In recent years, Chiang Mai has improved in transport system and tourism as well. Therefore, tourists find it remarkably attractive to explore the northern Thailand. Located next to Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai is also a quite as famous as “this next-door neighbor”. In spite of not developing of tourism resources yet, tourists still love to travel here to explore clearly Chiang Rai – the mysterious and quiet town. It can be expected that Chiang Rai will be the latest travel trend in the future. Let’s schedule to discover this enigmatic Chiang Rai in the new year. So, what’s hot in Chiang Rai, Thailand? Let’s check out our suggestions below for one day trip on how to get to Chiang Rai from Chiang Mai, where to go in Chiang Rai, how to get to Chiang Rai with suggested top Chiang Rai tourist attractions including 4 best places to visit in Chiang Rai (Chiang Rai places to visit) as well as top things to do in Chiang Rai to find out the answer!
- Chiang Rai travel blog — The ultimate guide for a budget trip to Chiang Rai, Thailand
- Anantara Siam Bangkok Hotel review — Experience one of the most luxury 5-star hotels in the heart of Bangkok
- Thailand itinerary 8 days — Suggested Bangkok Krabi itinerary & How to spend 8 days in Thailand?
- Lebua Sky Bar review — Experience one of the best rooftop bars at Sirocco & Sky Bar Lebua Bangkok
- Saturday Night Market Chiang Mai review — Experience one of most vibrant & best night markets in Chiang Mai
One minute of travel advertising for Chiang Mai:
How to get to Chiang Rai from Chiang Mai
There are several ways to get to Chiang Rai from Chiang Mai such as by plane, by bus, shuttle service or by motorbike,…
By plane: Not only there is a few direct flights from Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai but also with a highly price.
Greenbus: running five times a day to Chiang Rai, cheap price but a bit time-consuming. Therefore, you should make a reservation on web in advance.
Private shuttle bus: If you come in group, I highly recommend you should rent a private shuttle bus due to the active as well as the comfortable during your excursion.
Link to rent: Private Car Charter Between Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai.
By motorbike: You can contact to your hotel in order to rent motorbikes and self-drive along Chiang Rai, but please ensure that you have the ability to ride in Thailand as well as to self-protection.
Besides, there are also a lot of professional day tours with shuttle service. Let’s check out some tours below.
- Doi Inthanon National Park Day Tour by Oriental Holiday
- Chiang Rai Full Day Private Tour with White Temple, Blue Temple, Black House, and Singha Park
- Chiang Rai One Day Tour from Chiang Mai
- Chiang Rai & The Golden Triangle by Oriental Holiday
What to do in Chiang Rai? Best places to visit in Chiang Rai (Chiang Rai places to visit) and top things to do in Chiang Rai
Thailand is famous for temples and pagodas, including in Chiang Rai and Wat Rong Suea Ten (also called Blue Temple) is the most well known temple in Chiang Rai thanks to its impressible architecture and great painting engraved skillfully on the wall. Moreover, a lot of big mirrors are set up inside of the temple that when the sun comes down, the magical sun rays of the sunset shine through the temple making every single detail of these paintings reflected in those big mirrors. It was absolutely miraculous and mysterious. To sum up, don’t forget to check out Blue Temple – an incredible temple in Chiang Rai.
- Address: Moo 2 Rim Kok, Chiang Rai
- Opening hours: 7:00 – 20:00
- Entrance Fee: Free
Another famous destination for every Buddhist is Wat Rong Khun (also called White Temple) is the place where reflected the journey from inferno to heaven through one of a kind statues. Experienced that journey, in spite of all the horror, you’ll find it particularly excited. Especially, there are a lot of imagines of hot characters such as Michael Jackson, Iron Man, Minions,… on the wall in the main hall, so it’s gonna be fun.
- Address: Pa O Don Chai, Chiang Rai
- Opening Hours: 8:00 – 17:00
- Entrance Fee: 50 Baht (almost $1,6) per person
Choui Fong Tea Plantations
I believe you’ll be amazed that most teas in Thailand are provided by Chiang Rai. Choui Fong Tea Plantations is a wide land of green and fresh teas so that you’ll be particularly photogenic when taking pictures in this fantastic destination. Not only that, you can immerse yourself into the gigantic land of green tea plants and enjoy a cup of high-quality tea. How cool than than!
- Address: Mae Chan, Chiang Rai
- Opening hours: 8:30 – 17:30
Chiang Rai’s night market
Of course, night market is a must-visit destination in Chiang Rai. It has a variety of delicious dishes and items for you to choose with bargain price. The highlights of Chiang Rai’s night market are handicrafts and ethnic clothing weaved by hand which is really unique. But remember not to break the bank.
- Address: Wiang, Mueang Chiang Rai District, Chiang Rai 57000, Thailand
- Hours: 6–11PM / Monday: 12AM–5PM, 6–11PM
Chiang Rai also has a lot of wild destinations which are totally unexplored to tourists like Golden Triangle or Karen Long Neck Village,… Therefore, why don’t you guys come and explore this mysterious Chiang Rai with your own way.
Visiting Chiang Rai, I’m sure you’ll take a lot of adorable pictures and show them off right away. You can buy Thai 4G SIM card online with a super sale on Klook.
Some best day tours, trips, activities and transfer services, tickets in and from Chiang Rai you can refer to
- Chiang Rai & The Golden Triangle
- Chiang Rai One Day Tour from Chiang Mai
- Chiang Rai Half Day Private Tour with White Temple, Blue Temple, and Black House
- 4G Pocket WiFi (Bangkok and Phuket Airports Pick Up) for Thailand
Are you looking for more Chiang Rai travel guide and top things to do in Chiang Rai? Let’s read: Chiang Rai travel blog — The ultimate guide for a budget trip to Chiang Rai, Thailand.