Alishan plateau, Taiwan has long been famous to tourists for its great variety of beautiful kinds of flowers, majestic mountains, and dense forests. Let’s together with me find out the experience below which will make it more interesting and easier for you to enjoy the beauty of this charming plateau. Now, discover the beautiful land through our Alishan blog (Alishan travel blog) — The fullest Alishan travel guide for a wonderful trip to Alishan plateau, Taiwan with top things to do, best places to visit and what to do in Alishan with Living Nomads below.
- Taipei night market food — Top 18 best Taipei street food night market you should try
- Taipingshan Yilan blog — How to spend 1 perfect day in Taipingshan National Forest, Yilan?
- What to do in Taipei at night? — Top 8 best things to do in Taipei at night you definitely to try
- Explore Taipei Fish Market — Review seafood experience at Taiwan’s most famous fish market
- Best dessert in Taipei — Top 5 sweet cafes & best dessert restaurant in Taipei
Alishan blog: How to get to Alishan plateau
To arrive in Alishan, the first thing you need to do is coming to Chiayi. And to get to Chiayi, the best way is finding the way to HSR station because that’s the fastest transport to Alishan. After arriving at Chiayi HSR station, you can easily take the bus No. 7329 to Alishan (there are just 3 buses per day at 10:10, 11:40, and 13:10).
Another way to arrive in Alishan plateau is taking the train but it’ll be a bit longer than by HSR. For example, if you depart from Taipei, the HSR takes you 1 hour, the train will be 2.5 times longer than the HSR. The seats often run out very fast, so you’ll need to purchase the train ticket as soon as possible. Also, you can take the bus to Chiayi, which will take you more than 3 hours and 30 minutes, however, this way may make you feel pretty tired.
After you arrive at Chiayi Train Station, you can select from these following options to go to Alishan plateau:
From Chiayi Train Station, you can take a train to Fenqihu (and there’s only one train a day), then take a bus to Shidao and from Shidao, take another bus to Alishan. Or you can go straight to Alishan by taxi without having to wait or change the bus, but it’ll be very expensive.
Alishan blog: Top places to visit and what to do when traveling in Alishan
First, take a walk in Alishan National Scenic Area
Why? Because the forest here is extremely beautiful, more than any masterpiece of any talented painter. Especially in the early morning when this place is covered by the illusory and fanciful mist.
When coming here, you can also find many high pines, small streams flowing at the foot of the wooden bridge in the forest. And in the summer, all the trees here wear a fresh, cool green with the sunshine pouring a glittering gold tinsel on the leaves.
Trekking through the Giant Trees Trail is one of the best experience when arriving in Alishan
This is a trail surrounded by many huge trees. Taiwanese always love to come here for a trekking journey with their camping tents to stay overnight in this magnificent natural landscape. You’ll see this trail become especially magical when the fog covers all the space, at that time, it’ll look like a fairyland in the fairytale.
Visiting the Sisters Pond
This is called Sisters Pond because there are two small ponds lying next to each other in the forest, the Older-Sister Pond has a slightly bigger surface than the Younger-Sister Pond. These two ponds are famous for their emerald green water, surrounded by the big trees in the primitive dense forest. In the middle of the pond, there is also a small octagonal house.
Enjoying the fancy experience in Alishan Forest Railway
This is the only train running through the forest which has been operated since the Japanese logged in Alishan. Initially, it was used for transporting wood, and now, it’s retained for serving the tourism. This train runs straight to the best location to watch the sunrise here, the Jade Mountain. The train often departs very early in the morning, you can buy the train ticket right at the entrance of Alishan National Park.
Admiring the twilight and dawn at the top of the mountain
There’s no way you can come to Alishan without trying admiring the twilight and dawn here. Nevertheless, you should spend a night in Alishan in order to witness the wonderful dawn right in this fairyland, with the floating clouds surrounding all around the space.
Watching the traditional performances of the ethnic groups
Ethnic people living in Alishan are granted land, houses and all the conditions for working and living. They also preserve their cultural features in a cultural village with tribal architecture with a gallery displaying a lot of antiques. On some certain days of the week, there will be traditional music and dancing performances taking place here.
Visiting Fenqihu ancient village
Fenqihu ancient village is surrounded by three mountains, this location is famous for its ancient streets with fog floating everywhere, from streets, corners to even the small alleys.
This village is also famous for its famous Fenqihu lunchbox put in a round aluminum box. In this box of rice, there are rice, bamboo shoots, meat and egg cooked in a traditional way which is pretty special and of course very tasty.
From Fenqihu village, if still having time, you can also go to Hinoki Village, this is an ancient village that still preserves the ancient Japanese wooden houses built since the Japanese army occupied Taiwan.
All the experience for a trip to Alishan plateau and the most beautiful places in Alishan mentioned above will be very helpful for self-sufficient tourists. In fact, besides the destinations and experience tourists must try when coming to Alishan plateau above, there are also a lot of other extremely charming destinations that you’ll never find it time-consuming to visit them once arriving in this plateau. However, you shouldn’t forget to carefully consider your schedule to have a complete trip!
Are you looking for more Alishan travel guide and top things to do in Alishan: Tours, activities, attractions and other things? Read more: Alishan autumn — Where to go & what to do in Alishan, Taiwan in the fall?
Some best day tours, trips, activities and transfer services, tickets in, to and from Taipei you can refer to
- Taoyuan Airport Private Transfers (TPE) for Taipei
- Sedan Taoyuan Airport Transfers (TPE) for Taipei
- [SALE] Taoyuan Airport MRT Ticket & Exclusive Shopping Coupon
- Luxury Taoyuan Airport Transfers (TPE) for Taipei
- Explore Taipei City
- Taipei Free Walking Tour Historic Route
- Taipei Double Decker Bus Tour
- Taipei Popular Sightseeing Private Car Charter : Jiufen, Pingxi, and North Coast (Chinese/English/Korean)
- Northeast Coast Scenic Day Tour
- Jiufen Shuttle Bus from Ximen
- Yehliu, Shifen, and Jiufen Day Tour with Korean and English Speaking Guides
- [10% Off + 1 Extra Free Day] 4G SIM Card (TW Airport Pick Up) for Taiwan from Chunghwa Telecom
- 4G SIM Card (TPE Airport Pick Up) for Taiwan from Far EasTone Telecom
- 4G WiFi (TW Airport Pick Up) for Taiwan
- 4G Portable WiFi for Taiwan from Uroaming (Unlimited Data)
- 4G Portable WiFi for Taiwan from WiFiBB (Unlimited Data)
- 4G LTE WiFi (TW Airport Pick Up) for Japan
- [Sale – Taiwan Food Promo] Taiwan High Speed Rail (THSR) Discounted Ticket from Taipei
- Taiwan High Speed Rail (THSR) Consecutive Unlimited Pass (2 or 3 Days)
- Taiwan High Speed Rail (THSR) Discounted Ticket from Taoyuan
- THSR Exclusive Discount One Way Ticket from Taoyuan (Two Tickets for the Price of One)
Are you finding more top things to do in Taipei: Tours, activities, attractions and other things? Read more: Taipei travel blog — The fullest Taipei city guide for a wonderful trip to Taipei for the first-timers.