Here is the shop that will make the “addicts” collapse at the first sight. In Vietnam, “Fresh milk with black sugar pearls” is too familiar to a lot of people but the origin of this legend is Tiger Sugar.
- Taipei recommended restaurants — 7 Cheap Taipei must eat restaurants & must try restaurants in Taipei
- Best coffee in Taipei — Top 6 best coffee shops in Taipei you definitely must visit
- Explore Taipei Fish Market — Review seafood experience at Taiwan’s most famous fish market
- Best dessert in Taipei — Top 5 sweet cafes & best dessert restaurant in Taipei
- Must eat food in Taipei — Top 24 best street food in Taipei & best places to eat them
What to order?
Of course, fresh milk with brown sugar (Brown Sugar Boba Milk) is the top option. All of the items here are related to BROWN SUGAR, so I see no big difference between the options. However, you can choose different flavors or types of milk/tea according to your preference. Brown sugar at Tiger Sugar is a specialty. Sounds like a lot of sugar but it’s not completely sweet (so don’t feel guilty if you’re on a diet). It is suitable for those who are concerned about their weight but still passionate in having a cup of milk tea. Tiger Sugar takes care of every drop of brown sugar syrup that flows into your cup so that it has the most beautiful Tiger-style texture. So, your first sip will definitely be different from fresh milk with black sugar pearls in Vietnam or small shops in Taiwan. The largest cup here costs only 55 TWD, which is completely reasonable for a gigantic cup!
In addition, Tiger Sugar has just released a new dish called “Creamy Cookies”, only 15 TWD/piece. So delicious! Let’s have a cup of drink and a piece of cookie to complete your day.
Le Phare 樂法
Le Phare not only offers milk tea but also juice and fresh tea. Le Phare has been dubbed as Taipei’s “freshest” restaurant because of the full use of fresh fruit as ingredient. If you’ve got tired of sweet black sugar pearls, you can drop by here to “purify” your body with the most “natural and organic” drinks. But it is not as simple as fruit juice of Vietnam. Although the raw material is fresh, after squeezing it out, it is processed into a lot of different drinks with beautiful colors. Great appearance and awesome taste, you may faint after one sip because of the delicious flavor.
What to order?
- Apple Fresh Green / Apple Fresh Red (蘋果鮮綠 / 蘋果鮮紅)
- Black tea (紅茶拿鐵)
- Cassia fresh milk tea (決明子鮮奶茶)
- Black rose tea (玫瑰紅茶拿鐵)
- Fresh milk dragon fruit juice (火龍果的紅色熱情)
The price for a cup at Le Phare ranges from 40 – 100 TWD. It sounds a bit high, but you will see if it’s worth it when trying it. It is always worth it. The truth is that you will feel the aroma and deliciousness of the fruit different from similar drinks in Vietnam (In Vietnam, one cup of smoothie or juice contains mostly ice). We recommend you not to add sugar to have the most authentic taste!
TP Tea (茶湯會)
This is also a long-standing brand with more than 200 stores – the partner of Chun Shui Tang, the famous tea brand in Taiwan. The most important point of TP TEA is TEA. Depending on each drink and the type of tea that TP Tea has its own adjustments on the amount of water, temperature, tea brewing time etc. So, when coming to TP Tea, you will experience the most authentic taste of tea. Even the ice cube in the cup is clear, square-shaped and weighed accurately to every single gram. This is enough to understand how far TP Tea goes, right?
What to order?
TEA or LATTE drinks everyone! Price ranges from 25 – 70 TWD. I am personally addicted to Pearl Black Tea Latte with Red Bean. The pearl here is chewy and crunchy, combined with red beans and fresh flavored milk will make the tea taste so much better. Try it and you’ll know.
In addition to the tea, TP Tea also has two special types of toast, which look high in calories but taste super delicious. I will just call them Taro Toast and Milk Tea Toast (金沙芋泥吐司 / 爆漿珍奶吐司) for you to understand more easily.
- Taro toast: One bite will make the salted egg yolk inside to come out. Soft toast with sweet and salty flavor is quite strange to the taste.
- Milk tea toast: There are also pearls. The toast is hot outside with milk tea and pearls inside. However, the taste of the sauce is slightly sweeter than the usual milk tea at the store, so it is suitable for those that have a sweet tooth.
This brand of milk tea has been introduced in Vietnam, but having it at the origin is still the best. Ingredients are also selected from a variety of fruits like Le Phare, but Yifang excels in fruit tea products.
What to order?
I personally think that the drinks made of passion fruit and sugarcane are pretty unique and delicious. In Vietnam, we have sugarcane juice, but coming to Taipei the must-try should be sugarcane fresh milk or sugarcane tea. Rest assured there won’t be any abdominal pain since food safety cases are penalized really strictly in Taiwan. In addition, the most special drinks rated by the shop are:
- Yifang fruit tea (一芳水果茶)
- Fresh milk with black sugar pearls (黑糖珍珠鲜奶)
The price of a cup of tea here is quite cheap. Having a cup of tea after wandering around will make your day perfect. Other drinks such as latte and milk tea are a little more expensive but still in the middle range. You will have peace of mind when taking your sips. Not expensive at all!
There are cute things here. Not only the drinks, what makes me excited in Chingshin is the adorable cup. Girls must definitely visit this place. From manga cartoon characters to fictional characters that are highly viral on social media are all get portrayed on the cup season-by-season. Taiwanese youth also have a collection of Chingshin cups.
One of the reasons for Chingshin to change their cups seasonally is to attract customers by their cuteness. Then the cups are retained and reused for environmental protection. This is also the big impression of Chingshin.
What to order?
Founded in 1987, it is considered one of the oldest brands in Taiwan. The tea here is quite traditional due to its bold and bitterness. If you like milder taste, you can choose Pearl Sesame Latte, or a little sweet, choose Oolong Milk Tea. For those who want to feel the traditional tea taste with a little bitterness but light sweet after-taste, choose Honey Oolong Tea. Taiwan Four Seasons Oolong Tea is also a must-try but this drink is quite bold with a lot bitterness but also has great scent. Price ranges from 20 – 70 TWD.
* A few more tips for you: Because I went to Taiwan just to drink milk tea (honestly speaking!), I have the following tips. The “addicts” can follow me to make the trip easier.
Some notes to drink better milk tea in Taiwan
- Large stores will often use English, while small bars speak only Chinese.
- There are many different types of tea, such as: Black tea, Green tea, Oolong tea, Guanyin Tea. Green tea and Oolong tea tend to be darker, slightly bitter, but wonderfully fragrant.
- There are two components of milk: Milk powder with fatty and strong flavor; fragrant fresh milk.
- Pearls: There are usually two types of seeds: big and small ones. Large seeds are chewy and sweet. Small seeds are smoother and crisper, and eat well. There are also jelly or pudding toppings.
- The amount of sugar – ice is dependent on your preference: no, less, half, more, regular.
- After drinking milk tea in Taiwan, if you begin to crave it so much afterwards, let’s learn how to make it. When being back home, you may have a way to solve severe craving attacks. Maybe after finishing the course, you can even open a Taiwanese milk tea stall when coming back to Vietnam. Getting rich is not difficult, guys.
- Additional categories for food lovers: Taipei’s best pastry shops and the famous Little Dragon Dumpling are also something you should not miss. Already flying all the way over here, you should eat well before coming back home.
We’re done for now. Wish the “addicts” have a happy journey and the way you take may be full of milk tea. Best regards!
Some best day tours, trips, activities and transfer services, tickets in, to and from Taipei you can refer to
- Taoyuan Airport Private Transfers (TPE) for Taipei
- Sedan Taoyuan Airport Transfers (TPE) for Taipei
- [SALE] Taoyuan Airport MRT Ticket & Exclusive Shopping Coupon
- Luxury Taoyuan Airport Transfers (TPE) for Taipei
- Explore Taipei City
- Taipei Free Walking Tour Historic Route
- Taipei Double Decker Bus Tour
- Taipei Popular Sightseeing Private Car Charter : Jiufen, Pingxi, and North Coast (Chinese/English/Korean)
- Northeast Coast Scenic Day Tour
- Jiufen Shuttle Bus from Ximen
- Yehliu, Shifen, and Jiufen Day Tour with Korean and English Speaking Guides
- [10% Off + 1 Extra Free Day] 4G SIM Card (TW Airport Pick Up) for Taiwan from Chunghwa Telecom
- 4G SIM Card (TPE Airport Pick Up) for Taiwan from Far EasTone Telecom
- 4G WiFi (TW Airport Pick Up) for Taiwan
- 4G Portable WiFi for Taiwan from Uroaming (Unlimited Data)
- 4G Portable WiFi for Taiwan from WiFiBB (Unlimited Data)
- 4G LTE WiFi (TW Airport Pick Up) for Japan
- [Sale – Taiwan Food Promo] Taiwan High Speed Rail (THSR) Discounted Ticket from Taipei
- Taiwan High Speed Rail (THSR) Consecutive Unlimited Pass (2 or 3 Days)
- Taiwan High Speed Rail (THSR) Discounted Ticket from Taoyuan
- THSR Exclusive Discount One Way Ticket from Taoyuan (Two Tickets for the Price of One)
Are you finding more top things to do in Taipei: Tours, activities, attractions and other things? Read more: Taipei travel blog — The fullest Taipei city guide for a wonderful trip to Taipei for the first-timers.