there.
Now you can leave the tube and start drinking whatever you like. It may be easy to leave your tube on the flowing river, but doing that is not easy. Do not worry, the group play at the river bar will use the rope to pull you in.
Once you have “settled” in the first bar, there will be plenty of interesting things to do and follow. In addition to witnessing the beer and crate which is thrown on the floor, there are many other fun things. Depending on which bar is open the day you arrive and you can play volleyball, swing the waterfall, dance, play in the rain and of course indispensable beer.
Each bar will have a variety of drink games, such as the famous Sakura bar, you will see the sentences “drink triple, see double, act sing” on their shirt. They drunk and are not aware of their actions) easily caught in your eyes.
After a few hours, everyone comes back to their tube to float to the second bar, about 100m from there. Still, the familiar scene on the two sides of the river is repeated again. From the second bar, there are still two hours left floating to the endpoint.
You must bring the tube to return before 5 pm or else, they will keep your 20,000 KIP (about 2 dollars) deposit. If you bring the tube after 8 pm, you will lose all your deposit. So make sure you leave the bar on time if you want a full refund.
When you participate in drinking games, you will find it hard to get to the end of the day. Most people usually leave a deposit. But, that’s a great experience, and you will get a priceless smile.
The opportunity to enjoy the beautiful green mountains, limestone mountains and wonderful sunset from a tube on the river will bring you many unforgettable memories. So before coming to Vieng Vang, please prepare yourself a free mood as possible to enjoy the beautiful scenery on this tube.
Best Vang Vieng river tubing operators
Yellow Tubing Operators
- Tube rental and deposit (Vang Vieng Tubing Price): Tubing operators running the original northern route (now called the yellow route) rent tractor inner tubes for 55,000 kip with a deposit of 60,000 kip (~$7.2). Return the tube by 8pm or you lose your deposit.
- Tuk Tuk Up-charge: The rental price includes the tuk tuk ride to the start of the tubing point if there are at least four people. A tuk-tuk to the start of your riverine adventure costs +5,000 kip each if only 3 people, +10,000 kip each if only 2 people, +20,000 kip if only 1 person.
- Hours: 9am-8pm
Red Tubing Operators
- Vang Vieng Tubing Price: The new red tubing route is billed as a safer, more family-friendly option than the yellow route (though there are still a few bars). A tuk-tuk drops you 4km south of town for a 4km float through a slightly less scenic (though infinitely more serene) stretch of the Nam Song. Tube rental costs 55,000K and there is no deposit necessary.
- Tuk Tuk Up-charge: A tuk-tuk to the starting point costs 10,000K per person for two people.
- Phone: 020-99223339
- Hours: 9am-7pm
Are you looking for more top things to do in Vang Vieng and Laos: Tours, activities, attractions and other things? Let’s check it out at here.