Like the photo, a piece of chicken in real life is not only large but also very brittle. A serving is enough for 2 people at the same time. The chicken taste salty, juicy and a little bit spicy but just a light tingle to the mouth. Although it is fried food, the chicken inside is still soft so it does not feel dry at all to the taste. The chicken breast is marinated and spiced, and then fried with oil at a moderate temperature so the color of the dish is golden brown, not the burned color of overcooked food. However, because they still leave the bones in the meat, so when you eat, remember to pay attention. It is not recommended to have your chicken in a rush.
- Best beef noodle in Taipei — 9 best beef noodle restaurants in Taipei you should try
- Taipei night market food — Top 18 best Taipei street food night market you should try
- Best dessert in Taipei — Top 5 sweet cafes & best dessert restaurant in Taipei
- Must eat food in Taipei — Top 24 best street food in Taipei & best places to eat them
- Taipei cafe — 5 most famous & best cafes in Taipei you must visit
In addition to the deep-fried chicken breast, you can check out some other things such as fried sweet potato, French fries or calamari to experience more pf the food culture here. An order of fried chicken breast will cost you 70 TWD. When you purchase the food, you will order on the left side where people line up, then receive the bill with the order number to get food on the right. Take advantage by dropping by early to avoid a long line because the shop is quite crowded.
- Address: No. 104, Hanzhong Street, Wanhua District, Taipei City, Taiwan 108
- Opening hours: Monday – Sunday, 12:00 AM – 10:00 PM
Braised pork and egg with rice – Tiantianli Restaurant
Legend says that, never leave Ximending without “sweeping” the popular restaurant Tiantianli. It is a legend, but entirely true. The restaurant is situated on Hanzhong Street – a place that is not too difficult to pay attention to. With the design of familiar Chinese eateries, you can always see the chef stirring fried food in his pan. Simple tables and chairs with 3 parallel rows, 2 rows on either sides for those who go alone and the middle row is for groups of friends and couples. But it doesn’t matter, it’s okay to eat alone. Eat alone, enjoy the food then have a wonderful review.
The place mainly sells main dishes and entrees, so it will be suitable for lunch and snack after having traveled quite a few places around Taipei Ximending area. It’s particularly suitable for self-planned tourists to Taiwan since there is no need to reserve a table, just sit at an empty table and order food. An order of Lu Rou Fan – white rice with braised pork for 25 TWD or with an extra omelette for 35 TWD. This is a dish that is considered to be served the quickest and most popular. Eating with soy sauce will bring out the salty taste combined with the sweetness of meat. A terrific experience of all time.
Note: Don’t forget to order some other side dishes to have a complete experience.
- Address: No. 1, Lane 32, Hanzhong St, Wanhua District, Taiwan 108
- Opening hours: Tuesday – Sunday, 9:30 AM – 10:30 PM
After trying all the foods, do not forget that you are in the “milk tea paradise”. With the inescapable milk tea addiction, you will just withdraw your cash and order: “Please give me a cup of pearl milk tea 100% sugar, 70% ice with jelly and pudding.” Don’t ask me why I am addicted, blame 50 Lan milk tea for being so delicious. The brand has more than 50 large and small stores around Taipei and is also known as KOI in some Southeast Asian countries, including Vietnam. It won’t be too hard to see the 50 Lan store when you walk around the streets of Taipei, especially at Ximending. Those of you who intend to travel to Taiwan on your own should take note.
Especially, the shop serves mini pearls – Small Pearl and other accompanying jelly and pudding. If you are not too picky, you can try things like Cream Tea or Olong Milk Tea. The price per cup ranges from 40-60 TWD depending on the size and topping you choose. If you are not really satisfied with 50 Lan milk tea, let’s visit other brands of Taiwanese milk tea.
- Address: No. 48-4, Xining Rd, Wanhua District, Taipei City, Taiwan 108
- Opening hours: Monday – Sunday, 10:00 AM – 11:00 PM
Japanese Okinawa style grilled rice cakes
Mochi rice cake is probably no stranger to lovers of Japanese dessert. However, you can still find Mochi in Ximending. Here, the dish is not only modified and also processed in multiple variants in accordance with the tastes of young people. Rice cakes are grilled by charcoal untill slightly scorched and served with a variety of topping such as sesame sauce (salty taste), cheese (sweet taste) and peanuts (sweet taste). I especially love the sweet taste of peanuts that mingles with the richness of rice cakes. The feeling when tasting them is very pleasant.
Rice cakes will be sold in skewers and lined with paper, each skewer costs 30 TWD. We encourage you to try 1-2 skewers because rice cakes are made from glutinous flour; if you eat too much of them, it’s easy to get full. Leave some space in your stomach for other food.
- Address: No. 49, Emei St, Wanhua District, Taipei City, Taiwan 108
- Opening hours: Monday – Sunday, 12:00 AM – 10:00 PM
Yongfu family ice cream shop
This is one of the oldest authentic traditional ice cream shops in Taipei. The restaurant has been serving for over 70 years and is famous for its tradition of making handmade ice cream. This is also a place that many young people review and stop by when having a chance to visit Ximending, Taipei. The shop serves ice cream flavors such as taro, longan, peanuts and red beans etc. You can choose to mix them according to your preference.
Two scoops of ice cream will cost you about 40 TWD with optional flavors. If you have never tried Yongfu ice cream in Ximending, it will be easy to see the difference from American ice-cream because they use less sugar and focus on the real flavor of the ice cream. I rather like red bean and taro flavors because they are not too sweet.
- Address: No. 68, Section 2, Guiyang St, Wanhua District, Taipei City, Taiwan 108
- Opening hours: Monday-Sunday, 10:00 AM – 10:00 PM
Do you want explore Taipei in a day? Refer to Explore Taipei City.
Are you looking for more street food in Taipei? Let’s read: Must eat food in Taipei — Top 24 best street food in Taipei & best places to eat them. And more Taipei travel guide? Taipei travel blog — The fullest Taipei city guide for a wonderful trip to Taipei for the first-timers.
Some best day tours, trips, activities and transfer services, tickets in, to and from Taipei you can refer to
- Taoyuan Airport Private Transfers (TPE) for Taipei
- Sedan Taoyuan Airport Transfers (TPE) for Taipei
- [SALE] Taoyuan Airport MRT Ticket & Exclusive Shopping Coupon
- Luxury Taoyuan Airport Transfers (TPE) for Taipei
- Explore Taipei City
- Taipei Free Walking Tour Historic Route
- Taipei Double Decker Bus Tour
- Taipei Popular Sightseeing Private Car Charter : Jiufen, Pingxi, and North Coast (Chinese/English/Korean)
- Northeast Coast Scenic Day Tour
- Jiufen Shuttle Bus from Ximen
- Yehliu, Shifen, and Jiufen Day Tour with Korean and English Speaking Guides
- [10% Off + 1 Extra Free Day] 4G SIM Card (TW Airport Pick Up) for Taiwan from Chunghwa Telecom
- 4G SIM Card (TPE Airport Pick Up) for Taiwan from Far EasTone Telecom
- 4G WiFi (TW Airport Pick Up) for Taiwan
- 4G Portable WiFi for Taiwan from Uroaming (Unlimited Data)
- 4G Portable WiFi for Taiwan from WiFiBB (Unlimited Data)
- 4G LTE WiFi (TW Airport Pick Up) for Japan
- [Sale – Taiwan Food Promo] Taiwan High Speed Rail (THSR) Discounted Ticket from Taipei
- Taiwan High Speed Rail (THSR) Consecutive Unlimited Pass (2 or 3 Days)
- Taiwan High Speed Rail (THSR) Discounted Ticket from Taoyuan
- THSR Exclusive Discount One Way Ticket from Taoyuan (Two Tickets for the Price of One)
Are you finding more top things to do in Taipei: Tours, activities, attractions and other things? Read more: Taipei travel blog — The fullest Taipei city guide for a wonderful trip to Taipei for the first-timers.