Besides many popular tourist attractions in Taipei, Kaohsiung, Tainan, … Hualien is also one of the beautiful and worthy places for you to visit and experience at least once. Do you know, Hualien is one of the destinations with the most pristine and majestic natural scenery in Taiwan with high mountains and vast blue ocean that makes tourists’ hearts race. How many day in Hualien is enough? I think 2 days but to fully explore Hualien you should spend 3 days. So, what to do in Hualien for 3 days? Let’s check out our suggested hualien 3 days itinerary (Taiwan Hualien itinerary 3 days) on how to spend 3 days in Hualien perfectly to find out the answer!
- What to do in Hualien? — 10 must, best things to do in Hualien & top things to do in Hualien
- Hualien travel blog — How to spend 2 days in Hualien (Hualien 2 days itinerary) perfectly?
- Taiwan itinerary 10 days — What to do & How to spend 10 days in Taiwan perfectly?
- Kaohsiung itinerary — Suggested Kaohsiung itinerary 3 days & how to spend 3 days in Kaohsiung?
- Alishan trip blog — The fullest Alishan travel guide on how to make an Alishan day trip from Taipei
To explore all Hualien city in one trip, Living Nomads recommends you spend 3 days 2 nights in Hualien! Now, let us suggest you the best things you should try in Hualien!
Taiwan Hualien itinerary: How to get to from Taipei to Hualien?
The easiest way is to take a train because the train runs straight from Taipei that only takes about 2-2.5 hours to get to Hualien. However, you should book tickets online early about 2 weeks to avoid run out of tickets! Ticket price is TWD 440/way.
Take a flight of Uni Air from Taipei to Hualien for 1.633 TWD/way.
If you drive, it will takes 3-4 hours but Living Nomads does not recommend you to drive by yourself, due to the road from Taipei to Hualien has places with landslides, so it is very difficult to drive and dangerous if you not familiar in travel routes.
Take the bus and take the train
If you cannot buy train tickets, you have another option is to travel by bus and then take the train to Hualien. The time will be longer than taking the one straight train, usually you will take 4-5 hours of traveling.
You can buy combo tickets for bus and train by:
Step 1: Buy one-way ticket from Taipei to Loudong at Taipei Bus Station, Taipei City Hall Bus Station, Xincheng (Taroko) Railway Station and Hualien Railway Station. At Taipei Main Station, you can buy tickets of Kamalan Bus and at Taipei City Hall Bus Station, find Capital Bus to buy tickets!
The ticket price for bus + train combo is 222 TWD. If you buy single ticket, it will be more expensive, so we recommend you buying combo tickets, which is more convenient and more economical!
Step 2: The bus takes you to Luodong station, from here you transfer to the train station to continue on to Hualien! You can change to fast train at the ticket counter (about 73 TWD).
To getting from Hualien to Taipei, you also go similarly above!
Rent a private car
If you are traveling with a group of 3 or more people and plan to visit Hualien within 1 day, you can choose a private car rental service to make your own itinerary and take the initiative.
Done with the transportation, now hurry up to note yourself the top things to do, best places to visit in Hualien in 3 days (Hualien 3 days itinerary, Taiwan Hualien itinerary for 3 days) as below.
Hualien 3 days itinerary — Day 1
Rafting on the Hsiukuluan River
Hsiukuluan River will bring you the best rafting experience in Taiwan for you. Even if you have never rowed, do not worry because the rapids are very safe for beginners and you will be guided enthusiastically and carefully by the guide. The best time to go rafting is from April to October. This is an ideal activity to relieve stress and conquer your limits, so try once to enjoy the natural scenery with rafting adventure! We ensure you will feeling very exciting, and your spirits will become much refreshed!
- Location: Hsiang Sun River Rafting Center, No. 216, Section 3, Zhongshan Road, Ruisui Township, Hualien.
- How to get there: If you choose a private transfer service in Hualien or Ruisui, it will takes about 1.5 hours each way from your hotel to Hsiang Sun Surfing Center
- Start time: 9am and 11am
- End of experience time: about 2pm and 4pm
- Cost: 497.21 TWD – 994.46 TWD (depending on service package)
Living Nomads’s suggestion: Because there are no local buses and it is difficult to catch the car to get back to the hotel, so you should choose the package that included transfer service for a more comfortable and convenient experience.
Visiting Guangfu Sugar Factory (Hualien Tourism Sugar Factory)
Guangfu sugar factory has been present since 1913 and has been one of the region’s largest sugar production facilities. Currently, the factory is no longer in operation but has been changed to a place to visit. In addition to the Japanese-style wooden house architecture, the Guangfu Sugar Factory also attracts many visitors thanks to its delicious ice cream dish with over 30 attractive types.
- Address: No. 19, Tangchang St., Dajin Vil., Guangfu Township, Hualien
- How to get there: Take the Taitung train line and get off at Guangfu Station, then walk for about 10 minutes to get there.
- Ice cream price: about 19.57/stick
- Opening hours: 8am – 8pm
3 days in Hualien — Day 2
Hualien Farglory Ocean Park
Surrounded by mountains and the blue sea, Farglory Ocean Park has a beautiful view. It only takes you about 30 minutes from Hualien center to come here!
Farglory Ocean has 8 theme areas, focusing on introducing the world of blue ocean including: Brighton by the Sea, Crystal Castle, Discovery Island, Dolphin Lagoon, Harbor Square, Main Street, Mariner’s Cove, and Underwater Kingdom. In addition to thrilling games, visitors can also watch the performances of dolphins and seals that extremely interesting. In addition, the park also serves cable car, very suitable for the elderly and children.
- Address: No.189, Fude, Yanliao Village, Shoufeng Township, Hualien County
- Opening hours: Monday – Friday: 9:30am – 6pm / Saturday, Sunday and public holidays: 9am – 6pm
How to get there?
1. Take bus number 1127, 1140, 1145 at Hualien Raiway Station to Farglory Ocean Park (Fare 51 TWD/way and takes about 35 minutes).
2. Take a taxi: about 400 TWD/way, takes about 25 minutes.
3. Take the transit bus when you booking park tickets via Klook
Hualien 3 days itinerary — Day 3
Dolphin and Whale Watching
Hualien is an ideal place to enjoy the special dolphin and whale performances. In every spring and summer every year, it is easy to see many whales appearing in eastern Huadong. You can see many species of whales like humpback whale, killer whale, sperm whale, fake killer whale and dwarf sperm whale and many mischievous, lovable dolphins like dolphins spinner, bottlenose dolphin, pantropical spotted dolphin
and Chinese white dolphin.
Each tour of the dolphin and whale watching will last for 2.5 hours and you can choose the appropriate time period because there are up to 3-4 tours/day.
- Location: 37 Minquan Street, Hualien City: 花蓮市民權路37號 (多羅滿)
- Departure time: 8:00 am / 10:00 am / 1:30 pm
- Book a tour during the best whale watching season from April to October
- If you’re come from Hualien city, you can choose a transfer package and pick up from your hotel in Hualien city center, which is both economical and faster than taking public transportation.
Qixingtan Beach is one of the most beautiful beaches in Taiwan, with beautiful natural scenery and blue waves day and night hitting the shore. The coast is covered with unique small colorful pebbles. You can come here to hang out and see the majestic Qingshui cliff far away in the day or you can also watch the stars sparkling at night. Not too crowded, Qixingtan beach deserves a place to bring you wonderful relaxing moments.
- Address: Haian Road, Xincheng Town, Hualien
- Opening hours: 24/24
- How to get there: From Hualien, take bus number 105 and get off at Qixingtan station (20 minutes)
Having experienced of traveling and travel itinerary in detail, why not invite your friends to visit Taiwan at the end of this year, guys? Before you go, remember to buy in advance 4G SIM card to enjoy texting, posting beautiful check-in photos on Facebook and Instagram!
Taiwan still has many other attractions that are equally interesting! Discover more interesting destinations in Taiwan here.
Some best day tours, trips, activities and transfer services, tickets in, to and from Hualien you can refer to
- Hualien Day Tour from Taipei
- Taroko Gorge Day Trips from Hualien
- Hualien Taroko National Park Private Car Charter
- Taroko Gorge, Swallow Grotto, & Seven Star Lake Day Tour
- [10% Off + 1 Extra Free Day] 4G SIM Card (TW Airport Pick Up) for Taiwan from Chunghwa Telecom
- 4G SIM Card (TPE Airport Pick Up) for Taiwan from Far EasTone Telecom
- [Sale – Taiwan Food Promo] Taiwan High Speed Rail (THSR) Discounted Ticket from Taipei
- Taiwan High Speed Rail (THSR) Discounted Ticket from Taoyuan
- THSR Exclusive Discount One Way Ticket from Taoyuan (Two Tickets for the Price of One)
If you have only 2 days in Hualien, check out our suggested Hualien itinerary 2 days here. And are you looking for more top things to do in Hualien: Tours, activities, attractions and other things? Check out here.