If you use the subway to move to big cities such as Seoul, Busan, etc., T-money is a convenient card for those who have a self-sufficient trip to Korea. However, for those who want to explore more cities, moving to various places in Korea, Korail Pass (Korean Rail Pass, KRPass) is another magic card. So, what is Korail Pass, how to purchase Korail Pass (how to buy Korail Pass and how to buy Korail Pass), types of Korail Pass, prices and how to use Korail Pass for KTX, ITX and Airport Express? Let’s read our Korail Pass review for detail guides below.
- How to get to Nami island from Seoul? — How to go & how to travel to Nami island from Myeongdong?
- How to get around Seoul — 5 cheapest, easiest & best way to get around Seoul & from Seoul
- Korea Railplus Card — Everything you need to know about Railplus Korail card
- Seoul itinerary 6 days — How to spend 6 days in Seoul on a budget perfectly?
- Explore Ikseon Dong Seoul — Visit Ikseon Dong Hanok Village & Top 9 things to do in ikseon dong
What is Korail Pass?
Korail Pass is a card used to use the railway system of Korea, especially for foreigners traveling to Korea and have a stay in Korea less than 6 months. Like the JR Pass of Japan or Eurail Pass of Europe, Korail Pass allows you to take the unlimited number of Han railway routes for the duration of your pass, which is extremely convenient and economical with each purchase.
• KTX for Seoul – Busan route: 52 dollars/route -> 104 dollars / 2 routes
• Korail Pass for flexible 2-days: 95 dollars / 2 days / unlimited number of moving time.
• Korail Pass for flexible 2-days which are purchased at KKday: 92 dollars / 2 days / unlimited number of moving time.
In addition to buying Korail Pass, you also get a lot of other goodwills such as 10% off the entrance fee of Lotte World theme park, discount roaming mobile from 1 dollar to 2 dollars per day (in Seoul), discount the fare of Busan Aquarium (in Busan), etc.
What types of trains can tourists use for Korail Pass?
The Korail Pass uses KTX-Sancheon, ITX-Samaeul, ITX-CheongChun, Samaeul, Mugunghwa, Nuriro, O-train, V-Train, S-train and DMZ-train), A-train, Westgold-train
Note: Excluded SRT, subway, temporary train.
KTX (Korea Train eXpress)
Korail Pass Price and type of Korail Pass Cards
Depending on purpose and age you can refer to the price and the Korail Pass below to maximize the value of this card. This is the ticket price on Korail’s official website.
Two main types of Korail Pass Cards
Depending on the number of valid days of the Korail Pass you purchase (2 days or 4 days), but within 10 days, you will be chosen 2 or 4 days (not continuous) to use Korail Pass to travel mentioned above unlimited routes.
For example: You use Korail Pass in lively 2 days to go to Seoul – Busan from October 20 to October 30. You can choose to use the Korail Pass on October 20 for Seoul route to Busan by KTX and use the Korail Pass on October 30 for the route from Busan to Seoul. Every day you choose to use the card, you will be able to travel an unlimited number of routes on the train, and use any type of train on the above-mentioned trains
This card should be used in the number of days already booked, from the date of use.
For example: If you use a 3-days Korail Pass from Seoul to Busan on October 20, within 3 consecutive days: 20, 21, 22 you will be able to go the train as above for free with unlimited of route number.
• All Korail Pass cards will be counted by DAY instead of HOUR
• Children between 4 and 12 years old are entitled to purchase children’s tickets.
• Normal Korail Pass: Child and Adult.
• Saver Korail Pass Card: For groups of 2 to 5 people (each person must buy one card)
• Youth Korail Pass: For ages 13 to 25 or international student ID card (ISIC)
• Free admission for children under 4 years old when accompanied by a person with an ordinary adult ticket
How to buy Korail Pass and where to buy Korail Pass?
Buy at Korail’s website
You can refer this page: https://www.letskorail.com/ebizbf/EbizbfForeign_pr16100.do to book a Korail Pass card. For booking a card at the Korail website, need to use a Credit Card, and bring voucher to exchange ticket at Korail ticket counter, you need to show credit card that you have booked + passport to confirm your information.
Note: You will not be able to use the Korail Pass on holidays during the year in Korea such as (Lunar New Year, Mid-Autumn Festival, New Year’s Day, Thanksgiving or summer vacation, etc.). Tickets are only available for common seats.
The fastest and most convenient way is to book Korail Pass via services like Klook, I find it very fast and efficient. Link to book here.
How to get Korail Pass and buy KTX, ITX and Airport Express?
Get Korail Pass Card at Incheon Airport
In Incheon, there are 3 points you can get:
Located in the lobby between gate number 8 and 9. Opening hours: 7 am – 9 pm
Located on the B1 floor. Opening hours: 6 am – 8:30 pm
Also located on the B1 floor. Opening hours: 7 am – 9 pm. Encourage you to come to this place for getting a Korail Pass card because this counter will not be crowded with the 2 seats above.
Get Korail Pass Card at Seoul Station
Or if you prefer, you can go to Seoul Station to get, the card counter is easy to find because it is located in the middle of the station.
When you get your card, you need to print an e-voucher, your passport and credit card used for payment.
Unlike the T-Money card, you only need to get the card and use it everywhere, Korail Pass card used to buy train tickets, not directly at the station.
After buying a card, you will receive a paper ticket with full details of departure time, arrival time, destination, train number, train station as well as a number of seats. If you are not familiar with the Korail Pass, you can ask a guide at the information desk at the station or ask the local people who travel around. In general, you should be “careful and agile” is best.
You can refer to the SCHEDULE to prepare your travel schedule more carefully.
Map of KTX trains
In the Korail Pass category, KTX is most commonly used with many routes passing through many provinces and cities and interesting tourist destinations. KTX includes 4 main routes with maps from Korean’s Korail information page for your reference:
Gyeongbu route: Incheon Airport – Seoul – Busan
Homan route: Incheon Airport – Seoul – Mokpo
Gyeongjeon Airport: Incheon Airport – Seoul – Jinju
Jeolla Airport: Incheon Airport – Seoul – Jeonju – YeosuExpo
Some best day tours, trips, activities and transfer services, tickets in and from Seoul you can refer to
- Private Incheon International Airport Transfers (ICN) for Seoul
- Private Incheon Airport Transfers (ICN) for Seoul
- Incheon International Airport (ICN) Limousine Bus Transfers for Seoul (Gangnam District)
- Klook Exclusive Seoul 5 Day Pass
- Discover Seoul Pass (BTS Edition Available)
- [SALE] Instant Ticket! Korea Rail Pass (KR PASS) 2/3/4/5 Days to travel around the cities in Korea
- Private Incheon Airport (ICN) and Gimpo Airport (GMP) Transfers for Seoul by S.A Tour
- Everland Private Car Charter with Admission Ticket by Wondertrip
- KAL Limousine Bus Ticket for Seoul
- [Limited Offer] AREX Incheon Airport Express Train One Way Ticket in Seoul
- Bukchon Oneday Hanbok Rental Experience (4/24 Hrs)
- Nami Island, Petite France, Garden of Morning Calm, and Gangchon Rail Bike Day Tour from Seoul
- Seoul City Sightseeing Bus (Downtown Palace Namsan Course/Seoul Panorama Course)
- [Limited Offer] Incheon International Airport (ICN) Luggage Services (Between Airport and Hotel) by Safex
- 4G Prepaid SIM Card (SK Airports Pick Up) for South Korea
- [Sale] Hanbok Experience (Hanboknam Gyeongbokgung Store) with Korean Hairstyling
- [SALE] South Korea 4G Pocket WiFi (KR Airports Pick Up) from KT Olleh
- 4G WiFi (MY Airport Pick Up) for South Korea (Unlimited Data)
- 4G Portable WiFi for South Korea from Uroaming (Unlimited Data)
Are you looking for more top things to do in Seoul: Tours, activities, attractions and other things? Let’s check it out at here.