South Korea is not only a charming location in Autumn with a carpet of fallen yellow and red leaves on the ground, a romantic place in the Spring, with the beautiful, clear, blue sky and the cherry trees blossoming all over the streets, but also a paradise in the Winter for travelers who want to touch the snow and experience the enjoyable Winter sports, which are rarely found in the tropical countries like Vietnam. Let’s discover some wonderful destinations for skiing in Korea (Skiing in South Korea) with top 5 best ski resorts in Korea and best ski resorts near Seoul you should not miss when traveling to South Korea in winter.
- Top ski resorts in Hokkaido — Top 5 places & best ski resorts in Hokkaido
- Seoul travel blog — The fullest Seoul travel guide blog first-timers
- South Korea winter festivals — Top 3 winter festival in Korea you must attend
- Elysian Gangchon Ski Resort Review — Review a ski day in Gangwon, super cool, extremely value for money
- Korea winter travel blog — Some useful tips, top things to do & best places to travel in Korea in winter
Coming to South Korea in Winter and you will see the snow coverings all over the places, from the ground, the tree, to the rooftop of the houses and buildings,… The white snow will definitely make you enjoy your trip to South Korea a lot.
The Winter in South Korea often lasts from November to March, the cold weather of this season will be very suitable for enjoying the typical Korean grilled dishes, soaking in hot mineral baths and especially trying skiing – a specialty that can hardly find in Vietnam.
So, if you still have no idea for the trip on the upcoming Tet holiday, if you’re still looking for a place to mark the beginning of a wonderful new year, please join our journey in South Korea below to name some of the outstanding skiing spots that tourists should come in the Winter.
1. Which areas (places, resorts) are suitable for skiing?
When it comes to skiing, people will often think of Gangwon, because there are many modern and comfortable skiing resorts, with many skiing slopes for everyone, from people who first try this Winter sport to the professional ones.
In addition, the skiing resorts in Gangwon are quite close to Seoul, and therefore, it’s pretty easy to come to this location just by public means of transports, or the resorts in Gangwon also offer shuttle bus service from Seoul to tourists who want to come here.
Gangwon is also chosen to be the host city for the 2018 Olympic Games. So, if you’re getting tired of going shopping in Seoul, try going to Gangwon for skiing in the upcoming vacation! Furthermore, because Gangwon has been chosen as the venue for the 2018 Winter Olympics, its sliding terrains are certainly perfect.
2. Best skiing destinations in Gangwon
Vivaldi Park Ski World
Address: 262, Hanchigol-gil, Seo-myeon, Hongcheon-gun, Gangwon-do
This park belongs to the Daemyung Resort, which is one of the first parks open all night serving the locals and visitors. There are about 13 sliders and many different slopes suitable for everyone from the new skiers to the professional ones. That’s why this park has become the most popular skiing destination in South Korea for seven years.
How to get there
Departure: From Seoul, go to Sangbong Station or Dong Seoul Station, take the bus to Hongcheon Station, then from Hongcheon Station, take the 70-1 bus or 70-2 bus to Vivaldi Park Ski World. It takes more than 2 hours to travel from Seoul to Vivaldi Park Ski World.
Elysian Gangchon Ski Resort
Address: 688 Bukhangangbyeon-gil, Namsan-myeon, Chuncheon, Gangwon-do
This resort is the resort which is closest to the center of Seoul. It often takes just a bit more than an hour to get to Elysian Gangchon Ski Resort by subway. This resort has 10 different levels of slopes depending on the level of skiers, that’s why no matter you’re a professional skier or not, this place will definitely help you to enjoy the skiing experience.
How to get there
If you have got a T-money card, you can go to Sangbong station to take a subway to Baegyangri station to get to Elysian Gangchon (If you have not bought T-Money card, you should buy it right away because, with this divine card, you can travel by bus around Seoul, to Busan or to Jeju extremely conveniently.
Yongpyong Ski Resort
Address: 30 Yongsan-ri, Daegwalnyeong-myeon, Pyeongchang-gun, Gangwon-do
If you are a skiing professional, you will love the Yongpyong Ski Resort at first sight. There are 28 slopes in which there are slopes that are hard even for the professionals (and if you slide you should try Mega Green slider) and the snow here is very thick (about 2.5m). This is the largest skiing area in South Korea.
Or if you are a fan of Korean dramas, like the “Winter Sonata”, you definitely have to come here at least once to witness the beautiful filming location of this movie. The Yongpyong here is also considered by many people as the Alps of Korea.
Hansol Valley Oak
Address: 58, Oak Valley 2-Gil, Jijeong-myeon, Wonju-si, Gangwon-do
The Hansol Oak Valley is definitely a top choice if you are traveling with your family and especially with young children, because of the gentle slopes and especially the slopes for children in this skiing destination.
How to get there
Bus: Take the bus from Dong Seoul Station or Seoul Express Bus Terminal to Wonju. After coming to the Wonju Intercity / Express Bus Terminal, catch the shuttle bus to Hansol Oak.
Train: Take a train from Cheongnyangni station to Wonju station. And, from Wonju station, take the shuttle bus to Hansol Oak.
3. What to prepare for going skiing in Korea
You will need to rent the skiing equipment, such as skis, ski suits,… at the skiing resorts. So, you’ll just have to bring along the warm clothes, but it must be lightweight, or heat-tech shirt sold in Uniqlo which is lightweight but still very warm.
If it is okay to stop by the supermarkets (eMart, Lotte Mart), remember to buy thermal underwear (in the underwear area in the supermarket), leather gloves (waterproof), socks,… which will make it more convenient for you when skiing.
Some best day tours, trips, activities and transfer services, tickets in and from Seoul you can refer to
- Private Incheon International Airport Transfers (ICN) for Seoul
- Private Incheon Airport Transfers (ICN) for Seoul
- Incheon International Airport (ICN) Limousine Bus Transfers for Seoul (Gangnam District)
- Klook Exclusive Seoul 5 Day Pass
- Discover Seoul Pass (BTS Edition Available)
- [SALE] Instant Ticket! Korea Rail Pass (KR PASS) 2/3/4/5 Days to travel around the cities in Korea
- Private Incheon Airport (ICN) and Gimpo Airport (GMP) Transfers for Seoul by S.A Tour
- Everland Private Car Charter with Admission Ticket by Wondertrip
- KAL Limousine Bus Ticket for Seoul
- [Limited Offer] AREX Incheon Airport Express Train One Way Ticket in Seoul
- Bukchon Oneday Hanbok Rental Experience (4/24 Hrs)
- Nami Island, Petite France, Garden of Morning Calm, and Gangchon Rail Bike Day Tour from Seoul
- Seoul City Sightseeing Bus (Downtown Palace Namsan Course/Seoul Panorama Course)
- [Limited Offer] Incheon International Airport (ICN) Luggage Services (Between Airport and Hotel) by Safex
- 4G Prepaid SIM Card (SK Airports Pick Up) for South Korea
- [Sale] Hanbok Experience (Hanboknam Gyeongbokgung Store) with Korean Hairstyling
- [SALE] South Korea 4G Pocket WiFi (KR Airports Pick Up) from KT Olleh
- 4G WiFi (MY Airport Pick Up) for South Korea (Unlimited Data)
- 4G Portable WiFi for South Korea from Uroaming (Unlimited Data)
Are you finding more top things to do in Seoul: Tours, activities, attractions and other things? Let’s check it out here.