For travelers, visiting floating markets in Mekong Delta not only to see, to behold, but to feel the peaceful atmosphere of the countryside. Here are the 5 floating markets in Mekong Delta you should not miss in your trip to Vietnam.
1. Cai Be floating market, Tien Giang Province
Cai Be is one of many famous floating markets in the western region of the south of Vietnam. Located in Cai Be district, Tien Giang Province, Cai Be floating market is on Tan Phong islet, on the large Tien River border the three provinces of Tien Giang, Vinh Long and Ben Tre.
The market is the trading and exchange place of goods, as hubs for the fruit to get throughout all regions and is also one of the fascinating destinations of Tien Giang Province.
Unlike the normal floating markets that only open in the morning, Cai Be floating market starts trading since dawn until late at night. At dawn, the floating market is active with many people as lively as a small city on the river. From 3 AM in the early morning, Cai Be is crowded with all kinds of rafts and boats as it is considered as the biggest wholesale markets in Mekong Delta region.
The hawkers sell peddled wares like pho, noodles, rice noodles, grocery …on the boats that flow across each other, make a colorful picture on the river. Sitting on a floating boat, tasting a bowl of noodles or sipping a cup of fragrant coffee in the morning is an amazing experience that can’t be found anywhere else.
- How to get: You take the National Highway 1A, getting through Cai Lay to get to Cai Be town, and hire a boat or take a ferry to visit Cai Be floating market.
- Address: Cai Be Town, Cai Be District, Tien Giang Province.
- Opening hours: 3:00AM – 8:00 PM
2. Nga Nam floating market, Soc Trang
Nga Nam floating market is located in the town of Nga Nam, Thanh Tri district, Soc Trang province.
The highlight of this market is that it is located right at the intersection of five rivers that lead to five different directions: from Ca Mau, Vinh Quoi, Long My, Thanh Tri, Phung Hiep. This is one of the oldest and busiest markets in the Mekong Delta.
As coming here, you will have a chance to explore the local’s way of living with the bustling scene on the boats. What is more, here is a great opportunity for you to enjoy the special fruit of the Mekong Delta.
- How to get: Departing from the center of Soc Trang City about 60 km to the west.
- Address: Nga Nam Town, Thanh Tri District, Soc Trang Province.
- Opening hours: 3:00AM – 8:00AM
3. Cai Rang Floating Market, Can Tho Province
When mentioning Can Tho, people usually think of Cai Rang floating market. The market specializes in selling and trading fruits, agricultural products of the river region.
Every morning, hundreds of boats from big to small ones park in close proximity, and goods are hung on the boat that are available for trading, not similar with the mainland market.
Coming to market in the morning, aside from buying the specialties here, you can also have breakfast to experience the interesting life on a boat.
Cai Rang floating market starts from 3am to 9am, dedicates to goods mainly agricultural products, all kinds of fruits, commodities, foods … This is a unique culture at Delta Mekong countries that attracts many tourists, domestic and foreign ones.
- How to get: Cai Rang Floating Market is away from the center of Can Tho City 6 km and it takes about 30 minutes from Ninh Kieu.
- Address: Cai Rang River, Cai Rang District, Can Tho Province.
- Opening hours: 3:00AM – 9:00AM
- See more about Cai Rang Floating Market at here.
4. Nga Bay Floating Market, Hau Giang Province
Also known as Phung Hiep floating market, Nga Bay Floating Market is a floating market of Nga Bay town, formed since 1915.
This is a famous floating market of Hau Giang Province, home to the purchase and commodity sale and exchange of the people living on the Mekong delta. It is not only a place for goods trade and exchange but also is a tourist attraction.
You will get a chance to behold the colorful ribbon of fruits, vegetables, domestic appliances on the river region. Especially, the bright red of rambutan, mangosteen, aroma of durian promise give you the truly sense of tradition and culture of the life on the Mekong Delta.
What makes this floating market different with other floating market is that this market offers specialties including snakes. Phung Hiep Floating Market offers you a chance to taste specialties like snakes, turtles, birds, squirrels, lizards …all year round. Plus, the typical dishes of the cuisine of the South such as hot rolls, pho, pancakes …. are sold on the boat.
- How to get: Nga Bay floating market is away from the center of Can Tho City about 30 km.
- Address: Nga Bay town, Hau Giang Province.
- Opening hours: 5:00AM – 8:00AM
5. Long Xuyen Floating Market , An Giang Province
Long Xuyen floating market is located on Hau River, My Phuoc ward, Long Xuyen City, An Giang Province. It is the shelter of hundreds of boats moored closely on the river where local people live and trade all year round.
Goods mainly are crops such as vegetable, melon, bean, cabbage, pumpkin, potato … and the famous snack of An Giang such as fish noodles, pig skin cakes …
- How to get: Long Xuyen Floating Market stretches around 2 km along the bank of Hau River, My Phuoc District, away from the center of Long Xuyen City 2 km.
- Address: Hau River, My Phuoc ward, Long Xuyen City, An Giang Province.
- Opening hours: 5:00AM – 9:00AM