Welcome to Buenos Aires, the wine-stained capital of Argentina famous for its juicy steaks, spicy chimichurri and late-night tango trysts. Make no mistake you’ll be working up an appetite here and at the end of a big day exploring it’s important to know where to drop in for that perfect drop of Malbec. Here are five of our favourites best wine bars in Buenos Aires.
- Pattaya nightlife guide — 11+ best rooftop bars in Pattaya & best bars in Pattaya
- Best nightlife in Chiang Mai — 8+ cool & best bars in Chiang Mai
- Top bars in Siem Reap — Top 9 best bars in Siem Reap, Cambodia
- Explore Golden Gai Tokyo — The unique nightlife in Shinjuku, Tokyo
- Kowloon nightlife guide — 8 must-go & best best bars in Kowloon, Hong Kong
Written by Justin Meneguzzi
1. Bar du Marché
The French know how to make the most of things, in this case bringing an extensive cheese and charcuterie menu to the Argentine wine experience. Bar du Marche‘s wine menu is diverse too, bringing together a collection of local and international wines for guests to enjoy. If you’re feeling adventurous you can choose to drink from a small or medium decanter (the equivalent of one and a half glasses to half a bottle) while enjoying the view from a marble table on the pavement.
- Price: Mid-range
- Address: Nicaragua 5946, Palermo Hollywood, Buenos Aires, Argentina (Google Map)
- Phone: +54 11 4778-1050
- Opening hours: 9:30am – 12am
- Website: www.bardumarchepalermo.com
A relative newcomer to the scene, this contemporary bar is perfectly located in the Palermo Hollywood district and features a rotating list of 25 wines chosen by the bar’s in-house sommeliers. Guests are welcome to choose from the menu or opt for one of 12 themed flights providing the perfect introduction to Argentine wines. If you can’t stay for a tasting session, the bar also offers take-away purchases.
- Price: Mid-range
- Address: Honduras 5903, Palermo Hollywood, Buenos Aires, Argentina (Google Map)
- Opening hours: 6am – 10pm
- Phone: +54-47746727
- Facebook: facebook.com/TrovaBar
3. Gran Bar Danzón
When a bar boasts a 300-strong wine list you know they mean business. This 18-metre long bar in barrio Recoleta was one of the early wine establishments before Argentina’s wine industry saw a resurgence in the 00’s. Famed for its seductive interior of polished dark hues and intimate table settings, Gran Bar Danzon is a leader on the Buenos Aires drinking scene. Budding sommeliers can try one of Danzon’s wine-journeys, sampling glasses from Uco Valley, Salta, Mendoza and more, or choose a tipple from their list of expertly made cocktails. Go early to avoid the after-work rush.
- Price: High-end
- Address: Libertad 1161, C1012AAW CABA, Argentina. (Google Map)
- Opening hours: 7pm – 3 am
- Phone: +54 11 4811-1108
- Website: www.granbardanzon.com.ar
4. Pain et Vin
Pain et Vin is another French establishment giving the Argentines a run for their money (perhaps too many siestas). Discover freshly baked bread, high quality wine and expertly matched cheeses from husband-and-wife owners Ohan and Eleonora. This humble little bar and bakery has been repeatedly chosen to host tastings from top oenologists and product launches thanks to its sterling reputation for focusing on boutique wineries and limited production wines.
- Price: Mid-range
- Address: Gorriti 5132, Palermo Soho, Buenos Aires, Argentina (Google Map)
- Phone: +54 11 4832-5654
- Opening hours: 12pm – 10pm
- Facebook: facebook.com/Pain-et-Vin-Buenos-Aires
5. Oporto Almacén
Head upstairs to Oporto Almacén’s clean minimalist tasting rooms and you’ll be confronted by over 400 bottles of wine artfully arranged by the colour of their label. This jack-of-all-trades venue is simultaneously a bistro, wine store and deli and is famous for its traditional Argentina tapas. You can find Oporto Almacén in Nuñez , located slightly outside the typical tourist hubs, allowing you to peacefully savour wines from Viña Cobos and Cheval des Andes from their sunny urban terrace.
- Price: Budget – Mid-range
- Address: 11 de Septiembre 4152, Nuñez, Buenos Aires, Argentina (Google Map)
- Phone: +54 11 4703-5568
- Opening hours: 12pm – 12am
- Website: oportoalmacen.com.ar; facebook.com/oportoalmacen