Rent a camping car or campervan
- Advantages: Convenient, portable. The car has both a refrigerator and a kitchen.
- Disadvantages: Cannot enter F-road in the highland area.
Here are some good budget and cheap hotels in Iceland you can refer to:
- Reykjavik Residence Hotel (Hverfisgata 45, Reykjavik 101, Iceland), with room rates from $223.69/night. (See reviews on Agoda.com or Booking.com)
- Storm Hotel by Keahotels (Thorunnartun 4, Reykjavik 105, Iceland), with room rates from $150.54/night. (See reviews on Agoda.com or Booking.com)
- Center Hotel Plaza (Adalstraeti 4, Reykjavik 101, Iceland), with room rates from $172.05/night. (See reviews on Agoda.com or Booking.com)
- Hotel Geysir (Geysir | Haukadalur, Selfoss 801, Iceland), with room rates from $163.43/night. (See reviews on Agoda.com or Booking.com)
- Fosshotel Vatnajokull (Lindarbakki 781, Hofn, Iceland), with room rates from $172.05/night. (See reviews on Agoda.com or Booking.com)
- City Center Hotel (Austurstraeti 6, Reykjavik 101, Iceland), with room rates from $107.51/night. (See reviews on Agoda.com or Booking.com)
- Hotel Borealis (Bruarholt, Selfoss 801, Iceland), with room rates from $111.81/night.
Hotel Leifur Eiriksson (Skolavoroustigur 45, Reykjavik 101, Iceland), with room rates from $129.00/night. (See reviews on Agoda.com or Booking.com)
- Hotel Katla by Keahotels (Hoefdabrekka, Vik 871, Iceland), with room rates from $124.70/night. (See reviews on Agoda.com or Booking.com)
In addition, you can refer to one of the best Airbnb in Iceland: Beautiful studio with great view at $139/night or Nónsteinn -2- Enjoy life in the countryside at $69/night or Cottage with a view #1 at $138/night.
- MRT Singapore for tourist & Public transport in Singapore for tourists — The cheapest & best way to get around Singapore
- South Korea itinerary 10 days — How to spend 10 days in South Korea perfectly?
- Tokyo airport to Tokyo city — How to get from Narita Airport to Tokyo & from Haneda Airport to Tokyo?
- Ipoh travel blog — The fullest Ipoh travel guide blog for a trip to Ipoh on a budget for the first-timers
- Boston travel blog — The fullest Boston city guide for a trip to Boston on a budget for the first-timers
–> Airbnb link discounts up to $35 for the first booking here: https://www.airbnb.com/c/anht5185
Iceland blog: Best places to visit and top things to do in Iceland
The capital city of Reykjavik is the first place you will land if traveling by air, and this is also one of the must places to visit and one of the best attractions in Iceland that tourists love most. You will have the opportunity to see the colorful and interesting streets, watch the moon in winter or sunrise in the midnight in the summer. Especially the beautiful aurora phenomenon in the fall will make you completely immersed in the charming natural scenery of nature.
What is more wonderful than in the cold weather you find a steaming hot spring to soak and relax, feeling like a fairyland by the fuzzy steam. This special stream also attracts thousands of tourists because it contains many minerals that are good for health and have therapeutic benefits. This is also an experience not to be missed when traveling to Iceland.
Address: Nordurljosavegur 9, 240 Grindavík, Iceland
Phone: +354 420 8800
Gullfoss waterfall, also known as Golden Falls: Gullfoss waterfall brings the magnificent beauty of nature with a height of about 32m, white foam, alternating are majestic mountains, suggesting to visitors about stories Ancient myths fascinated people. It is considered to be the most beautiful natural wonder in Iceland, attracting a lot of tourists every year so you absolutely not to be missed this place when you come Iceland.
Thingvellir National Park
You can explore the charming natural landscapes with fuzzy trees fading in Iceland’s typical cold along with ancient and beautiful architectures. You can also rent a car to visit around Iceland’s ocean belt when coming to Thingvellir.
Address: Pingvellir, Thingvellir 801, Iceland
Phone: +354 482 2660
Hours: 9:00 AM – 6:00 PM
You will feeling like being in the settings of Hollywood movies when you come to Hverir and admire the magical natural scenery such as foaming lakes and evaporation by sulfur, mossy barren lands, green steppe … In other words Hverir has the most diverse landscape of this island, will surely bring you many unforgettable experiences and beautiful mystical photos.
Address: NE-2 660, 660 Grand Island, Iceland
Hours: 24 hours
The aurora in Iceland is a very unique optical phenomenon, colorful sunbeams running down the night sky. They are generated by the interaction of charge particles from the solar wind with the upper layer of the atmosphere. These multicolored bands of light constantly move and change like silk strips emit light in the sky. This phenomenon usually occurs in the fall (August). Extremely interesting.
Skaftafell Ice Cave
Located in Vatnajökull National Park, the Skaftafell ice cave is one of Iceland’s most standing out natural attractions. The best time to visit this cave is in the winter, when heavy rains have completely ended.
Address: Reykjavík, Iceland
Area: 4,807 km²
Phone: +354 470 8300
Landmannalaugar National Park
This park is located in southern Iceland and is one of the most famous sights in Iceland. From June to the end of September every year, visitors from all over the world visit this place and admire the masterpieces that Mother Nature gave to Iceland. Highlights include Hekla crater.
The city of Akureyri is located in northern Iceland, not too far from the north pole. Despite a not-so-large population, Akureyri is an important cultural and trading center in Iceland, and an important stop on any Arctic exploration journey.
Iceland travel blog: What and where to eat in Iceland?
Icelandic cuisine has a long history with important ingredients are lamb, milk, fish … The taste of Iceland food is quite typical, there are quite a number of specialty dishes that you should try when coming to this beautiful island nation.
Hákarl (Fermented Shark Meat)
First of all, there is Hákarl dish, fermented shark meat: The dish is made from shark meat of Greenland sea, processed cleanly, cut off the head, buried in sand, stone and gravel about 6-12 weeks and take it to dry for about 3 – 5 months to enjoy. This is also one of the traditional dishes of Icelanders.
Svid (Boiled Sheep Head)
This dish when presented looks horrible because there is a sheep head cut in half on a plate, however different from its frightening appearance, the bold flavor of this dish will definitely make you never forget.
Rugbraud (Steamed Rye Bread)
This is a favorite dish of many people because of simple processing but delicious taste. You can eat bread with butter, ham, tuna, cheese …
Hardfiskur (Icelandic Dried Fish)
This is a familiar snack, considered a version of Iceland’s dried beef, usually served with butter. You can buy it at any supermarket here, but the best is still at Kolaportid Flea Market (Reykjavik).
About eating, like everywhere else, in Iceland you have two ways: eat in a restaurant and cook for yourself. Eat at restaurants not cheap, about € 30 – 50 / 1 person.
- Supermarkets are also not cheap compared to other European countries (twice as expensive as the same food in French). Two popular supermarkets are Bonus (pink pig logo) and Netto.
- Vegetables are not fresh and canned food is also very poor. Most Icelandic supermarkets have only a few types of fish and canned fruits, without pâté and canned meat. Bread has a very short expire date, only 3, 4 days.
- Beer and wine in Iceland are only sold in a few state stores, almost always closed and very expensive. You should buy in duty-free stores at the airport if necessary.
- In Iceland you can rest assured to drink cold water from the tap, it is not necessary to buy bottled water sold in supermarkets (about €2 / bottle of 1.5 liter, and only very few options).
- In the peak season, if you intend to eat in a restaurant, you should call to book in advance because the cities in Iceland are very small (except Reykjavik, Akureyri), each city has only a few delicious restaurants. Every time go out for eating without booking, you have to wait 1 to 2 hours.
A few good restaurants in Iceland
Pakkhús Restaurant or Humarhöfnin Veitingahus, both are located near the Port of Höfn.
Pakkhús was advised by the owner of camping site and she confirmed this is the best restaurant in the region. The restaurant is very cozy and beautifully decorated.
Address: Krosseyjarvegur 3, 780 Höfn í Hornafirði, Iceland
Phone: +354 478 2280
Humarhöfnin Veitingahús has shrimp specialties (Höfn is the lobster capital of Iceland). We really like lobster pizza here. The lamb here is also very delicious.
Address: Hafnarbraut, 780 Höfn í Hornafirði, Iceland
Phone: +354 478 1200
Bjargarsteinn mathus, the restaurant has a beautiful view overlooking the famous Kirkjufell mountain, lovely Northern style decoration.
Address: 15 350, Sólvellir, Grundarfjörður, Iceland
Phone: +354 438 6770
Iceland travel guide blog: What to buy in Iceland?
The shopping in Iceland was not exciting because most of the goods in Iceland were imported, so the price was quite high. Visitors traveling to Iceland often buy antiques or sweaters … You can also buy dry foods in Iceland as gifts for relatives.
Suggested Iceland itinerary for 17 days
- Day 0: Fly from Toulouse – Munich – Reykjavik.
- Day 1, 2: Reykjavik (A)
- Day 3: Reykjavik, Þingvellir, Bruarfoss, Geysir (A, B, C, D)
- Day 4: Gullfoss, Hjalparfoss, Háifoss (mandatory 4×4), Landmannalaugar (mandatory 4×4) (E, F, G)
- Day 5: Landmannalaugar, Seljalandsfoss (G, H)
- Day 6: Island Vestmann
- Day 7: Skógarfoss, Vik (I)
- Day 8: Fjaðrárgljúfur canyon, farm Nupsstathur, Skaftafell (Svartifoss) (J, K)
- Day 9: Glacier walk, Fjallsálón, Jökulsárlón (K, L)
- Day 10: Hofn, Hoffellsjokull, East bay (M, N)
- Day 11: Seythisfjorthur Village, Dettifoss, Hverir (O, P, Q)
- Day 12: Krafla, Grjotagja, Godafoss (R, S)
- Day 13: Akureyri, Glaubaer farm, Vatnsnes, Hvítserkur (T, U)
- Day 14: Hraunfossar, Husafell (V)
- Day 15: Vatnsnes, Anastasi, Snaefell (W, X)
- Day 16: Snaefell, Kirkjufell (Y)
- Day 17: Reykjavik (A)
Iceland on a budget: Trip cost
Below are reference costs for 17 days itinerary in Iceland
(€1 ≈ ISK132)
- Airfare: €322 / 1 person
- Average cost / person: 4×4 car rental: €500 / 1 person (€2000 / 1 car / 14 days), gasoline €110 (about ISK190 / 1 liter), €73 (boat, taxi, bus)
- Accommodation: Airbnb about €100 / 1 room 2 people / night, shared bathroom), camping about €10 / 1 person / 1 night, guesthouse about €140 rooms / 4 people / 1 night
- Eating: Restaurant about €30-50 / 1 person / 1 meal
Our cost for 17 days, group of 4 people: €1773 / 1 person. Distance on the road: 2.765 km. 3 nights in Airbnb, 1 night in guesthouse and 13 nights in camping site.
Suggested 4 days in Iceland (any season): Refer to symbols on itinerary map above)
- Day 1: Reykjavik, Þingvellir, Bruarfoss, Geysir (A, B, C, D)
- Day 2: Gullfoss, Vik, Black Sand Beach, Dyrholaey (E, between I and J)
- Day 3: Skaftafell (Svartifoss), Glacier walk (K)
- Day 4: Fjallsálón, Jökulsárlón, return to Reykjavik (L, A)
Suggested Iceland itinerary 7 days in Iceland (Summer)
- Day 1: Reykjavik, Þingvellir, Bruarfoss, Geysir (A, B, C, D)
- Day 2: Gullfoss, Háifoss (mandatory 4×4), Landmannalaugar (mandatory 4×4) (E, F, G)
- Day 3: Landmannalaugar (G)
- Day 4: Landmannalaugar, Seljalandsfoss (G, H)
- Day 5: Skógarfoss, Vik, Black Sand Beach, Dyrholaey (I, between I and J)
- Day 6: Skaftafell (Svartifoss), Glacier walk (K)
- Day 7: Fjallsálón, Jökulsárlón, return to Reykjavik (L, A)
Iceland travel tips: What to pack and what to bring for a trip to Iceland?
- Warm clothes (including in the mid-summer): Waterproof jackets and quick-dry pants, heattech long sleeves close to you. Jeans, cotton clothes are not suitable for rainy weather, they should not be worn.
- Waterproof trekking shoes: A pair of high necks on the ankles to travel on the glacier (mandatory), a low pair of necks for short trek and driving.
Good quality tent, withstands wind and heavy rain. Our group used two tents of The
- North Face: Mountain 25 Summit and Talus 2, each with its own advantages and disadvantages, but it was generally quite good.
- Air cushion: It is very necessary when have to sleep on a cool gravel or moist soil like in Iceland. We use FORCLAZ A200UL L Quechua cushion, lightweight (730 gr, 16 x 25 cm when rolled and 180 x 50 cm when spreading)
- Type sleeping bags withstand below 0 degree Celsius. We use FORCLAZ 0° LIGHT of Quechua, can be paired into double bags, disadvantages: slightly heavy and bulky (1.5 kg, 23 x 36 cm when folding)
- Small gas stove. We choose the kind of Primus that can be folded up just by two fingers. Gas cylinders purchased at Iceland gas station cost about 1400 ISK (€10), used just enough for 4 people in 2 weeks.
- Aluminum pots, lighters, knives, forks, plastic bowls. A few camping sites in Iceland has kitchens and cookware.
Moisturizer and sunscreen
- Garbage bags of 30-50 liters to cover things when it rains.
- Dried or canned food (3 kg / 1 person)
- The converter for lighter cigar to 220V to charge phone battery, camera in car. In some camping areas, you have to sit for a long time in the kitchen to wait for turns or have to pay (cheap or expensive, depending on campsites, from ISK200 to ISK1000 / 1 device).
If you go to in summer, do not need bring a flashlight because it is always bright.
Some best day tours, trips, activities and transfer services, tickets in, from and to Iceland you can refer to
- Golden Circle & Friðheimar Greenhouse Cultivation Day Tour
- Reykjavik Walking Tour
- Hop On and Hop Off Bus in Reykjavik
- Hop On and Hop Off Iceland Bus Passport
- South Iceland Tour from Reykjavik
- Golden Circle Tour and Kerid Crater Day Tour
- Jokulsarlon Glacier Lagoon and South Coast Day Trip
- 2 Day South Coast and Glacier Hike from Reykjavik
- Premium Southern Iceland Small Group Day Tour
- Lava Caving and Silfra Snorkeling Tour from Reykjavik
- Secret Lagoon Ticket and Transfers from Reykjavik
- Snæfellsnes Peninsula Full Day Tour from Reykjavik
- Blue Lagoon Ticket with Round Trip Transfers for Reykjavik
Are you looking for more top things to do in Iceland: Tours, activities, attractions and other things? Let’s check it out at here.