The tree was cut down in 1850 by a European settler and Sir John Logan Campbell tried to make up for this mistake by planting trees on the top of the mountain. There is only one remaining pine tree and the top of the mountain is called One Tree Hill.
- Auckland travel blog — The fullest Auckland travel guide for a great budget trip for first-timers
- Brunei travel blog — The fullest Brunei travel guide for first-timers
- Chiang Mai blog — The super Chiang Mai travel guide for first-timers
- My trip to Nepal blog — A journey to the sacred land of the world
- What to buy in New Zealand? — 21+ must buy & best gifts from New Zealand
Today, One Tree Hill and the neighboring Cornwall Park are the best places to walk for many people. The park is used to graze sheep and cattle and you can walk or drive through the park, slowly watching the old oak trees, olive trees, a plantation and stone walls here. Maungakiekie Hill has a BBQ area – one of the typical activities of New Zealand tourism, picnic area, ice skating park and playground. Moreover, in the park has the Stardome Observatory with two telescopes and a planetarium.
Address: Green Ln W, Epsom, Auckland 1051, New Zealand
Phone: +64 9-630 8485
Howick Historical Village
Afterwards, to continue the 7-day Auckland travel itinerary, you can visit Howick, home of Howick Historical Village and one of the earliest settlements in New Zealand.
Address: Lloyd Elsmore Park, Bells Rd, Pakuranga, Auckland 2010, New Zealand
Phone: +64 9-576 9506
Miranda Bird Sanctuary
If you still have plenty of time and don’t want to miss an equally interesting Auckland attraction, let’s visit the Miranda Bird Sanctuary, located along the bay of Firth of Thames. This is where you can observe a variety of birds, learn and approach them. Beside it, the southern hemisphere’s largest hot lake is also located in the nearby Miranda Hot Springs.
Pūkorokoro Miranda Shorebird Centre
Address: 283 E Coast Rd, Miranda 2473, New Zealand
Phone: +64 9-232 2781
Auckland itinerary 7 days — Day 5: Tiritiri Matangi Island or Mount Eden
Tiritiri Matangi Island
In the morning of the 5th day of the 7 days in Auckland itinerary, let’s prepare for the journey to visit Tiritiri Matangi Island – one of the attractions in Auckland that is loved by many people. The island is a wildlife sanctuary just 4 km from the coast of Whangaparaoa peninsula in Hauraki Bay. The Maori were the first to settle here and the Europeans arrived in the early 19th century.
Today, the island has 60% of the forest area, and 40% is plain and grassland, and Tiritiri Matangi is also home to rare birds and animals. In addition to the natural landscape, the birds and animals on the island also have a lighthouse built in 1864, the Tourist Support Center, the scenic walks and the beach Hobbs. If you love penguins, then you can have the opportunity to watch the blue penguins nest on the beach walkway.
Tiritiri Matangi Island is an ideal one-day attraction in the 7-day Auckland travel schedule. A small travel tip for you: to protect the island, the number of visitors per day is limited and especially in the summer, you need to book a ferry ticket in advance.
When you arrive at the island, you are free to walk (guided), explore the island or spend the day on the beach. The last ferry usually leaves the island at 15:30. You can rent a private boat to move to the island, but it is not allowed to camp here.
Some other useful travel tips for you when visiting Tiritiri Matangi Island:
- Island applied strict rules of conservation, regulations such as smoking ban, throw garbage, fire … are strictly managed. Take care to preserve the environment and comply with the rules!
- Island has houses for rent in case you want to stay overnight here
- The visitor support center is where you can use the toilet, and use tea and coffee for free
If you prefer to go to mountain than island, change your itinerary to Mount Eden – one of the attractions in Auckland for free and with a extremely beautiful view. When climbing to the top of Eden, you can see the whole city, completely immersed yourself into nature and have an unforgettable experience when conquering a crater. To help you don’t get tired and save time, as well as save your energy to explore this mountain, you should take the bus from the center to the beginning of the mountain trail, from here start walking up. This is the ideal place to see the city, and you can even admire the sunset from the top of Eden.
Auckland itinerary 7 days — Day 6: The North Auckland – Diving or visiting Kawau Island
Let’s spend the day 6th in the Auckland itinerary 7 days for the North Auckland. You can rent a service car or drive yourself along State Highway 1 Highway, then stop at Warkworth to visit some of the village’s handicraft shops. This is also an ideal place for you to buy souvenirs for your trip, before moving to the walk along the river.
Modern and busy streets are not all of New Zealand. So take advantage of your time to explore a more simple, rural and quiet of Auckland at Sheepworld, just a 5-minute drive from Warkworth. Here, you will enjoy the delicacies of Farm Show, feed the animals, buy some souvenirs or sit and sip something in the cafe right on the farm.
Address: 324 SH 1 (4km north of Warkworth), Warkworth, New Zealand
Phone: +64 9-425 7444
Scuba diving (yes and no equipment) is also a popular attraction near Goat Island Marine Reserve. Pakiri beach is also nearby, suitable for those who love surfing or swimming.
Alternatively, you can catch a ferry to Kawau Island, known for its famous historic villa area and an old copper mine.
Auckland itinerary 7 days — Day 7: Hot mineral pool at Waiwera Thermal Resort & Spa – Walk around Auckland
Waiwera Thermal Resort & Spa
The last day in the 7 days in Auckland itinerary, you can enjoy a slower and more relaxed pace, starting with a dip yourself in the relaxing hot spring pool at Waiwera Thermal Resort & Spa. This will be a “compensating” therapy for your previous fun and active days in Auckland.
Waiwera Thermal Resort & Spa
Address: 21 Waiwera Road, Waiwera, New Zealand
Phone: +64 800 924 9372
Hours: 10:00 AM – 9:00 PM
If you still want to take advantage of the rest of the day, move to Wenderholm Park or Mightrey Historic House (only open on weekends and holidays). But if your last day doesn’t fall at the time, you can still stroll along the picturesque local coastline, drop in to buy some snacks in Orewa and have a romantic picnic by the beach.
Usually the final day itinerary will be the time when you “Firefighting” and visit places where you have not been able to arrange time to visit. Instead of giving a fixed (or others) Auckland sights (or sites) as previous days, Living Nomads only suggests a few of your destinations such as: Estuary Arts Centre, Whangaparaoa Peninsula or Public Farms at Shakespeare Park. If you love golf aristocratic sport, you can try it at Whangaparoa Golf Club then come back to enjoy an Auckland meal before finishing your trip with the Auckland itinerary 7 days.
Some useful travel tips for you when visiting Auckland:
- Let’s make spread reasonable planning, Auckland tourism not only has Sky Tower!
Waiheke Island is a paradise of unbelievably beautiful vineyards and beaches.
- If visit Auckland in the summer, you can experience free watching outdoor movies at Silo Park. All you need is a picnic chair and relaxing time.
- Don’t miss the opportunity to kayaking at the night on Rangitoto Island. You will be watching a unforgettable sunset while immersing yourself in Auckland’s twinkling skyline – really amazing.
- Always remember to bring umbrella, sunscreen or shawl, because of the “unpredictable” weather in Auckland, you won’t know what the next sky will be like.
Some best day tours, trips, activities and transfer services, tickets in, from and to Auckland you can refer to
- Taste of Waiheke Day Tour from Auckland
- Hobbiton Express Small Group Tour with Lunch from Auckland
- Karekare Waterfalls and Piha Beach Day Tour from Auckland
- Auckland Zoo Ticket
- Auckland Explorer Bus Hop-On Hop-Off Pass 24 or 48 Hour with Devonport ferry
- SkyTower Auckland Tickets
- Auckland War Memorial Museum Ticket
- SkyBus Auckland Airport (AKL) Express Transfer Ticket
- SheepWorld Admission Ticket
- Private Auckland Airport (AKL) Transfers for Auckland
- Shared and Private Auckland Airport (AKL) Transfers to/from Auckland CBD
- Soaring Kiwi Hop On Hop Off Bus Pass in Auckland (24 or 48 Hours)
Are you looking for more top things to do in New Zealand: Tours, activities, attractions and other things? Let’s check it out here.