Genting highlands is a hill station and mountaintop city located in the Titiwangsa Mountains belongs the state of Pahang, central Peninsular Malaysia at an altitude of 1,800m. The city of Genting is compared to the Las Vegas of Malaysia. Because this is the only place in Malaysia where gambling is legal. Genting City is also known as the resort paradise of this country. There are countless resorts, high-class hotels for you to choose to stay. So, is Genting Highlands worth visiting, what to do in Genting Highlands and how to plan a perfect budget trip to Genting Malaysia for the first-time? Let’s check out our Genting Highlands travel blog (Genting Highlands blog) with the fullest Genting Highlands travel guide (Genting Highlands guide, Genting guide) from how to get to Genting Highlands, best time to come, where to stay, best places to visit, what to eat and top things to do in Genting Highlands to find out the answer!
- Guide to Malacca nightlife — 10+ where to go, top things & what to do in Melaka at night
- Top restaurants in Georgetown, Penang — 15+ good & best restaurants in George Town
- Best infinity pools in Kuala Lumpur— 10+ best Kuala Lumpur hotels with infinity pool with breathtaking views of the city
- Top islands in Malaysia — 10+ most famous, beautiful & best islands in Malaysia
- Malaysia itinerary 14 days — What to do in 14 days in Malaysia & How to spend 2 weeks in Malaysia perfectly?
Genting Highlands travel blog: Overview of Genting Malaysia
Genting Highlands is about 45 minutes away from the capital city of Kuala Lumpur. This is a city located in the Titiwangsa mountain range, at an altitude of more than 1,800 m. It is a resort city built in the model of an entertainment complex. Hidden in the clouds, Genting is a famous entertainment place of Malaysia. It is likened to the Las Vegas of this country with many casinos, amusement parks, resorts, golf courses and dining and shopping spots.
Genting Highlands is the only legal casino in Malaysia, managed by Resorts World Bhd, a subsidiary of Genting Group, and First World Hotel and Resort Sdn Bhd. With a yearly average temperature of about 25 degrees Celsius, Genting Plateau has a temperate climate. Therefore, this is a frequent weekend destination of domestic tourists and tourists from Singapore as well as around the world.
Genting Highlands blog: When is the best time to come?
The annual temperature in the Genting Highlands of Malaysia ranges from 15 – 28°C, cool all year round. The climate is similar to the general climate of Malaysia, almost every month there is rain, it is wet all year round, a few months with less rain or several months with downpours.
Due to Genting Highlands has a mild climate all year round, you can travel to Genting Malaysia at any time of the year is suitable. However, if you want to travel comfortably, avoiding the crowds, don’t go in November and December! Since this is the peak tourist season in Genting, it is often very crowded. In addition, room rates and other services prices will also be higher than usual. You can go on weekdays, except weekends. On these days, your trip will generally be more comfortable.
The best time to visit Genting Highlands is around March to September because these months often have less storms or rains than other months. This time is also the time when Genting Plateau is in the midst of welcoming the southwest monsoon. During the period from May to August, the number of tourists flocking to Genting Highlands is the most, so the price of rooms and services increases equivalently. Although this is the most beautiful tourist season in Genting Highlands, it is not without rain, it’s just that the number of rainy days this month is less.
As for the period from October to the end of February next year, the number of rainy days in Genting Highlands is quite much, so the number of tourists also decreases. Traveling to Genting Highlands at this time is much cheaper, you can monitor the weather forecast within 1-2 days before you go, if it doesn’t rain, you will definitely have a fun and cheap trip. However, if you go to on occasions of Christmas or New Year’s Eve, it is not cheap.
The temperature in Genting Highlands is usually low at night, so it’s best to bring long-sleeved clothes and a jacket when coming here.
Genting Highlands travel guide: How to get to Genting Highlands?
Currently, there is no direct flight from Vietnam to Genting Highlands. So, to getting here you have to fly from Vietnam to Kuala Lumpur, then go to Genting from here. To hunt for cheap flight tickets to Malaysia, you should book a few months in advance to get the most reasonable price. There are some good websites for you to find best airfares as well as suitable flight routes based on your departure point such as Google Flights, SkyScanner or Kayak.
The distance from Kuala Lumpur to Genting Highlands is about 60km. Here are a few ways to get from Kuala Lumpur to the Genting highlands for you refer to.
By car or taxi
You can getting to Genting Highlands by car or taxi. However, this way is quite expensive. You need to take a blue taxi from the center of the Malaysian capital. Each such trip has a price ranging from RM150 to RM230.
Alternatively, you can rent a car to go up here. However, if traveling by car, you have to pay for tolls and taxes. Car rental rates depend on the type of car, number of seats, you should do research before renting!
The most convenient and economical way to travel is by bus. This way of transportation is very suitable for those who want to travel in Genting Malaysia with a budget. There are many daily buses depart from Kuala Lumpur to Genting Highlands, these buses usually run from 7:30 a.m. to 9 p.m. Bus fares from Kuala Lumpur to Genting Highlands range from RM5 – RM13/person/way.
You can take the Go Genting Express Bus. Bus routes depart from various points in Kuala Lumpur. All rides take about 1 hour to travel and are priced around RM3.40 to RM4.60 for one way. Here are some bus stations with detailed schedules where you can go to catch a bus:
- Pudu Sentral Station (LRT Plaza Rakyat) (Address: Kuala Lumpur City Centre, 50150 Kuala Lumpur, Federal Territory of Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia): 7:30 am – 7 pm.
- Putra LRT Gombak Station (Address: Jalan Taman Melati, Taman Melati, 53100 Kuala Lumpur, Wilayah Persekutuan Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia): 8am, 10:30am, 1pm, 2pm, 5pm, 7pm.
- KL Sentral Station (LRT KL Sentral, KTM KL Sentral) which is close to the Malaysian National Museum and Perdana Botanical Garden (Address: Kuala Lumpur Sentral, 50470 Kuala Lumpur, Federal Territory of Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia): 8 am – 8 pm, hourly departures. You should go to this KL Sentral Station to catch the bus because the number of trips / day at this station is the most.
- PJ One Utama Bus Stop (Address: Bandar Utama, 47800 Petaling Jaya, Selangor, Malaysia): 8 am, 11:30 am, 1.30 pm, 7 pm.
All buses will drop off passengers at Skyway cable car base station (B4). From here, you have to take the cable car to get to Genting Highlands.
Take a cable car to reach Genting Highlands city
To reach mountainous Genting city you have to take a mountain cable car ride called Awana SkyWay. This way of transportation is very popular with tourists. Because you can sightseeing along the way and the city from above. This is also one of the interesting activities in Genting Malaysia that you should experience. It takes about 16 minutes to go from the cable car station at Awana Station (Address: Level 4, Awana SkyCentral, 69000 Genting Highlands, Pahang, Malaysia) to reach the peak.
One-way cable car fare ranging between RM9.80 and RM11. If you travel in peak season or on holidays, weekends, you should book tickets in advance to avoid queuing to buy tickets. Book tickets in advance here: Awana SkyWay Gondola: Genting Highlands Cable Car (QR Code Direct Entry).
Genting Highlands travel blog: What to do in Genting highlands & Top things to do in Genting Malaysia
Awana SkyWay cable car
Genting Highlands is already high, but you can also take the cable car to see the scenery from above. Taking this cable car route is only 10 minutes, but it is really worth the experience. You should book tickets to take the Awana SkyWay cable car in Genting Highlands HERE to avoid having to queue to buy tickets, just scan the QR code, you should buy a glass bottom cable car to see the beautiful scenery.
Chin Swee Caves Temple
Address: Exit 68, Genting Sempah, Pahang, 28750 Bentong, Malaysia
During the construction of the road leading to Genting Highlands, the late Tan Sri Lim Goh Tong discovered a cool rocky slope covered with lush tropical vegetation and dotted with streams. The location reminded him of the Chin Swee cliffs in Penglai village in Fujian, China.
In 1975, after completing construction of the first hotel and casino at Genting Highlands Resort, Genting founder Tan Sri Lim Goh Tong decided to build Chin Swee Caves Temple.
The steep and rocky terrain makes construction difficult and dangerous, and modern machinery cannot be used for basic work such as driving piles… Mainly manual labor is used and the construction process takes up to 18 years to implement and complete.
Chin Swee Temple is located in the most beautiful location of Genting Highlands. Located at an altitude of nearly 1,500m above sea level, the temple is located on a land of 28 acres, about 5-10 minutes by cable car from Genting Resort.
The temple overlooks the verdant slopes of the primeval forest with views of the winding road up to Genting Highlands, the majestic mountains…
The space inside and around the temple is quite quiet and tranquil, so visitors can feel the peace between the floating white clouds and the gentle cool breeze.
The temple was built in honor of Master Chin Swee, a Buddhist monk from Fujian province who was famous for his ability to summon rain and ward off evil spirits, where residents and tourists frequented rituals. religious ceremony and enjoy the peaceful, calm atmosphere.
In the square, just behind the Buddhist temple is a statue of the late leader Tan Sri Lim Goh Tong. This statue was erected by Chin Swee Caves Temple Building Society in appreciation of Tan Sri Lim’s leadership in the development of Genting Highlands Resort and Chin Swee Cave Temple. The statue is also an expression of gratitude for his great charitable contributions to society.
How to get to the temple?
Chin Swee Temple is located in Genting Highlands. You buy the Awana Skyway cable car ticket to go to the top of Genting, the cable car will stop at the first station for you to visit Chin Swee Temple and then re-board the cable car completely free of charge. You exit the station and go through many escalators to get down below to visit the temple.
These amusement parks is suitable for families with children. Here there are many thrilling games and rides for you to experience. There are more than 50 new types of ferris wheel, thrilling roller coaster, taking part in a journey to explore the sky with tornadoes, or riding a spaceship flying into the air and then free falling without gravity…
Address: Genting SkyWorlds, Genting Highlands, 69000 Genting Highlands, Pahang, Malaysia
Genting Outdoor Theme Park is a place for families with children. There are many play areas for children and an amusement park. Unlimited Ride Pass (valid for the day), RM50 for adults and RM35 for children under 12, Express Lane Pass tickets cost RM86 and RM56 the same.
Skytropolis Indoor Theme Park
Address: Level 1, First World Plaza Resorts World, 69000 Genting Highlands, Pahang, Malaysia
In this there are many entertainment games for you to choose from, they make the indoor park is the best because the Malaysian weather often rains. If you go out and meet it in the rain, you don’t have to worry about being bored, but go to the 1st floor of SkyAvenue Complex. You should remember to reserve tickets to play at the Skytropolis indoor theme park HERE to get a 10% discount compared to buying directly.
First World Indoor Theme Park, day tickets for adults RM30 and RM28 for children. This day pass gives you access to the Rainforest Splash pool, but not allow to access places like Ripley Museum (RM30), Snow World (RM17) and Genting Sky Venture (flying simulator – RM50).
If you do not like adventure games, you can visit the snow garden or experience the feeling of skiing. In addition, visitors can also enjoy the panoramic view of Genting from above when taking a fairy car with clowns. Besides, you can visit the miniature wonders of the world right in Genting such as Eiffel Tower, Egyptian pyramids, Statue of Liberty, Petronas Twin Towers, Big Ben clock…
Address: Survey No. 54, Lower Tank Bund Rd, Lower Tank Bund, Kavadiguda, Hyderabad, Telangana 500080, India
Located on the 2nd floor of First World Hotel & Plaza, you must bring a warm jacket to play here. Vietnam rarely has snow, so coming here feels like being in Europe.
Traveling to Genting Malaysia, you cannot ignore casinos. However, to enter these places you must be over 21 years old. The casinos open 24/7, so you can come here anytime. Some famous casinos in Genting include: Casino Monte Carlo and Hollywood Casino at Genting / Highlands Hotel or StarWorld Casino at First World Hotel.
There are certain rules when entering these places. The first is about the dress code, it is forbidden to wear t-shirts, shorts and sandals. Bags are not allowed inside, but there are lockers (RM3), there is also a deposit zone for more valuable items such as laptops, phones… Photography in the casino is strictly prohibited. You should take note of these points.
Genting Strawberry Leisure Farms
Address: No. 1, Lot 3707, Jalan Jati 2, Bandar Gohtong Jaya, 69000 Genting Highlands, Pahang, Malaysia
Hours: 9AM–6:30PM/Sunday: 9AM–7PM
This strawberry farms not only has strawberries but also has a lot of flower gardens, vegetable gardens and different super beautiful shooting angles. Ticket price for adults is RM10 and children 3-12 years old is RM7.
Genting Highlands guide: Shopping
In addition thrilling rides, fascinating theme parks, shopping is also an interesting activity and Genting also a shopping paradise and offers some shopping malls include Genting Highlands Premium Outlets; First World Plaza; Sky Avenue; Nike Factory Store, ToyCity… attract a lot of visitors.
Items here such as clothes, shoes, bags are quite discounted. Some of them are discounted up to 70 – 80%. A handbag that costs several hundreds of dollars, but at here it usually costs only few dozens of dollars.
- Genting Highlands Premium Outlets: You can visit Genting Highlands Premium Outlets for a variety of shopping options. This is the first Premium Outlet shopping mall in Southeast Asia. There are now more than 150 brands here, including Coach, Adidas, Moschino and Hugo Boss,… all open daily. There is also a food court and cafes such as Starbucks, Baskin Robbins ice cream… for you to stop and rest.
- First World Plaza: First World Plaza is the ultimate shopping destination in Malaysia. First World Plaza has more than 90 brands and attractive food outlets.
- Sky Avenue: There are more than 70 retail stores and eateries here for you to experience. You can take a tour of the retail stores on each floor. In addition, you can also enjoy the cuisine here with local dishes or many international dishes (French, Spanish, English …).
- Nike Factory Store: This is a shop in Genting Highlands that sells Nike clothing and sneakers. This store has some authentic Nike clothing and shoes at quite reasonable prices.
- Country’s Tid Bits And Candies Cottage: Country is located at Genting Skyway in Gohtong Jaya, this shop sells a variety of titbits from fruits, nuts, biscuits, candies, crackers…
- ToyCity: This is a great site with a lot of interesting unique toys for children. With a huge area, Toycity will take you at least 1 or 2 hours to visit.
Genting Highlands travel guide: What to eat?
The cuisine in Genting is quite diverse, including both local and western food. In particular, Malaysian cuisine in general and Genting in particular are heavily influenced by Chinese cuisine. Here are some dishes that you should try.
- Wanton mee: Also known as wonton noodles, is also a type of noodle of Chinese origin. Egg noodles mixed with thick soy sauce, pork fat and spicy stir-fried chili. When eating, eat with vegetables and wonton.
- Penang assam laksa noodles: This dish is quite popular not only in Malaysia. The dish consists of mackerel, sour tamarind and vegetables of Penang noodles with special fish broth.
- Ice Kacang sweets: Kacang shaped-ice blends the flavors of red beans, jelly, corn and fruit syrup. Sugar syrup and milk or coconut milk are poured on top to create a moderate sweetness.
- Char Kuey Teow (Malaysian stir-fried noodles): The preparation of this noodle dish is nothing special, only made from fried rice noodles, soy sauce, fresh shrimp, clams, eggs, soybeans and fresh onions, but when eaten, it is placed on green banana leaves.
- Rojak (Savoury Fruit and Vegetable Salad): It is an easy-to-eat salad, used in many Malaysian meals. Salad includes green mango, green apple,… mixed in spicy sauce and shrimp paste mixed with fried tofu.
- Nasi Kandar Curry Rice: A dish with bold Indian flavor. Nasi Kandar Curry Rice is a combination of white rice drizzled with spicy curry sauce from beef, chicken, shrimp, gourd, bitter gourd…
Genting highlands travel blog: Where to eat?
There are many delicious restaurants in Genting Highlands. Depending on how much you can spend for a meal, you can choose your own restaurant. Here are some delicious restaurants in Genting that you can refer to:
- Hou Mei Noodle House: 2nd floor, First World Plaza
- Causeway Bay (on the 2nd floor of First World Plaza)
- Shanghai 10 (at First World Plaza Main Atrium)
- Happy Valley Restaurant: Lobby floor of Theme Park Hotel
- Imperial Rama: 2nd Floor, Highlands Hotel
- Yik Kee Restaurant: No. 22 & 23, Jalan Jati 1, Gohtong Jaya, 69000, Genting Highlands, Pahang, Malaysia
- Chuan Kie Restaurant: No. 30 & 57, Jalan Jati 1, Gohtong Jaya, 69000, Genting Highlands, Pahang, Malaysia
- Baba Nyonya Restaurant: This delicious restaurant in Genting Highlands is beautifully decorated, serving noodles, seafood, chicken, vegetables, ice cream, fruits, curries… in general, quite a variety.
- Starbucks: This is a chain of coffee brands, so you are probably not strange, come here to drink coffee, eat cake and some other fast food.
- Food court in shopping malls in Genting Highland: We often come here to eat because we don’t have to travel a lot
- Baskin Robbins ice cream shop: This ice cream shop is delicious, you just need to Google map to find its location.
Genting Highlands travel blog: Where to stay?
In Genting Highlands, there are countless hotels, resorts and hostels for you to choose from. Depending on your budget, you can choose for yourself a reasonable resort or hotel. Here are a few suggestions for you to consider.
- First World Hotel – Resorts World Genting (Agoda, Booking): First World Hotel probably the most brightly colored hotel in Genting. The hotel is painted with many eye-catching colors. First World Hotel is directly connected to Sky Avenue Lifestyle shopping mall with many outlet stores as well as Genting casino. Rooms are well-appointed with satellite TV, direct dialing phones and fans that add to the coolness of the mountain air. In addition, there are other facilities that guests can enjoy.
- Genting Grand – Resorts Genting World (Agoda, Booking): If you want to enjoy top-notch, world-class service, you should not miss sGenting Hotel. This 4-star luxury resort was honored by Forbes magazine in 2018. The resort is a combination of restaurants, hotels and upscale shopping malls. Room rates are quite expensive, but in return the quality is excellent. Rooms are fully furnished, luxurious furniture. In addition, this resort is very close to famous tourist attractions in Genting, so it is convenient to go.
- Maxims Hotel – Resorts World Genting (Agoda, Booking): Maxims Hotel features a casino, spa, fitness center and modern rooms. The hotel is a 10-minute walk from Genting Skyway Cable Car, Genting Indoor Theme Park and Genting International Convention Centre. Awana Golf Course and Chin Swee Caves Temple are both about a 15-minute drive away. Rooms here are luxuriously decorated and classy. There are also many resort services for visitors to experience.
- Grand Ion Delemen Hotel (Agoda, Booking): Located in the Titiwangsa Mountains, Grand Ion Delemen Hotel is 1,829 meters above sea level and offers views of the valleys. The hotel features a heated swimming pool and a variety of on-site dining options. Rooms here are equipped with the most modern equipment. The hotel also has a sports center for guests. The hotel receives a lot of love from tourists from all over the world.
- Theme Park Hotel – Resorts World Genting (Agoda, Booking): Another hotel located within the Resorts World Gentingis the Theme Park Hotel. This hotel is also within easy reach of SkyAvenue and SkyCasino. Rooms here are fully furnished. The interior of the room is designed in an elegant and sophisticated style. Theme Park Hotel is located on the doorstep of Arena of Stars theater. The reception team here is available 24/24, friendly and professional.
- The Artz Room Homestay (Agoda, Booking): The Artz Room, Homestay is located in Genting Highland. This hotel is very close to the First World Plaza. Rooms here are fully equipped, beautifully decorated. Especially, there is a free parking area for those traveling by car. The room price here is relatively good, the quality of accommodation is good. The hotel regularly receives positive feedback from guests. If you want a cheap price, you can absolutely book early to receive a discount.
- Sky D’Mont Suites (Agoda, Booking): Sky D’Mont Suites is a hotel located on high position, so the room view here is very beautiful. From here you can see the whole city of Genting. Rooms here are luxurious, comfortable and have a beautiful view. In addition, the hotel also has guest facilities such as an indoor swimming pool, a bar, etc. In addition, there is a children’s play area suitable for families with young children. There is also a restaurant for guests to enjoy food.
Some best day tours, trips, activities and transfer services, tickets in, from and to Genting you can refer to
- Genting SkyWorlds Outdoor Theme Park Tickets (Direct Entry)
- Skytropolis Indoor Theme Park Ticket in Genting Highlands
- Awana SkyWay Gondola: Genting Highlands Cable Car (QR Code Direct Entry)
- [Klook Exclusive] Genting Highland Multi Attractions Pass – Bundle & Save!
- Genting Highlands Day Trip
- Visit Malaysia with EU Holidays
- Genting Highlands and Batu Caves Day Tour
- Private Batu Caves and Genting Highlands Day Tour
- [SALE] 4G Prepaid SIM Card (MY Airports Pick Up) for Malaysia
- 4G WiFi (MY Airport Pick Up) for Malaysia
Read more Malaysia guide here.