Winter in Korea though is very cold but it is so beautiful because it is covered with soft white snow. In fact, if you travel to Korea in the winter, you can also experience a variety of activities, from skiing to the sauna or hot springs. Let’s discover travel Korea in winter — 5 great experiences you can’t miss when coming to Korea in winter.
- Skiing in South Korea — Top 5 best ski resorts in Korea
- South Korea travel experience — 20 famous places & top things to do in South Korea
- South Korea spring trip blog — A fantastic spring journey in South Korea
- South Korea winter festivals — Top 3 winter festival in Korea you must attend
- Elysian Gangchon Ski Resort Review — Review a ski day in Gangwon, super cool, extremely value for money
1. Skiing, skating
These are two experiences you should not miss when you travel to Korea in this winter. East and North Korea are snow-capped mountains, here is suitable for joining in winter activities. In Korea, there are plenty of ski resorts with full facilities so that visitors can have great experiences with skiing.
The most popular outdoor skiing place in Korea is the Seorak Mountains. You only take 7 minutes of sitting on the cable car; visitors have come to the largest outdoor ski resort in Korea. It is designed to scale with ideal slopes, speedy slopes suitable for everyone and lift systems which can support you to move. Coming here, in addition to skiing, visitors can take part in many other games such as sliding, skating, hiking, snow jumping, etc. If you want to try with ice skating, you can go to some of the popular attractions; such as the Grand Hyatt Seoul Hotel, Yeouido Park, the Seoul Indoor Ski Resort…
2. Enjoy spicy and hot food
Winter cuisine with a spicy and hot feature is also a tourist attraction to the land of kimchi, help you warm up the body and wake up your taste. Stewed fish (spicy beef stew soup, chopped kimchi soup, hot spicy fish soup), hot noodle or spicy chicken, spicy rice … are hot spicy Korean dishes are good for health. It helps keep the body warm in the cold weather of winter in this country.
In addition, grilled sweet potatoes and greasy chestnuts, grilled fish skewers, tokbokki rice cakes … are also the most popular street food in winter in Korea and they attract many tourists. It’s not hard to find, you can easily meet the stalls selling these dishes at many corners of the street, the exit of the subway.
3. Go ice fishing
Fishing on ice is one of the most fun activities in winter in Korea. Whenever the winter comes, thousands of people flock to the Hwacheon Sancheoneo festival in Gangwon province. The festival is held from April to 26 January every year. This is a good time for visitors to fish, catch fish by hand, and play snowboard, ice ball… Therefore, every year, fishing festival on ice attracted a lot of visitors, including local people and foreigners.
You need to prepare clothes, winter shoes which are best to have thorn soles to go on snow, slip gloves, wool caps, sunglasses. Although never fishing, when you come here, you will be instructed how to punch holes in the ice, how to drop fishing rods.
4. Relax at a Jimjilbang or hot springs
One Jimjilbang is a Korean bathroom. These bathrooms often include a hot tub, sauna and a cozy bedroom located on the floor. When showering, everyone must be naked and the bathroom has a division of the area for men and women.
If you do not like Jimjilbang, natural hot springs are another option you can mention. In the cold weather, go out of the city and dive into one of the hot mineral water pools around the country to enjoy the warmth of nature.
5. Join the polar bear swimming competition
Every year, when the winter comes, Haeundae Beach in Busan City organizes Polar Bear Swimming Competition for those who are brave enough to take a dip in the cold water. This competition attracts about 2,000 people from many countries in the world. It is said to be the largest winter festival in Korea. In addition to swimming, visitors come to the competition also have the opportunity to enjoy a concert or soak in the hot spring.
Some best day tours, trips, activities and transfer services, tickets in and from Seoul you can refer to
- Private Incheon International Airport Transfers (ICN) for Seoul
- Private Incheon Airport Transfers (ICN) for Seoul
- Incheon International Airport (ICN) Limousine Bus Transfers for Seoul (Gangnam District)
- Klook Exclusive Seoul 5 Day Pass
- Discover Seoul Pass (BTS Edition Available)
- [SALE] Instant Ticket! Korea Rail Pass (KR PASS) 2/3/4/5 Days to travel around the cities in Korea
- Private Incheon Airport (ICN) and Gimpo Airport (GMP) Transfers for Seoul by S.A Tour
- Everland Private Car Charter with Admission Ticket by Wondertrip
- KAL Limousine Bus Ticket for Seoul
- [Limited Offer] AREX Incheon Airport Express Train One Way Ticket in Seoul
- Bukchon Oneday Hanbok Rental Experience (4/24 Hrs)
- Nami Island, Petite France, Garden of Morning Calm, and Gangchon Rail Bike Day Tour from Seoul
- Seoul City Sightseeing Bus (Downtown Palace Namsan Course/Seoul Panorama Course)
- [Limited Offer] Incheon International Airport (ICN) Luggage Services (Between Airport and Hotel) by Safex
- 4G Prepaid SIM Card (SK Airports Pick Up) for South Korea
- [Sale] Hanbok Experience (Hanboknam Gyeongbokgung Store) with Korean Hairstyling
- [SALE] South Korea 4G Pocket WiFi (KR Airports Pick Up) from KT Olleh
- 4G WiFi (MY Airport Pick Up) for South Korea (Unlimited Data)
- 4G Portable WiFi for South Korea from Uroaming (Unlimited Data)
Are you finding more top things to do in Seoul: Tours, activities, attractions and other things? Let’s check it out here.